1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.
  1. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Our second of 4 road trips is coming up August 14. As the title says heading to Caribou, ME the backway going and then the express (I-95 south) way coming home. Anyone have any regional suggestions or things to see?

It'll be a little over 1000 miles round trip. Heading up NH st rt 16N out of Gorham, NH to rangeley, ME and over to I-95 thru Millinocket,ME then up to rt 1 to Caribou.

Thanks, John
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Stop by the Bush compound, tell them I said Duh Huh
    they'll know whut ah mean...
  3. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

I'll be there this weekend. Used to vacation there years ago when senior was prez. Saw his black suburbans cruising around da hood. Wife and I use to jog past compound. Lots of security and pill boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. badinfluence63

Youse guys coming to Maine? Riding? Driving? Cool!
  5. Fatboy128

Driving unfortunately. Wife has spinal stenosis. Can't ride more than about 20 miles once in a while. Meeting son and his family who is moving there from AZ. Helping them move in.

6. badinfluence63

Working 12 hour shifts this weekend or I'd offer to help.
  7. marc 55

marc 55 Well-Known Member

Caribou...That is potato country as far as the eye can see...Millinocket use to have some pulp mills that you could tour...Just follow your nose, you will never forget the smell...Took Route 1 South from Machias years ago and it was beautiful with stops in Acadia, Camden, and Boothbay Harbor...I could have spent weeks driving around there...Fog in the evenings and early in the morning...Have fun...
  8. badinfluence63

Machias.....a town featured in a stephen king novel and mini series...."
    storm of the century" great mini series.
  9. badinfluence63

Trying to book rooms ahead of time and its slim pickings up there in king field,Brownsville, bingham, milo etc...no chain hotels mostly low key mom and pop deals. Almost stayed at the herbert grand hotel in kingfield until i noticed no tv,ac or restaurant as advertised. Couple high end places but either booked up or too much $$.

Herbert grand hotel is sketchy. Went to cancel and the same lady who took the reservation and told me i had 14 days to cancel now said it was 15 days. I explained she never said that. We discussed a bit and she relented she would refund the whole amount but when i called the credit card company she'd already charged the card. And that was screwed up because when i made the reservation she said it was only to hold the room and wouldn't be charged until i showed up. Keepimg 20% is not alot its the point. She never mentioned 15 days else i would have called yesterday. Hopefully she will refund the whole amount like she said or worse case scenario she keeps the whole thing. Time will tell.
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  10. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Wow, 14-15 days notice that's rediculas. Hope you get your money back.
  11. badinfluence63

Yes it is.

I don't reserve rooms when on the road april/may or sept/oct. however its risky not to during june/july/august and i dislike booking sight unseen. I usually get disapointed. I may quit touring during the summer months. Roads crowded, to hot, rooms over priced and i prefer not to book sight unseen.

And we usually but not always prefer places like holiday inn,ramada etcc because they are predictable. I stay away from quality inn,super 8 etc..

Good news the spill over hotel in stratton,ME as nice,fairly inexpensive and tv and AC!

http://spillovermaine.com
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    FLHTbiker likes this.
  12. hotroadking

If she doesn't credit, then just dispute it when the bill comes in.

INteresting looking Hotel though,

http://www.herbertgrandhotel.com/

HISTORY COMES ALIVE AT THE HERBERT GRAND HOTEL! Built in 1918 at the gateway to Sugarloaf and Saddleback mountains, the Herbert Grand Hotel was once a gathering spot for Prohibition-era Maine politicians to indulge in women, wine and song. Some of these guests never left and are rumored to haunt the hotel. Nearly 100 years later, the Herbert Grand Hotel continues a tradition of providing lodging to snowmobilers, Sugarloaf and Saddleback skiers and snowboarders, hikers, hunters and visitors to the western mountains of Maine. We are the premier hotel near Sugarloaf Mountain and Saddleback Mountain!
  13. Fatboy128

Call credit card company and dispute claim. Shouldn't have to pay.
    If my wife wasn't a teacher ( summer vacations only) I wouldn't vacation in July and August. I'm fed up after 2 days up here. This sucks being a freaking tourist amongst tourists. I hate it. Damn BLTs cost ten bucks and 3 pancakes are $9.50 plus 2.50 if you want real maple syrup WTF!

14. hotroadking

Quit yer bellyachin and enjoy the time with your wife...

Winter will be here soon and yer ass will be out in the cold
    shovelin snow and shit...
    FLHTbiker likes this.
  15. badinfluence63

Thats what caught my eye initially but read the reviews...i got stuck in a shithole one night after a long hard day on the road and it didn't help. Plus most stuff they advertise the don't have. The say they have AC, breakfast buffet and a restaurant and a lounge and they don't. It may look good on the outside but on the inside not so much. The reviews are 50/50 good or bad. Thats concernable. This other place i picked the spillover hotel has predominantly good reviews and the few negatives don't use word like disgusting,a dump etc..like 1/2 the reviews on the herbert grand.
  16. badinfluence63

Eastern Maine in the summer sux. Its jacked over priced and sounds like full of quebecois. A recipe for constant agrivation.
  17. Fatboy128

Yep. I wish HRK was here to liven things up a bit.
    [​IMG]

18. hotroadking

Bon choix monsieur fatboy
  19. Fatboy128

I think he said something about a box of rice chex

FLHTbiker likes this.
  20. badinfluence63

I got this email last night. Hope its true:

Mr. Henderson --

We have processed a refund in the amount of $87.01 to your credit card ending in **** for your cancellation of a reservation for the night of August 14, 2015.

Please give me a call if you have questions.

Sincerely,
    Dawn Sova