1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Clutches slippng in higher gears

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by strickt9Rob, Apr 9, 2008.

1. strickt9Rob

strickt9Rob Active Member

Clutches Slipping

Art,Thanks for the info I think I'll try the redline in makes more sence I don't think that B&M trick shift is good for the primary. Like you mentioned about the shear factor even thuogh it's a sythetic ATF. there no viscosity I'm thinking chain and gear wear would be excellerated?? Any way I'm going to do what you suggested 75-90 RedLine .I'll lett you know How I make out.It seems like it only slips when you really excellerate hard in 5th and 6th if you roll up on it easy its holding. I dont ride that hard all the time, but it's just, that I wish it wasn't slipping. You know what I mean? ...Thanks....strickt9Rob.
  2. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

Red Line specifically, but that's the right weight with any brand. One thing about H-D is they often don't put the weight of the product on the label - like the SportTrans fluid I used before (which was 75W90) & also front fork oil. Also, gear oil ratings are confusing in that they're not the same as engine oil - 75W90 gear oil is closer to 20W50 engine oil.

It's easy to assume that 75W90 is way too heavy since you wouldn't put 75W90 oil in your engine. But the API (American Petroleum Institute) classification method is different & gear oils are formulated quite differently too. And the "additive package" is quite different. While lots of folks get away using an engine oil in the primary/trans, it's far better to use the product formulated for the application & I alwys have.

- Art
  3. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

Yeah, it'll get slung off the part of the chain that's not in oil & wiped off the gears a lot easier & faster than gear lube, which is formulated so it won't. And with repect to the clutch, if the right additives aren't in the fluid, a thin & real "slippery" oil like syn. ATF can certainly make the clutch slip.

I'm very pleased with it, both for street & racing use. Only downside is it's so darn expensive.
  4. tim

tim New Member

Hey strickt9Rob , For what it is worth i did a 883/1250 conversion had no clutch issues before but since the conversion top two gears on heavy roll-on also light up my clutch.Also checked adjustment per the HD manual it was right on.Was running Mobile1 V-Twin 20-50 , dumped and went back to the HD primary chain/gearcase fluid , with some improvement ,still slips though on heavy roll on.
  5. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Hey Art, This is what is on the back of the Castrol Hypoy C gear oil;
    Hypoy C 75W-90: exceeds API Service GL-5 lubricant for extreme pressure conditions and provides superior low temperature performance for smoother gear shifting and differential operation in colder climates. Maintains a thick oil film even under higher temperatures and is recommended for service fill of limited slip differentials calling for an API Service GL-5, SAE 75W-90 gear oil.

I was a kid(12) when my dad had me working on his cars, and my poor memory thinks that the limited slip differential is "Posi" which is a clutch pack in the rear end. Is that right?
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

If it's just barely slipping in higher gears you should check on getting a VPC, works great,

Here is the link to the manuf

VPC VP92T

scroll down to the VP92T for 124 and up motors, we run one on SE plates with a 113 running 122+tq and hp,

As the clutch spins the weights slip out and transfer pressure to the plates, holding it harder, when you pull in the weights swing in and you have an easy pull clutch. Best of both worlds.

Check with Phil at California Phils Concordia, KS (785) 243-9991 (California Phils) in KS I know him and he's good to deal with. Or shop ebay and the forums for someone that has a take off, they are not cheap, if you have to do the clutches and the vpc new, buy a Rivera Pro Clutch for the same money JMO.

[​IMG]
  7. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

Sounds like that Castrol would work just fine for you. And to answer your question, yes. There are different type "Posi" differentials, but most have clutches which are designed to be "locked up" going straight, but allow slippage of up to 11% when turning, as the outside tire has to go farther & faster.
  8. big_jake57

big_jake57 Active Member

9. strickt9Rob

Clutches Slipping

Hey Guy's , Well here's where I'm at, after pulling the clutch pack cleaned and scuffed up the steels. replaced the fluid with Redline 75-90 .It seem's to be working. I took a ride down the NYS thruway to Newberg ,OCC had thier grand opening,Well any way it was a good test for the bike hammered down and back 160mis. round trip running average 85-90 mph couple times 110+ didn't feel any slipping. But I'm im still going to go with somthing different when I put some cash together. Maybe the Ultima open drag primary. Any way. Thanks for everyone's input Art, hrk, paco,everybody..... later

Attached Files:

10. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

glad all is working good for you so far........have fun!!!!!!!!!!!:)
  11. hotroadking

JMO you'll probably be visiting this again,

Look for a rivera pro clutch and run it in the stock primary cover, smooth action and tons of grab the clutch plates are twice as wide so twice the material.

Stock pull on the lever too.

Have fun
  12. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

Glad to hear the bike is working right again, strickt9Rob !!

You may want to go with a different primary setup, like open with belt-drive, but you shouldn't need to do that. They are neat & if I was made of $$$, I wouldn't mind getting one myself. But since I know a stock clutch will handle 167 HP / 125 ft/lbs torque on concrete in a bike geared so tall it'll go 77 mph in 1st gear, I'll stick with stock. And I'll stick with the Red Line 75W90 too.

One other thing I'll mention is I've got a Zippers trap door which seals the Sportster trans off from the primary & you can run a different fluid in the tranny like a BT. In that setup I use Red Line "Shockproof" fluid in the trans. It's recommended for BT's too & I saw that another guy in this group uses it in his BT & is pleased with it. It's formulated specifically for trans applications.

It does not have the additives for a wet clutch though - the 75W90 does. So that's why I use the 75W90 in the primary & Shockproof in the trans. The 75W90 will work fine in the trans too, but the Shockproof will take more of a beating & at the track, the trans does get beat on - especially with an air-shifter.
  13. hotroadking

It's a little harder to get the power to the ground through a 3.37 or 3.15 primary, I know my 116 overpowered the SE clutches and spring easily
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  14. strickt9Rob

Clutches Slipping

It seems to be hookin' up real good like you said, hrk I mght be revisiting the issue.but right now it's all good. I'm not out pounding it every time I ride it but when I do lite it up it seems to be holding.....So for now it's good.....Thanks Guy's.................later