1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Coming Soon!

Discussion in 'Projects' started by JohnnyBiker, Sep 19, 2013.

1. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I've done both, built myself with the bottom end assembled and bored by a local shop, and had it totally built by SNS.

The one I put together a 117 did good for a year and a half and tossed a rod
    through the cases, wasn't the way it was built, SNS took care of it under warranty but it was 100% SNS, cams, carb, heads, cyl, pistons, only thing stock was the HD cases and balancers.

What saved my ass was the SNS IST ignition, it doubled the warranty from one year to two and they took care of it shipping and all, new cases, rebuilt zero out of pocket. I cant say enough good things about them.

SNS rebuilt it as a 124 same HD cases, but they were getting thin between the cylinders, but there are no B aftermarket cases. Ran great,

Shipping shouldn't be more than a $100 you'll need it drained of oil, put on wood blocks to stabilize and at least a double wall box. UPS will take it, wrap the engine in heavy plastic so no oil gets to the box or they will reject it.

Nice thing is all you have to do is bolt it into the frame when it gets home and you get a nice package in the mail...

Tear down the twin cam to the cases only, you don't need to ship out the whole engine unless you're having someone do your heads. I saw you mention 110 heads, not sure about now but the word was even worked up the 110 heads suck like a lemon....

I'd check with your shop about them..
  2. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

When you are on a trip or out of town
    Let's see what you do to it.
    Got friends with em calling.
    Hey can you bring yer trailer and come get me.
  3. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Problem is how dependable is the engine ?
    How many miles are you gonna be able to put on the engine. And at what cost.
    Working on the engines that you took most of the dependability out is the problem.
    How many people that has the real big engines still running them ?
    You just gonna ride down the road. Race it.
    Or you going on trips with it ?
  4. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

In this case I am not sure if it is a good expression of "suck like a lemon"? My 110 heads are a great head from everything that I have been reading. The builders that I have spoken to all agree, they need very little work.

As far as the shipping goes, this build will be brand new case's so there is a lot of worry taken out of the shipping aspect as far as cleanliness goes. Shit, I may never lay eyes on the cases and other stuff until it comes back to me after the shop is done with their stuff.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  5. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Lmfao. It sounds like you guys think that this 117 is going to be such a huge torque monster that the engine will explode upon first start up. Lol. In reality guys, this 117 isn't all that much more potent then the 98" I have now, actually, I am holding my 98" back, there is still more in it but it was and is a conscious decision to do that.