1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Crappy Tires

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by 08XModel, Aug 12, 2008.

1. vt1099ace

vt1099ace New Member

I have metz 880's and they're like vlecro of sicky tape on the road...love them, wish they had white wall though,:cool:
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Whitewalls are great until you have to clean clean clean clean clean clean clean them all the time time time time time... lOL
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

The wide white walls sure do look good on my 01 Heritage Springer. Still won't run a Metz ever again on any of my bikes.
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

VT metz makes a wide white 880 about 30 bucks more in price
  5. vt1099ace

vt1099ace New Member

I read why you hate metz,
    ...when I bought my ace it had a dunlop upfront and metz in back and I swear it was like riding a trout around every corner.

the the front felt like it wanted to slide out (low siding me) going into turns and the rear felt like it wanted to slide out (also low siding me) coming out of turns (yes, both had proper pressures).

Since the front was the more worn of the two, that was the one replaced and have had not proplems since...ofcourse, its only been about 2k miles. :D
  6. vt1099ace

vt1099ace New Member

New, mine had wide white walls (dunlops) from the factory, always like the look and would like to get that look back with the next set...:cool:
  7. FLHTbiker

The likely reason why they felt like that before replacing the front tire was the fact you had unmatched tires on the bike. With either all Dunlops or all Mets tires it would have handled much better.
  8. Seahag

Seahag New Member

Buy Michelin Commanders and be done with your searching.

Best tire I've used by far out of five styles.
  9. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

hey clay!!!!!!!!!!! nice to see ya posting!!!!!!!:D
  10. Seahag

Seahag New Member

Thanks Chuck. I'm sure you've been seeing me around your other haunts yet; though my apetite for motorcycle forums isn't as insatiable as it used to be [memberships at 12 sites] I still try to check in occasionally with all of them.
  11. Hdtractor1

Hdtractor1 New Member

Just to put my two cents in......I had three very fast Honda's in the early 80,s when all i wanted was some really fast bikes...I had two V-65 Honda's one a Magna and one a Sabre both came stock with Birdgestones ( Squidstones} as we called them...terrible tires!!!I put Dunlop Elites and ran excess of 155 miles an hour many times and never had a problem with Dunlops. I had a Honda CB 1100-F that would hit 145 MPH in a heart beat and always with the front tire up most of the time...excellent performance with Dunlops....put a set of Metz on the 1100-F and freaked out about how bad those tires are!!!Will never run Metz on any thing I own. The dunlop Elite 3 is an excellent tire softer than Avons if you run a 3,but a 2 will do for allmost any touring Harley a good job...My Streetglide will get a Dunlop 3 as soon as I wear the Stock Dunlop down some more.

Have rode all my life over 40 years and owned many bikes and the Dunlop is the best tire for me.
  12. Seahag

Seahag New Member

Try the Michelins some time. I too have run the Dunlop Elite II...big improvement over the 402, then the Elite III...which was even better and the SECOND BEST tire I've ever used. IMO the Michelin Commanders are even better riding/handling than the Dunlop E-3's.

But I haven't read of anyone hating on the E-3's so they are a safe bet as well.
  13. donny612

donny612 New Member

I've gotta say...I've had mostly dressers over the last 3 decades and they've all had Dunlops on them and I've never had a tire failure of any kind. I did have a flat once but that was due to a nail.
  14. FLHTbiker

On a chapter ride on I-205 last summer a box of nails dropped off a rig and three of us picked up nails in our rear tire and yes mine was a Dunlap don't know about the others. I didn't notice it until up by MT Saint Helen's so I finished the ride and made it back with only loosing a pound or two of air. Ruined the tire though as it went in on the edge of the tread and into the side wall. I had free tire replacement so it was replaced at no charge.
  15. grandpa tom

grandpa tom New Member

Tires

Have only replaced one set on my Heritage, but went back with stock harley laps. haven't had any other so can't compare but am totally happy with the Dunlops.
  16. fxdxriderleo

fxdxriderleo Active Member

how do you guys decide what the right tire pressure? i have found the pressure in the book is seldom right for each individual's bike or riding style. going by the pressure on the sidewall isn't right for any thing but max loads. i set my pressure at what the tire manufacturer reccomends as a starting point. take the bike for a ride. after 10-15 minutes i stop and check the pressure, if it is 1 of 2 pounds higher than cold pressure, the cold pressure is to high. if the pressure is 4 pounds or more than cold, the cold pressure was to low. hitting a 3 pound pressure increase is right. more or less adjust till they are right then set them to the adjusted pressure cold. this works with all brands of tires. works on a car or truck too. if you add a passenger or pack for a trip, reset the pressure as i first described for the new load. or haul a 3 ton load of dirt in your pickup. this will keep the tires working as they should, makes them last longer too. a friend of mine sets his by the book, he gets about 5-6000 miles on his back tire, i get about 12000 or better. even with both dunlops or avons. he has a 74 fxe, and a 93 fxwg. we ride together alot and our riding styles are simular. the biggest thing thats different is the way we set tire pressure. rain grooves or tar snakes are not noticable untill the tires get about wore out. if you get used to having the right pressure in a tire, it is real easy to tell when a tire gets even a couple pounds soft. grooves, ridges, bumpy corners. all get scary with low tires. to hard a tire the ride gets harsh, they tend to slide out on corners.
  17. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i use the tire mfg's recomended pressures.........
  18. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

Experimentation & your methods work quite well. The maximum pressure listed on the tire's sidewall is for maximum load, which you may or may not put on the tire. Running the pressure too low will definitely give you handling problems (can be severe), but running it too high will make the tire wear out in the middle way too fast. With harder compound tires it takes quite a while for the wear pattern to show up, but it will tell you if you're running the air pressure to low or too high.
  19. Hdtractor1

Hdtractor1 New Member

Air Pressure

It just depends on your personal feel of the bike, is my spin on the subject.

For me.... max pressure is way too harsh and I ride 2 up most of the time...you can tell when your bike is unstable from not enough air and too harsh with too much after you have ridden your scoot for some time and know how it feels.

Its all about how it feels!!!You know....the scoot and your squeeze!!!!
  20. FLHTbiker

Not only will to low of a tire pressure cause ill handling but also cause poor tire wear. Over inflation can also cause improper tire wear. If your using the same tire that came with your bike I would recommend what the owners manual says.