1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Converting MM FI to Carb

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Tomflhrci98, Aug 30, 2009.

1. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Looking good, thanks for the up date. Nice pictures too, keep them coming.
  2. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Well, I finally got it running tonight and holy crap does it sound different - louder and lower.

I do have some idle issues to resolve for sure. It started right up on the choke, but after it was warm I couldn't shut the choke without it dieing. I kept turning the idle screw out 3, 4, 5 turns finally I got the screw driver out and ran the screw on the side at the throttle cable a few turns to keep it running. I guess that isn't the proper way to do it huh?.

I have a 46 idle jet in there now and I didn't think I would need a 48. I mean after all it is only an EVO with SE heads and SE27 cam. I'll have to stop by HD to pick up a 48 and try it.

Any way so far so good. I'll let you all know when I run it down the street.
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

that is great!!!!! just a little tweeking and you will be good to go!!!!
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Excellent, it might need a 48, you'll find out for sure.

Also be sure the pilot jet is clean, a bit of debris in the jet will cause that problem too...
  5. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Good to hear that, those SE heads flow pretty well so more fuel is probably needed and you are or near sea level. Good job. Pictures are needed.
  6. Tomflhrci98

I'll check for leaks too.

I may live at sea level (actually 1200'), but I do most of my riding at Big Bear and that is 7000'. I hope I can tune it for both locations.

That's why I felt it was better to use the CV carb. The slider is supposed to help compensate for altitude during part throttle operations. I'm not sure about idle.
  7. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

You should be able to tune it and not mess with it, I live at 6,000 ft and go up to 10,000 often and down to 3,500 ft. pretty often and never change anything, in fact I have been to the west coast and the only thing I noticed was that man it had a lot more power at low altitudes. From here everything is either higher or lower with in a few miles. Even going east for the first 40 miles is higher.
  8. chucktx

once set, the cv will adjust for different altitudes....
  9. hotroadking

it will need to be spot on at your altitude to compensate for different altitudesL

if you are rich at sea level it's going to go major rich at 4000 feet.

So it's got to be right to start with..
  10. duke76

duke76 New Member

Boy I dont know if that is going to be possible, you may want to think about converting it to fuel injection HA HA HA
  11. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

that's good to here , just take your time to do the fine tune/adjustment & that Cv will handle it all , high or low
  12. hotroadking

Dude, sea level is 0 I'm in FL High is 300 Feet, normal is 20 to 50 feet above sea level LOL :roflmao:

I get nosebleeds at 300 feet lol

Get it as close as you can and the cv should work well at any altitude, but if you are way rich at 1200 you will still be rich and even more so at 5000.....
  13. Tomflhrci98

Don't forget I can go to 270 ft below sea level in about a 2 hour drive :D
  14. Tomflhrci98

Time to take it out on the road in the morning for a good long ride. I didn't put in that 48 idle jet yet. I just don't understand why I would need that big a jet. I want Ken to hear it if I can. I havn't heard from him in a while. I'll PM him and see whats up with him these days.
  15. hotroadking

well that will lean it out LOL

here that would be a long ride off a short pier!
  16. Tomflhrci98

What a difference. I've been blasting down the highway and back streets and this thing is running great. The throttle response is sooo much better and the bike runs much smoother all the way around. I can comfortably run anywhere between 55 and 90. Before I only ran 77 to 80 - that was the only comfortable spot with the old FI system.

For the idle, I put in the 48 jet but I was still not able to change the idle mixture. I then went back to the 45 and went 2 1/2 turns out even though I don't see a difference no matter what the position with that jet either, then adjusted the idle speed with the idle screw on the side. With the 45 jet I get a little bit of a decel pop only if I rev it good like 55 m/h and drop to 3rd gear. I feel this is acceptable.

I think I need a 190 or 195 fast jet. I'm getting some pinging and I retarded the timing a bit already. HD dealers don't carry these size jets. I hope I can get it from Ken if I ever hear from him

So I'm real happy I went through all this pain and suffering of converting over to a carb, much better driveability.

But, now I got some oil seepage I got to work on today.:(
  17. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I'm really glad you got it running and that all is working good, I know Fuel Injection is the wave of the present and future but a good ole tuned carb is hard to beat. I bet your fuel mileage will go up too. Do you mind sharing how much it cost to switch it over?
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  18. chucktx

a big congrats to ya!!!!! have fun with it and stay safe!!!!
  19. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Hey Tom, sounds like its coming along nicely. Sorry I was eyeball deep in some other projects when you last contacted me. I have all the size jets you may need, in fact next week I will have my whole line of American made jets finished.

I'm out of town but should be back in a day or so and I'd be glad to swing by and lend a tuning ear.
  20. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Now that's service, :D:)