1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Couple questions

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by AFNurse, Apr 28, 2005.

1. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

So, I have a couple questions that I am dying to ask.....ok, so I won't drop over dead if I "don't" ask them, but I am curious..... :rolleyes: I normally kill the engine on my 04 E Glide Standard using the ignition switch.... I have heard a couple people tell me (directly and indirectly) that I will do damage to the bike if I do not use the RUN/OFF switch on the hand controls.... what is the truth on this??!! Another question I have is on pipes (I know....GROAN.....Not another pipe question...... ) :p I have heard mention (here in fact) about pipes with Run Quiet baffles..... I guess my question is this, which pipes are they that have it? How quiet is it? (compared to stock maybe? I run Samson Rolled Thunder Slip Ons) and is there any real preformance loss? Also, I guess would be TONE Quality.....nice rumble, just quieter? My old lady is complaining as my pipes are too loud....I love them, BUT....... if she wants to complain, it may cost her just like replacing the old POLK AUDIO floor speakers in the house...they were too big.....so I replaced them with BOSE!!!! :D What all do you think of one or the other or both questions??!! Thanks!!!
  2. MPH

MPH New Member

It does not matter if you kill your bike this way but it could harm the ECU when you turn the bike on and the stop-run switch is in the run setting. You could get a voltage spike that will damage your ECU. When you turn the keyswitch on the bike powers all kinds of electrical stuff (lights, radio, speedo, gages and more). The ECU is a computer and if you think of it this way you will understand.
    :) Now for pipes. S&S has just came out with a quiet pipe for baggers. I got to hear them at Laughlin River Run last weekend. They have a long baffel or a short baffel and the long baffel was quiet and had a great TONE Quality.....nice rumble with more power than stock. Check out there web page www.sscycle.com and see SPO Mufflers.
  3. SISK

SISK New Member

Pipes

AFNurse,

How's it goin'? I haven't been online in awhile due to a job change and relocation.

Anyway, regarding your question on pipes and baffles: When I bought the V&H bigshot staggered pipes, they offered another "quiet" baffle in case the standard baffle was too loud. I had planned on getting the quieter baffle if sound became an issue, but I found that the standard baffle that came with the pipes was just fine, good tonal quality, dialed in good on a dyno and the sound was not too loud (subjective opinion of course ;) ).

Other than V&H, my knowledge of other pipe mfg's with quiet baffles is limited.

regarding your question on ignition, I have no technical knowledge to offer...I just thumb the "run/off" switch to turn the bike off.

Are you still moving to Texas?

SISK

If you're not in front making the dust, then you're eating it.
  4. AFNurse

HEY!!! I am very happy with the sound of the Samsons that I have...my WIFE hates them.....too loud......so she says. I hear other bikers that make my pipes sound like I am back to stock....but she is never with me for THAT subjective test! :rolleyes: Oh well... I would like to go to a true dual set up anyway and have heard of these quiet baffels, and figured....."gee, if she hates the sound that much, she can pay to have me quiet them up a bit" as long as tone quality is still ok!!!!

My biggest problem is that I always forget about the run/stop switch..... I have that BIG A$$ HONKEN IGNITION switch in front of me!!!! :D I just want to make sure I don't kill the bike!!! (course I DO have the AAFES extended warrenty...... ;) )

As to moving to Texas.....YES....my wife and daughter are already there. I flew back to the states from Germany back in Jan/Feb on permissive house hunting duty.... found a house, started all the paper work. My wife and daughter flew back 2 weeks ago and are starting to become setteled in. I will HOPEFULLY be flying on/around 1 July. This couple of months without them is going to kill me off young! Course, I DO have a bit more time to put on miles......but that doesn't help with the time between rides!!! The house I got is only a mile or 2 from Sea World.....actually only about 6-8 blocks as the crow flies from the employee parking on the back side of the park (main enterence is on the OTHER side....so hense the couple miles to get to the park). Looking forward to it. I am HOPING that I am up to the challenge of Neonatal Intensive Care nursing.....I have not done this sort of thing before, but I kind of like the idea of trying to get the right start for kids that weigh the same as the average packaged beverage.....whether it be a 12 oz can or 16 ounce bottle....that is the size of some....and they are making it...or that is what I am being told! I will see first hand soon! I would love to do this years Bike Talk Ride as I will be so much closer, but not sure if my bike will have arrived from Germany yet....and if it has, will I have that weekend off from school.....and if both of THOSE are good, can I get the kitchen pass..... Only time will tell!!!

