1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Carb Question

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by kwalker, Aug 2, 2004.

1. kwalker

kwalker New Member

Hopefully this isn't a dumb question.

If I understand this right, you should rejet the carb (and change air filters)when you change exhaust. If you dont rejet the carb, you could run lean and possibly damage the engine. If I understand how a carb works (and I may not), the fuel is supplied by the "jets". The size of the "jets" determine the ammount of fuel delivered. If that is the case, why would changin the exhaust make the bike run leaner if fuel delivery by the jets remain unchanged. Will it actually damage the engine if you dont rejet or will it just impact on performance? Just wondering.......I read this forum alot and have found some excellent advice here. Thanks in advance for your replys.
  2. ffflhtcui

ffflhtcui New Member

Fuel mixture is a sometimes delicate balance between fuel and air. Too much fuel compared to air, you get a rich mixture which burns a little cooler and can turn the pipes blue. Too much air, a hotter running engine and gold colored pipes.

That being said, sometimes when you change exhaust, you can increase the outgoing airflow capacity. If the intake side is capable of delivering more air than it was doing with stock exhaust, then you will be flowing more air than before with no increase in fuel delivery capacity. This situation can cause the bike to run lean.

Since Harley Davidson ships most of their motorcycles already running pretty lean, any increase in airflow without adjusting the fuel flow will typically cause the bike to run too lean, or too hot. Thus, the possibility of damage.

Many people believe that changing the exhaust alone does not necessitate the need to change the jetting. But, the best advice I've read on this forum is.......take full advantage of any upgrades you make. Therefore, if you change the exhaust to one which flows more air, then also you should open up the intake by installing a high flow breather and then re-jet the carb or re-calibrate the fuel injection.

Example: I ran my 2002 Wideglide for about a year and a half with SE mufflers and no other mods. It ran great, got great mileage, no complaints. I then changed to highflow air and re-jetted. It now runs even much better and I didn't suffer any lost of fuel efficiency. I wish I had done everything originally.
  3. kwalker

kwalker New Member

excellent explanation.......just installed Bigshots Staggered on my 04 Fatboy.......wow. Getting the carb rejetted tomorrow and installing high air flow kit. Thanks for the lesson and advice.
  4. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

dittos here fff

did the same thing with my 02wide glide except went with other slip ons from either cycleshack, chromewerks I think or they were dyna flows..heck I really do not remember right now.. (I took them off my 01 that was totaled)but the SE (or Arlen Ness big sucker) make a difference real quick and the jets were EZ and did it al in about 20-30 minutes to install the air cleaner kit. :cool: