1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Converting MM FI to Carb

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Tomflhrci98, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Ken PM'd me this morning also. I was wondering why we hadn't heard from him in a while. Maybe I'll wait till next weekend and try to see him before I order these jets since I can't find them locally at the few places I know of. I can't ride right now anyway since I broke a fitting on the S&S oil pump and these S&S fittings are hard to find. :banghead:

HarleysLR, I don't mind telling you how much I spent, cept I have been collecting parts for a year now and to be honest I don't want to know how much I spent. I'm keeping myself from myself :D The biggest expense was the carb and big sucker that I got on ebay. I paid $250 for that because it came with all the hoses and choke and all. It was supposed to be already upgraded performance wise but it wasn't so I bought the needle and jet kit from Ken. The bowl screws he provided are really nice too. They help when taking the bowl off with the carb still on the bike. The fuel vale and adaptor was expensive, $130 or more, the SE ignition from ebay I think was $47, SE coil about $45 and all the connector parts and VOES switch so it was close to $600 to do this. Not to mention all the fun I had:confused:priceless. You don't even want to hear about all the stupid things that I did.
  2. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Thanks for the info, I am sure it will be well worth the cost. Ken's stuff is nice and good. I have a complete carb that he built back in 03 I think, it has out lived several bikes when I would sell or trade I'd keep the carb and put on a stock one, Same carb has been on 2 evos and now on a TC88B, I just ordered a couple of V-Ductors last evening. The other bike has all CV Performance parts inside the carb, including the slide. Happy riding.
  3. Tomflhrci98

Well, I got the 190 jet in there and that was the ticket. It gave me a hole lot of passing power and virtually no pre-ignition even in the 100 degree <25% percent humidity weekend. Had the ol lady on it this afternoon and had passing power going up hill. Really nice.

It seams a little fat in the middle. I may have to get a stock spring and try it since I don't know what spring is in there.

The high altitude idle was poor (too low). I'll have to work on this. It might just need a small idle screw turn when I am up at that altitude. I suppose I would have to do this every time since what idles good up there may be too high down at my house.:confused:

Attached Files:

4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

glad your dialing it in!!!! nice bike. your floor is great looking!!!!!
  5. duke76

duke76 New Member

What size apes are them 16's Thats what I have and they look comparable, Road Kings and apes sure look sharp. Looks good Todd
  6. Tomflhrci98

Thanks guys.

Yup the floor is the pride of the cul-de-sac. It's not real good when using jack stands. It's just stick on linoleum and it breaks easy. I'd love to tear it up and epoxy the whole thing.

I don't think I could ever go back to lower bars. I used to get a pain in my back between my shoulder blades after an hour of so of riding. Ever since I put the 16s on I have never had any pain.
  7. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

good to here your aabout right on with the carb set up , & for sure a good looking R king
  8. Tomflhrci98

Thanks Ken:

I’m almost dialed in. I got a chance to get Ken’s help yesterday. I was still having some trouble with idle and it turns out I had a yost tube in there. Now the Yost tube wasn’t all bad, but it didn’t help much at idle and I didn’t have a matching needle for this anyway. Ken had a bunch of extra parts and in his driveway we put in his CV-performance tube with the right parts and needle and it helped a lot. I can’t say enough about how helpful he was. He was also able to diagnose that I need to get a better ignition module. I need something programmable so that I can get easier starting and add more spark timing at idle. That will be the final ticket to getting the best starting and idle performance.

I’m pretty much a novice with this carb so I learned a lot. I think to get the most out of an EVO you need good carb parts and a good ignition module. The SE ignition I am using has a -95 on the part # and is none programmable. Probably not the best choice, but that’s what you get when your buying stuff off ebay.

Even with all the trouble I had getting rid of the fuel injection, it was worth it. It’s not perfect, but the trade off to deal with a choke vs great driveability being soo much better and added power is worth it. I don’t think EVOs should have ever been fuel injected.
  9. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Glad to have helped Tom! BTW great job on that conversion. Glancing at the bike no one would know it had been an injected bike before unless they were really looking for it.