Hope your new job is going well! Is it local to where you were or did you have to move? Relocation....where did you go to then? warmer climate, same climate or colder? Thanks for your input!!!
  5. Bobcat

Bobcat New Member

I usually stop my bike by using the brakes. I like the pipes loud so I don’t have to listen to the ol’ Lady rumble in my ear. If she says the exhaust is too noisy I give her the Walkman and tell her to turn the volume up, way up!
    Hope this helps. Look forward to seeing ya back in the USA!
  6. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

That's funny

My boyfriend complains that my pipes are too loud, and he uses the ticket I got at Americade (me and a couple thousand other Harley riders) to back him up. :rolleyes: I've thought about the new baffles for the V&H Big Shots, but I love the way my bike sounds. When we went to Las Vegas back in February and rented a Road Glide and an Electraglide, the stock mufflers made us feel like we weren't on Harleys.

As far as the kill switch goes, I used to use it, but then I started using the ignition switch all the time. I've got 40,000 miles on my 2001 FXST, probably half of them using the kill switch and half the ignition. I haven't noticed any associated problems with the bike, but based on what MPH said, I'll probably go back to the kill switch.
  7. Breeze

Breeze New Member

Kill Switch

On the issue of the kill switch... seems like I saw a letter in American Iron regarding that. Could have been in one of last year's mags... not sure. Anyway, if I remember correctly, the response did recommend always using the kill switch instead of the ignition switch. At any rate, the switch is a thumb flick away so why not?
  8. hdotis69

hdotis69 New Member

My bike has 34000 miles on it and I have the habit of using the switch.No problems so far and thats alot of on offs. Remember "loud pipes saves lives"
  9. gunnysgt

gunnysgt New Member

I had a problem with my speedometer showing about 30 mph less than I was actually going. Happened off and on and I couldn't figure out why it was doing that. Heard of people cleaning this or that but checked my local Harley wrench about it. He told me that turning off the bike with the ignition key can cause this to happen once in a while. Sounded weird to me. I tried it and since I've used the kill button, it's never done that again. Go figure! :rolleyes:
  10. Bobcat

Bobcat New Member

D**N, Lucky fer me my ride has an ol’ cable driven Speedo.
    I’ve also got an “Air Horn”. You know, one of those things you use ta see on bicycles with a rubber bulb you'd squeezed to make noise. :eek:
  11. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

On/Off

I've never heard of anyone having an issue with only using the key switch. I'm guilty of the same habit and never had any issues. That being said, I'm sure they are both there for some reason. I would think that someone on here must have the original manual. Does it say how and why you should shut your bike down? I've never bought one new, or any vehicle for that matter so I don't happen to have one. I guess I can't stand watching the value drop off so much so quickly.

I do have an ignition problem though. Last summer I locked my ignition at the beach so not just anyone could drive away on my bike. When I unlocked it the barrel lock came out on the key. Lucky it broke in the unlocked position! I haven't locked it since. Now I carry a pad lock so the guy that steals it can crash to the ground and wreck my bike. Oh... wait a minute....maybe I'll buy a new one this weekend. :rolleyes:
  12. AFNurse

Thanks for all the input on the kill switch input. I am now slowly TRYING to force my habbit to use the kill switch......doesn't happen every time, but..... :rolleyes:
  13. SK

SK New Member

I used to use the kill switch, but invariably a few times then forgot to actually turn the key off..allowing my battery to go dead because the headlight was still on (hard to tell during daylight hours). So I switched to using the key to turn the bike off and haven't had a dead battery since. Almost 100,000 on the cruiser and nairy a problem with the ignition key. I can't see the difference in turning the key on with the kill switch in the on or off position. The electrincal current has to go through the whole system one way or the other. I've always thoght the kill switch was more of a safety feature..like if your clutch broke, your throttle stuck wide open and you couldn't get it into neutral or something. Any way..what do I know..I ride Yamahas. (Is the Harley's ignition switch made in America?)
  14. SISK

SISK New Member

follow-up

AFNurse,

Is Austin where you'll be moving? I know you've said before, but I can't remember.

