1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Clutch Removal

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Jul 2, 2014.

1. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like it's welded itself to the rotor
    Pull them both together it's nor going to hurt anything
  2. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Damn! if there is one thing I haven't got yet is that stupid plastic wedge. Harley may sell them now but they never used to sell any tools - bastards. I'm tired of busting up wood on the gears. Once I got a 2 x 2 piece of redwood. That actually worked good a few times. This last time, I cut up a plastic shovel handle and jammed it in there lol. I just keep forgetting to order the right wedge.
  3. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

I don't know anything about sportys but I'd be surprised if that is a pressed on gear????
  4. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Come to learn that the rotor and sprocket are bolted together. SM was pretty vague. OK, pretty smooth sailing now.
    Lucifer likes this.
  5. JohnnyBiker

So far everything that I have seen in the primary has looked pretty good. The only two things that I am questioning are these. One, the comp nut was what I thought way too easy to break loose. Looking at the nut and the threads on the crank it is easy to see that there was no locktite use so this leads me to believe that the comp nut has never been taken off since original install. Two, kind of playing around a little, I can move the adjustment screw back and forth a lot. By this I mean about .125"

Does anyone know if that screw should have that much play in it? One of those things that make you go HMMMMMM?
  6. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I've heard that many of the comp nuts are loose and that the factory did not put Locktite on them. I had a 03 bagger that started making a noise so stopped at the dealer in Boise ID and they found the comp nut very loose. They put Locktite on it and ran it all over AZ with Sleepy, Special K and Dave the founder of Bike Talk and never had a problem with it again.
    What's the torque specs call for on your Sporty.
  7. JohnnyBiker

8. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

J:writer:ohnny the sproket is bolted to the rotor the tension you feel are the magnets pulling back from the stator also one you get it moving dont stop and keep the meat of tour fingers clear if you loose your grip it will pinch the shit out of your skin .best thing to do is clean all the primary oil off with brake clean, and compressed air the grab ahold and pull towards you .
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

It can be a canukel buster
  10. JohnnyBiker

Today after work I should be able to get it done.
  11. JohnnyBiker

Well I finally got the clutch off off the Sportster and so far I am not seeing anything that is alarming. Tomorrow I am going to Derek's and going to separate the plates. Here are just a few photos.

uploadfromtaptalk1405643454593.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1405643467177.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1405643495047.jpg
  12. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Looks a lot cleaner than some I've seen at Tattoo's. For some reason, people around here don't ever seem to change their oil :eek:.
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  13. JohnnyBiker

Yeah I am religious about oil changes
  14. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

What was the reason you pulled it off in the first place?
  15. JohnnyBiker

It's broken.
  16. JohnnyBiker

The clutch is slipping in 5th gear under power and was making a noise very similar to pinging. I looked through the carb, found nothing wrong there, I looked at the plugs and the were just old. I readjusted the clutch a couple of times. Finally I noticed that I wasn't able to get the adjustment needed at the cable. I took the clutch apart so I can investigate. I find that the comp nut seemed to be more loose than what it should be based on effort to break it loose. I am being thorough, I am not going to just replace parts and hope it gets fixed. I want to know what it is that is causing my clutch to slip. Just saying.
  17. JohnnyBiker

Today I opened the clutch and got a really good look at the steels, basket and friction plates. All look really good but I need to get a caliper on the friction plates to find out if they are within tolerance or not.
  18. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's possible they are too thin and that could be your problem, since everything else checks out. Thinner plates sometimes warp from overheating, causing them to slip. When I had mine out, I checked the flatness of them on a sheet of glass. You could also use the top of a tablesaw or some other surface you know to be perfectly flat.
  19. JohnnyBiker

Well I got to my clutch today and I measured the steel and friction plates. My friction plates measure .700" but my steele plates are warped out spec. I bought a 15% stronger spring to go in I will still use it.
  20. JohnnyBiker

Today I got my friction and steel plates orderd. I decided to go with the Barnett carbon fiber extra plate kit. Should be back on the road real soon.