1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Clear bra attempt

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Hot01, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

What a freaking nightmare. :gah:

I'm sure it wouldn't be so bad if you had either a) pre-cut pieces or b) a somewhat flat surface that you are covering. I used up about $25 worth of film, almost attacked my boyfriend with the box cutter, and ended up taking it to a professional who apparently dropped one of the lids and scratched the uncovered paint.

My boyfriend actually took the lids in for me while I was working. They were in the same place on the floor of the kitchen when I got home and didn't even realize the clear bra was on there, so it looks good. However, when I picked it up for a close inspection I noticed that there was a small but deep scratch right next to the edge of the film. There's a call into the place, but I don't know what they'll be able or willing to do about it. I'm just pissed they didn't come clean when he picked the lids up. :rant: But, I'm ready for Daytona... as soon as I cover the fender. Hopefully that will be easier since it's flatter than my saddlebags.
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

:roflmao: Sorry but it sounds funnie from here , I did the section on my rear fender E glide right below the T light , so I could hang a tool bag there & not rub the paint off easy to do my firest time working with this stuff & came out fine :cool:
  3. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

They say the scratch was there, and they thought I knew and that's why I was putting the stuff on. Seeing as how it was not the piece I was tearing my hair out over and hadn't looked that closely at it, it's possible. The guy said if I could give him some touch up paint, he'd fix it and redo that piece of clear bra so it covers the spot. Can't ask for much more than that. Just one more hassle. After Daytona. Fortunately it's very hard to see.
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

nice to see ya posting again!!!!!!!! were you using a soap/water mix on the surface before applying the bra?????
  5. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Oh yeah. LOTS of soapy water. I never even made it to the alcohol part. It was because they are curved and rounded that it was such a pain. The stuff was overlapping and I tried to cut darts out of it, and then the points of the darts would pucker up. I squeegeed and squeegeed and as soon as one place would flatten out, another would pop up. :rant: I'll still do the rear fender though. I think that will be a walk in the park, especially after my experience with the saddlebags.

It probably would have been worthwhile to practice on a small round object to get a feel for it and figure out how to make it work. The professional was wishing he'd never taken on the project, but he did a good job. He also used a 6" strip of the stuff where I had a 24" wide piece and was trying to cut out a pattern made from freezer paper. If I had more time and plenty of material, I wouldn't have given up after only three tries. I probably should have started the project a few months ago.
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

curves and bends are a pain!!!!! but glad ya got it handled.....let me know if ya get close to houston on your trip.........plenty of room!!!!
  7. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Those light over Texas the other day are now explained it was Abby's boy friends eye's looking at her with a box cutter :roflmao: , I could'nt resist
    good to here you have all covered now best wishes on you ride