1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Chrome or powder coat luggage rack?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by The Tourist, Nov 4, 2010.

1. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned A-Hole

That is both the problem and the benefit.

This bike must be used for business. It has to run on pennies--and in fact over 2/3s of the fuel I bought this year was paid for with coins.

The rack cost a little over 100 bucks and the roll was a little over 80 dollars.

It functioned, but not easily. I willingly sacrificed convenience for cost. But in doing that learning curve I also picked up some info.

Since the mounting hardware on the bike never changes, I can buy any detachable rack to use as a duplicate, and just leave the roll strapped to the first rack for business. As I stated, the detachment knobs are loosening up and it's not such a pain to take the rack off of the bike.

And that's what started this debate. I'm starting from zero again. Perhaps I should be asking you guys for a better rack, not just a color.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

here is a pretty nice rack.........

Attached Files:

3. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

If you get any other quick detachable accessory from H-D, it will use the exact same docking system you already have. If you want a permanent mount, you have several choices: Kuryakin, Motherwell, Arlen Ness, etc.

Personally, I like all the detachable stuff from H-D. I got the big rack and backrest for short trips with my wife on the StreetGlide, also the chopped TourPak for when my wife comes with me on longer trips. They're so easy to swap that I can't imagine going anywhere without them. If I'm doing a day ride with the guys, I take everything off and put on the solo seat (30 seconds to change all). NOBODY does this as well as H-D.

So yes, there are better ways to go, even on the Sporty. I think you could even run the chopped TourPak on it. Hey, if you're using it for work, that kind of secure and waterproof storage is critical, but will cost more.
  4. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Chuck, I like your rack better, but can I swap it for the one I've got?
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

there is always that possibility.........................!
  6. The Tourist

Yeah, me too!

Do you think she can carry a bag big enough to hold gym clothes and sharpening stones?:D
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Chuck she looks cold, better send her here for the winter!

BTW if you have an existing rack
    and you trade that rack for chucks Rack

it's gonna cost you at least half
    of everything.

But it might be worth it...
  8. The Tourist

No doubt. But I'm trying to accomplish two things, and one of them is hauling equipment--which has a specific overall length.

And it's a Sportster. In many ways I'm trying to make a 'silk purse.' While the bike has to enhance my business, it's still a bike I ride for pleasure. And I'm trying to keep a promise I made, and that is to do this cheaply.

For example, lots of guys would have bought better saddlebags for this style of storage. A Sportster 48 has a side-mount license plate bracket. If you read the nomenclature on the Sportster parts page, these bags don't fit many modern XLs.

That is, without some major mods in wiring, new bracket pieces, down time, etc. In many ways I might find the 1200 Low to be better here--if I could find some forward controls to fit me, again for additional cost...

Lots of the guys at the gym just bought back-packs at Dick's, and I just did the same. I needed a new bag, I can wear this on a bike or just toss it into my truck.

For something I thought was going to be so simple, cheap and readily available, this project has been one big kick in the keester.