1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Chaps or No

Discussion in 'The Polling place' started by FlynDutchman, Mar 29, 2008.

?

Chaps: wear em or no ?

Poll closed Mar 29, 2009.
  1. Always: They're comfortable

16 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Yes, but I ride where nobody will recognize me

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  3. I would If I had em but I dont own any

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  4. No, they make you look like a freak. I dont care how cold it is

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  1. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

I am in the better cow hide than my hide crowd. Don't give a rat's rear what other think or say. Sticker says "Judge me all you want but keep the verdict to yourself" and I pretty much live by that rule. I simply haven't had the free funds to purchase a set as of yet (too much changin the bike to worry with important things LOL).

SPORTSTERBOY you lose a wheel on that Sporty of yours and I for one will be disappointed. Seen your work, and I know you are better than that :roflmao: .
  2. ruffrider11

ruffrider11 New Member

I bought some this winter and like em keeps my old legs warm
  3. GreyBear

GreyBear New Member

Nomad, currently the Blue Ridge Mountains
    Who cares

I wear 'em when the temps are a bit nippy, and as I get older that mark seems to go up a bit. Used to not be cold riding until it was in the low 40's, now sometimes 50 seems chilly. As to what people think, let them get there sorry butts out and ride instead of sitting watching TV and they earn a right to talk, until then.....

Ride Free, Bear
  4. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

I wear them

On any long road trip, cool outside or hot outside the hot temps never bother me and the weight to me actually subdues the vibrations even more on longer trips and the rocks flying up have hit me more than once in the knees..However I usualy don't put them on when I go to a poker run at 90+ degrees in July,,nor the coat then. But high top boots always jeans, got the leather vest in case of slide. Been down real bad before when I got hit by a 92 yr old lady in a ford LTD. only had T-shirt jeans and my boots. the boots made it and I was lucky too but everything else including my passenger did not( the ol lady lived too). So I wear what I want when I want. BUT....I have thought certain people looked kinda silly "all decked out" at some of those town poker runs. You can tell the newbies and their spouses in the get ups. Gives the view to me of " all out posing/pretending" like they are wearing them to look the part and not because of what the chaps are for. But then again who am I to judge someone. If they go for a slide they will be ready. So wear what ya want :cool: and no one should give a hoot nor should you worry, do it for your reasons.:D :cool:
  5. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

I really dont care what people think either, I bought em for the comfort aspect....But I do know Im gonna catch hell....thats just the way it is at the firehouse...
  6. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I only where them in the colder weather 50-55 & colder don't care where I'am going local or road trip hot is hot to me so there in the closet till it's cold again
  7. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

I wear them an all road trips, in the rain in the snow, etc. the other pair i wear when i am "cowboyin" don't be mistaken I have went with out before but then i get the uneasy feeling and will stop and throw them on kinda on the lid thing if it requires a lid the leathers go also, I am a heat person so wearing it doesn't bother me, when i go to town i usually won't throw them on unless it is cold 50-, not that I will slide any lighter or slower in town. last year I rode through some freezeing fog by the time i got home i had about an inch of ice layered on my leathers, but was still dry, cold but dry. started out in 60+ weather. as for the kevlar, buddy of mine put it this way, "if i go down i might be busted up but i will still in one piece" .
  8. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

oh and by the way I have never givin, or will most likely, never give a rats patoot what anyone ever thinks of how i look or how i dress, my opinions or thoughts, what i ride or drive, etc. it's a waste of time. time better spent pissing those people off:D
  9. Tiny86

Tiny86 New Member

Judge not, less thee be judged. Hay Flyndutchman as a fellow FF/EMT ive often thought of wearing my Bunker gear to see how warm it is in the winter that, would get some attention. I know my Quest works good in the HEAT.There are 4 of us bikers in my VFD and several Professional FF that we ride with. They shouldn't give you to much he$$. Just Tell them PPE. I carry my Leathers all the time Down here in Texas it may be 100 deg one minute and 50 deg the next:wtf:
    :gah:
    Tiny
  10. fubar

fubar New Member

whoa road rash yuk

welp in 1981 i was t-boned by a car 14 months in cast lots of bs after the fact i wear in cold and on days im gonna ride a few 100 miles im 48 ive been hurt now i protect my self road rash i know oh aND GLOVES TOO HAD THE PALM OF MY HAND ROLLED UP TO MY WRIST BLACK FROM ASPHALT ouch
  11. fubar

fubar New Member

secondly i dont worry what people think my experence is most dont lmao
  12. stressreleaseme

stressreleaseme New Member

Chaps

I always wear them on 200+ mile trips cause they keep you warm and are good protection.
  13. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

I should really invest in a pair, more for the safety and cold aspect than any thing else. I never give/gave a f**k what anybody thinks of me before, why should I now!? I would prefer to keep my skin ON my body than on the street!
  14. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

Id be luckey to get a day over 70....Its gonna be 63 today & Im workin...(not hard as you can tell) Cant imagine the looks Id get in turnouts on the motorcycle....There are days when I get to the station & they send me to another....I usually grab a staff car if Im on the bike...cause of all the gear we gotta have....belts, straps, radio, box lights....you know the drill.
  15. jnputt

jnputt New Member

I agree with you guys, I wear mine on cold days, damp 60deg mornings and long runs. Usually fall back on my Levis for the warmer days.
    NEVER shorts (boney knees).
    As to what anybody else has to say about my attire: Opinions are like a--holes - Everyone has one!!
  16. TM103

TM103 Active Member

I'm like Chuck. When it is down to 50 I put um on.;)
  17. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

Try this place....Leather Mall got mine for like $48 after all was said & done....Its a pretty nice set, they come un-hemmed. I took em to my local cleaners (who by the way fixed my 20 year old leather jacket) & it cost me another $20 to have em hemmed. still not a bad deal I think.
  18. sparky

sparky New Member

Wearing Chaps

I dont and have not ever wore chaps I wear a leather motorcycle ridding pants when the weather is cold. But I do very much like the girl in chucktx pitcher in the black dress. If only all girls could look like that wearing that dress
  19. steveb

steveb Active Member

I don't care a rats behind what anybody thinks about me .When it is below 55 degrees I will be wearing my chaps. I like riding with my feet out on the highway pegs and the chaps keep my legs warm when it cold. Once it gets above 65-70 degrees I do not wear them unless it is a damp moring with fog.
  20. vcj5864

vcj5864 New Member

Below 40 or long road trips and those times of the year when you don't know what the weathers gonna do. I'm in northeast Wyoming and they are a must to ride more than 4 months of the year! Better than bright orange "raingear" or trashbags if your worried about how you look. Ten miles in the wind and their dry again. Isn't that what God made dead cows for anyway?

I bought my last pair in November though and hung 'em outside on the clothesline for three months first. A little saddlesoap and they were supple and ready to go and no worries about looking like a "tag" rider!