New job is great, much improved over the previous one. Relocation you ask? Yes, not as drastic as yours, but I will be changing countries. Around Mid Aug. I'll be moving the family to Monterrey Mexico, :eek: which is a bit closer to your new neck of the woods, so perhaps we can meet up for a ride once we're both moved in.
    Anyway, until we make the move to Mexico, I've temporarily moved my family from San Diego CA to Las Vegas. My wife and I both have family in Vegas, so we thought it'd be good to move there for awhile so she can be near family while I'm away at work.
    During the week I'm either in Monterrey Mexico, or in Indiana (company headquarters), then I'm back home in Vegas on the weekends. Maybe I can hook up with SK and go for a ride some weekend.
    It's a hectic schedule, thus my limited time on Bike Talk. But hopefully things will slow down a bit once we get settled in down in Mexico.

I'd like to try and do the DP ride this year too, but there's a lot of potential scheduling conflicts, so we'll have to see how it works out.

SISK

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.
  15. AFNurse

SISK,
    Looks like you are jumping around as much or more then me!!! We are moving to the great city of San Antonio... in fact, my wife and daughter are already there, in the house, and getting setteled in. I will be joining them in July. Once you get setteled south of the border, if you want to ride, let me know! I am always up for it depending on my work schedule and gaining of the "kitchen pass" :rolleyes: Not sure if I will make the DP run but am sure hoping so....too many "if's" at this point to say for sure. Good luck with the rest of your relocation!!!
  16. SK

SK New Member

AFNurse, hope you can make the DP ride. Goose could stop by and ride out with ya. The more the merrier.

Sisk, didn't know you were temporarily in Las Vegas. A little different than San Diego, eh? It's tough for me to get a weekend to ride at the moment. I've been working weekends as I'm going to school during the week. Let me get past the next couple of weekends and I'll make a free Saturday or Sunday to ride..that'd be cool. I've got to finish a remodel on a bathroom/kitchen I'm doing at the moment. Hopefully most of it's done the next two weekends.

Stay in touch.
    Last edited: May 9, 2005
  17. SISK

SISK New Member

Hijacked thread

AFNurse, - sorry to have hijacked your thread...

San Antonio is even closer to Mexico than Austin. I'll be about 2 1/2 hours south of the Laredo border, so we'll have to meet up for a ride somtime when things settle down a bit for both of us.

SK,
    Yep, I moved my family to Vegas about a month ago. My weekends are busy too, since I'm away from home during the week, I've got a lot of catch up to do on the weekends. But let me know when you can squeeze in a ride some Saturday. It's good therapy to get out on the road, and I understand that a good long ride can help increase your school grades ;)
    I'm looking forward to get out and explore the new Nevada terrain. I'll send you a PM with my email address, so we can keep in contact (I haven't been able to follow these threads as closley as I'd like too).

SISK

Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance
  18. SK

SK New Member

SISK, that would be cool. How long you gonna be living in town until the big move south? I know when the weather starts getting warmer, that a little ride up to Mt. Charleston is always a good getaway for lunch to beat the heat. It's only 36 miles up there and can be in the high 70ºs when it's 105º here in town. There's a great little German place with outside seating in the pines.
  19. SISK

SISK New Member

SK,
    A Mount Charleston ride sounds good!

I'll be in town until the first part of August, then we'll be making the move South.

I should be in town most weekends with the exception of the next two. A co-worker hooked me up with tickets to the Indy 500 on May 29th :cool: pretty excited about that opportunity! , but after that weekend I should be back in town.

Check your private Messages, I sent you my email address so you can let me know when you have time to make a Charleston run.

SISK

If you're in control, you're not going fast enough!! - Mario Andretti
  20. SK

SK New Member

Cool..now how to figure out how to read private messages around here.

Have fun in Indy..that's the greatest track in the world, or at least the most famous. I'm envious.