1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Contemplating....

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Givrsum

Givrsum Active Member

i don't think i own or have ever owned a non modified vehicle,, lol,, i went thru the "how much can i get away with" phase. and after replacing a few sled engines, car engines, bike engines,, heh heh.. i'm now a mid range mod guy.. just enough to get a smile and stop right there. knock on wood but since i quit trying to be the fastest bastage on the planet i have had excellent longevity on some sweet machines and i must say they all were handed a hot supper every now n then..
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

A lot of it for me is that this summer, it was near impossible for me to get anyone to do work. I talked to numerous people about the engine I "wanted" but none of them stepped up to the plate. I had cold hard cash just waiting to be spent, but no takers. A lot of them that I spoke to were reputal builders too. But I discovered that a lot of them talk a good game when sitting behind a keyboard but that is it. Now, everything mechanical broke at my house this summer except for my truck and car. An expensive summer.
  3. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

I can understand the frustration JB of wanting to get something done but can't get someone to do it.
    If you unloaded your bikes,you'd be kicking your azz in short order once you come out of the funk you slipped into. It will pass!! I think we've all been there at one time or another.
    Once you get the Glide back up and running and get out for a ride,you'll say to yourself "What the hell was I thinking"?? lol
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Life gets in the way, figure a way around it
    or sell it and buy again, plenty of bikes out there
    no reason to get too attached.

JMO build the RG back the way you had it
    and have a bike that's a nice touring bike
    you two can go out and cruise with, short or long
    distance.

Set the sporty aside for a winter project,

then again better hurry only one week left to
    snowmageddon up there....
  5. JohnnyBiker

A friend of mine asked if I had "PMS"? Parked Motorcycle Syndrom! Lmfao
    Fatboy128 likes this.
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

did ya tell him yeppers dere, eh!
  7. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I feel your pain JB, I was having oil pressure issues for almost a year, had the cam chest apart I don't know how many times, 2 new oil pumps 2 new fueling cam plates, took it to my Indys shop, left it for 3 months, got it back same thing, lost oil pressure after getting warm, took it back to Indy guy, left for another month, turns out there was a small piece of cardboard in the oil pan getting sucked up and blocking the feed hole for the oil supply.
    Have you thought about a Harley remanufactured engine, take it to the dealer drop it off and get it back ready to ride with a 1 year warranty. I think you can get a 103 for your year and put the cams in that you like.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
  8. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

this has been a poor year for me with little time to ride and way too much on the table to do. look at the scooter and think wtfrig why do i still have you. think there is still some time yet this year. everyone has to make decisions and hope you make one that is right for you
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  9. JohnnyBiker

Yes. I have thought about a remanufactured engine but for different reasons. I have never considered one in the way to just leave it stock.
  10. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

JB tinkering is ok but ridding is better. did mild upgrades on my evo wideglide, loved the thing. got bit in the butt with the piston skirt coating on roadking. Everyone has there WOW that is what i want, but then that can be short lived.
  11. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Johnny I know where there is a stock 110 engine for sale with 70,000 on it. Maddog ordered a Harley 120, costing him probably around 8,000 which includes installed. Lotta bucks for a small gain in power.
  12. JohnnyBiker

Well, as I said, the Glide is back together. Yesterday I took it out for a good run to test the cams out. Well, there is some adjusting that needs to happen. Overall, felt good to get back out on my bike.
    FLHTbiker likes this.
  13. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Alrighty Johnny! Good on ya! Glad you were able to rscue victory from the jaws of defeat!
  14. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

JB Glad you decide to keep your bike & fix it , Like said above life gets in the way at times , & Like I told you on the phone a while back I had to sell my bike for money reasons & ive kicked my own azz for doing it but I don't regreat it cause it went for my grandsons graudtion & prom so to me it was worth it ,& my buddy bought it & I have till next spring to buy it back at what he paid me
  15. JohnnyBiker

Thanks Cowboy!

Man, am I glad that I decided not to sell them. Chalk about feeling ALIVE!
    Fatboy128 likes this.