1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Country Roads

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by joshbob, May 24, 2014.

1. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Just cruisin' the country roads around here the past few days and thought I'd share a few pics. Last pic was taken by a buddy who runs the NAPA Auto Parts store in Scotland Neck. 20140524_1 (640x480).jpg 20140524_2 (640x480).jpg 20140524_3 (640x480).jpg 20140524_4 (640x480).jpg
  2. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

Texas between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls
    You are lucky. Country roads here are gravel at best. You can be enjoying a nice ride on asphalt and suddenly it goes to gravel. No warning anywhere. Just is!
  3. joshbob

Most of our gravel roads are usually gravel all the way. No surprises.
  4. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

I think I live in either the poorest or cheapest counties around.
  5. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Keep in mind I used to drive all over NYC and the crap roads. In the 90's I went out to fort Leonard wood in Missouri to see two sons graduate boot camp. The interstates in Missouri were far worse that the infamous BQE expressway in NYC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
  6. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Nice pics there Josh, always like seeing the countryside around where others live. I don't know about that last one though. It could be used as a mugshot poster hanging in the police station. :) :p

Like your ride though.

I think we have some of the best roads for riding. Got a few country roads that will turn to gravel but for the most part they are in pretty good shape. Now go into the liberal city of Portland and they have some good and a lot of not so good. Now they want to impose a new special street tax on every household there. Maddog is real thrilled about it.
  7. joshbob

The shame of it is that we all pay enough in road taxes to keep our highways in good shape. The politicians find ways to divert that money for other uses - like welfare handouts. I think the worst highways I ever rode on were in Arkansaw and the worst streets were in Pittsburgh.
  8. marc 55

marc 55 Well-Known Member

Nice...Looking forward to getting back on the road...
  9. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

Actually if you look at how rich the politicians are, I think they divert all money to themselves and what's left over goes to handouts. No one in their right mind would want that job unless they got something out of it!!!!
  10. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

Nice pics, joshbob, thanks for sharing. Frost warning tonight, but if it warms up in the next few weeks and I can get to the shore, I'll try and snap a few down in Alma on the Bay of Fundy. Highest tides from in to out in the world.
  11. joshbob

Looking forward to seeing your pictures . . .
  12. bguillory66

bguillory66 Active Member

nice pics Joshbob, what the guy in the last pic got on his head..pantyhose :rolleyes::) Kiddin u, nice lookin country, flat like around here. Thought you guys had mountains there.
  13. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Josh who's that old fart sitting on yer bike tell him to get his butt offa your ride
  14. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

You gotta love those flat hardly used carolina country roads!! NC should be a country all its own,lol. Its literally a motorcyclists play ground. Mountains,Coastal plains, beach/oceans. And back roads to everywhere. Its crazy. Thank God for GPS, I'm serious. Even though my bike has a 6 gallon tank, if tooling the backroads of North Carolina for just a day,I would feel a little better with a spare 2-4 gallons on board. And you see the coolest things.
  15. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

I felt the same way about California. Hated living there but loved riding there. I never used a map(no GPS back then either) and would just try a road. Never knew what I'd run into. I still try that in Texas but so many roads here just change to gravel after a while. It's not nearly as much fun. Guess that's the price of being a true free state.:D Unlike the dictatorial one. I prefer free.
  16. joshbob

Yup, free is always mo' better LOL. And truth be told, I really don't care much for that do-rag, (came with my Lick's helmet) but it fits nicely in my vest pocket and keeps the hairs outta my mug when stopping for gas or whatever. When my front hairs get as long as the back ones, I'll switch to a bandana instead.

The terrain here in the eastern part of the state is mostly flat. The western part has the Great Smokies. And you can ride the Outer Banks all up and down the coast for fantastic ocean views, which I plan to do this summer. We got it all ;).
    Last edited: May 29, 2014
  17. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with S. Carolina much or Florida or Georgia or Alabama etc... but I have spent 5-6 years straight in North Carolina and then for the last 20 years have been going back 2-3 times a year for 2 weeks each time. Up until 2011 I kept a motorcycle there. If ever any of youse riders get a chance you should base camp out of say Raleigh. Take a couple weeks and hit the coast for a couple days then recoop back in Raleigh and head to the mountains for another couple mdays(Asheville, Maggie Valley,Black Mountains etc). You won't regret it.

While not time effective the back roads will show you places where time seems to have stood still. I once seen an old run down abandoned house out in the middle of where the f*** am I with like 11 gables on it. I thought how unique and what a shame. Also heading to the coast and on rt 64 you can have a run onto "Alligator Alley" where the water almost comes up to the narrow breakdown lane. I miscalculated the gas useage on my sidecar bike as well as passed a perfectly good shell station because according to my calculation a gas station was not far away. By time I got to the gas station the bike held 5 gallons I took 4.8 to fill up. I so didn't want to run out on the Alligator Alley stretch, I was kinda getting nervous.
  18. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Central and north FL have some good roads
    AL is a great state for hills roads BBQ.
  19. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

I agree on central Floreeeda. Rode some of those roads with Charlie and another buddy. But then again, any road in floreeeda that has a curve looks good. Ha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
  20. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

Hey, Texas is good if you want to pile on miles and miles.:D