1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Clutch Removal

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Jul 2, 2014.

1. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Cool. You don't have as long a riding season as we do. Sooner is better. I have set of Barnett discs and plates sitting in the shop and ready to install as soon as my current clutch bites the dust. But that will be a long time yet as I don't hot rod the ol' thang :wideyed: - well, maybe a little . . .
  2. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

Keep posting as you progress along, kind of wondering how the new one will feel with the stiffer spring while riding. May be doing similar repairs this winter as mine is feeling like it is on the edge of slipping in fourth and fifth under full powwr.
  3. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

I got that Barnett kit in mine and the SE spring. I did not like the extra force new spring took to pull in the clutch so I got a White Bros. "Easyboy" clutch actuator. $30 on ebay. I really like the way it works. REAL easy to pull in the clutch now.
  4. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

The little extra pull won't bother me much but Hot Rider, now that is a different story. Could you post a link or p.m. me a link so in case I need something like that I can find it. I will be working on putting this back together throughout the week. Hopefully by the weekend I will feel the wrath of my Sportster once again. :cool:
  5. Tomflhrci98

6. JohnnyBiker

Yeah I am not sure that this will work for my bike. I will keep it in mind though. Thanks.
  7. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I put an easy pull in my Springer after building the motor and a heavier clutch spring was installed. Helped a lot and did the same thing on my wife's bike it helped her a lot. Remember a ladies hand is not as big or as strong as a mans hand.
  8. JohnnyBiker

I got my clutch plates today and the instructions specifically state that this kit is not compatible with this type of system. Thanks for the suggestion.
  9. Tomflhrci98

Yeah, I wasn't sure specifically which year you had or which spring kit you where getting. I hope it works.
  10. JohnnyBiker

Thanks for the info. I c life would get out if my way I could put it back together.
  11. JohnnyBiker

I have the clutch done and back on the bike. I just need to chase the threads on the primary cover bolts then we should be good as gold. I have chosen to put it back together but not put fluid in as I want to make sure that I can get the correct clutch adjustment out of the cable. Judging from how more tight things feel from reinstall, I am optimistic that it will be good. uploadfromtaptalk1407002263756.jpg Comp nut I should torqued to 160 with red loctite and the clutch hub nut is at 80. Went smoothly.
  12. joshbob

Lookin' good like it should.
  13. JohnnyBiker

Easy job but it took way too long. Life gets in the way. Now I just need to find out if I can get t he cable adjustment that is needed. Crossing my fingers on this one.
  14. joshbob

Life and rain get in the way - today is the third consecutive day of it (rain, that is).
  15. JohnnyBiker

Rain has been scarce here but I can live with that for now.

Here is the PN of the clutch pack that I used. Barnett 307-30-20011
  16. JohnnyBiker

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! All back together and so far all my worries are gone. RUNS GREAT!
    Lucifer likes this.
  17. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Good to hear
  18. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

JB, did you get instructions to use ATF in the primary with the new Barnett ? I did with mine.
  19. JohnnyBiker

It said something to that affect. It also said that I can use stuff that is formulated for wet clutch systems.
  20. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

You wouldn't want to use ATF in the Sporty because the oil is shared with the tranny...in a Big Twin primary it's fine to use.... A quality gear oil (75-90 or 80-90)with the Limited Slip Differential(LSD) additive pack in it (suitable for wet clutches) is what you need which is what Harley's Sport Trans fluid was until they stopped selling it and came out with the Formula+...
    The gear oil with the LSD pack will say so on the bottle...it will state "suitable for wet clutches" or "Suitable for Limited Slip Differentials"