1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Clutch problems

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by hgeiger910, Aug 3, 2004.

1. hgeiger910

hgeiger910 New Member

Howdy, y'alls!

Learned quite a bit from reading some of the posts but now I have my own problem. I'm riding a 2003 HD Electra Glide Classic with Stage II 95 ci big bore kit which was installed even before I picked up the bike new.
    I know that the Stage II kit includes some stiffer clutch springs but it is getting really bothersome. I lost the clutch cable at 9500 miles (snapped right off at the eye lid where the cable is welded on) and got it replaced on warranty. After that (until they did the next service), the clutch pull was way easier. Ever since then (I am now close to 20K), I needed more and more force to pull in the clutch. I am usually doing my own maintenance (2500 and 5000) and follow the maintenance manual religiously.
    I lubed the cable (as much as possible as it seems very difficult to get some lube in there), the pivot point and other things on the lever, I adjusted the cable properly and made sure that the correct amount of primary fluids (am using synthetics) is added. Right now, short of adjusting the clutch or adding the EZ clutch, what else would there be for me to do? Thanks for your help!
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2004
  2. CD

CD Guest

If the effort is increasingly harder it is telling you something is wrong. There are a few options. Since you already snapped a cable which is not usual anymore, then I would try to figure out what is causing it. The common causes I have come across are:

1. Worn or bad clutch perch, pivot pin causing the cable to pull at an angle. Check the perch for wear in the pivot holes and replace pivot pin if worn. Light coat of grease when servicing reduces wear.
    2. Improper cable routing cauisng binding in the cable of routed to close to the engine or exhaust causing internal lining to melt.
    3. Improper lubrication used or none getting down into cable. Too many people use lubricants with dispersants such as chain lube thinking that they will keep the action smooth. Wrong! When the dispersant evaporates you are left with a thick lube right? The cable has to be pulled through this goo and adds to the effort needed. I recommend using a light oil only like 3-1. I'll go into how to do it later.
    4. Binding clutch ramp, bad thowout bearing, bent pushrod or adjuster cocked. All off these require a tear down and inspection.
    5. Frayed cable at either end or the cable binding at the connection to the ramp.
    The above is not in any specific order and I might have brain farted and missed a couple.

Lubing cables is an important and all to often improperly done or not done at all. About every other oil change or three and at least every 10k I remove the clutch cable from the clutch perch and the throttle and idle cables and drip some 3-1 oil in them. I work the cable back and forth to help the oil flow. Secure the cables as upright as possible and do some other tasks and repeat several times. The throttle cables take far less obviously so don't over due it. The clutch cable is partially lubricated by the tranny juice but only as low as where the height is equal to the level of the fluid in the side cover so the whole upper gets dry. The light 3-1 helps a lot here.

If lubing the cable and you know it is in good shape then I would definitely consider a WB EZ clutch. It increases the levrage and does not alter the release point that much. The SE clutch spring set up is pretty notorious for causing a bit of gorilla arm.
    Hope this helps.
  3. Seahag

Seahag New Member

I had problems with the stock clutch and forearm fatigue due to a past bout of carpal tunnel. I knew with going to the big bore this winter and upgrading to the screaming eagle clutch spring that I'd really have some difficulty so I ordered and put in the ez boy light clutch and its wonderfull...the only thing better would be a hydraulic clutch like the metric bikes use. My friend and I switched bikes for a while one day and now he's made me promise to help him install his own this winter. :eek: The process would really be easy but I hate taking off the exhaust and putting it back on. :eek:
  4. hgeiger910

hgeiger910 New Member

Thanks!!!!!

Thanks for your comments! I made sure that during the 20K service, the HD tech checked on all the possible problems and lubed the cable really good. Didn't change a lot so I put in the EZ clutch. Boy, what a difference! It feels as if my left hand is on vacation. Took my bike out into the cascade mountains up to Mt. St. Helens, total 300 miles out of which 175 were twisties with a lot of up and downshifts. Arrived home almost as fresh as I left. No more cramps and carpal tunnel syndrom feelings!!!!
    Thanks!!!!! :)