1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Crappy Tires

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by 08XModel, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

I can't speak for anything other than Sportsters, but the owner's manual is just plain wrong, recommending only 30 psi front for mine. I've gone with (German made) Metzelers, but it was too low for the stock Dunlops too - 38 being right for most with the 19" front. Literally 100's of riders with the Custom models which come with the 21" front say 40 psi is best for those models. The difference in handling on any Sportster from 30 psi is dramatic. The best rear pressure will depend on the weight of the rider, whether they ride solo, carry a passenger, loaded saddlebags, etc., but the manual is wrong there too. Personally, I let the bike/tires tell me what the best F/R settings are.
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

My HD manual is right on for the correct tire pressure for the stock tires. :D
  3. The Reg

The Reg New Member

Tyres

I had a '01 FLHT for 6 years. Replaced original tyres with Metz and found them excellent in the Dry & Warm - Hot Wesr Aussie Climate. Would use them again - all my riding matess love them.

Cheers,

The Reg
  4. HAMSHOG

HAMSHOG New Member

Hey Kevin,
    I ran the 402's for 20,000(2 rears), then Metzlers for 21,000(3 rear tires), and for the last 13,000 a Dunlop EIII on the rear. Have a couple thousand left on the EIII. The EIII's have a similar tread pattern to the Metzlers and handle fabulously!!

Guess what I'll be buying for replacements??

Regards, Hamshog
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i like my e111's
  6. fujimo

fujimo New Member

tarsss

hey guys,,,i pay 67 dollars for maxxis,,,can change them at 9000,,,to 9500,,and still spend less money than your one tire,,,AND they travell from one coast to the other every year,,,, never had a blow out,,,had someone put roofing nails in sidewalls last year,,,took tire off and ,,,oh golly,,,put three plugs in and rode it to new orleans,,,,still got 9200,,,out of it,,, and the groves bother you,,,,go faster,,,, pops
  7. Hdtractor1

Hdtractor1 New Member

I will be putting a Dunlop 3 on mine this summer
  8. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Dunlops are good tires, but the tend to follow the grooves in the road.

Like some other folks said. I like metzler tires.
    Check the tire pressure once a week so they are properly maintained.
    Learn to use the transmission to gear down before you use the brakes.
  9. vt1099ace

vt1099ace New Member

anyone use the 'other' brands like kendas? or chen shin? or IRC?
  10. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Had a friend who tried the chen shin tires and didn't like them, he went back to Dunlop. Said they wore out to fast but were cheap to buy.
  11. viking

viking New Member

My 82 flhs had a rear avon on it when I bought it.I had lots of tread on it but hated the tire.the side walls were to soft and it would roll in the corners.Did not have a lot of money so tried to save the tire by playing with tire pressure.It did not help.I put metzelers on it front and back and it was a whole lot better but found they did not stick to the road like dunlops.Dunlops in my opinion are a great all around tire,my only complaint is when you start to see wear on them and you think you can get another month out of them they dissapear really fast.Just remember tires are all that is between you and the road.I have 11000km on my 08 SG and they are showing wear so I won't get the summer out of them.
  12. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

good advise......"Just remember tires are all that is between you and the road."
  13. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

I like what Redneck Chuck said, I like good rubber between me and the road. When I go hard into a curve the last thing I want to worry about is my rubber on the ground, same thing when I stop.
    You git what you pay for.
    I look for the ride I git out of the tire. I'm not like everybody worrying about how many miles I can git out of the tire. I ride a motorcycle to have fun.
    If all I have to do is worry about how many miles to a gallon I'm gettin and how many miles I git on my tires, I just don't think I'm having fun.
    When my tank is low on fuel I pull in and fill it up. When the rubber is 60% gone I replace the tire. when I git 3000 miles on the oil I change it.
    Do you not go home cause yer wife is costing you too much money.:rant:
  14. vdf3

vdf3 New Member

My stock rear tire is cupping already at only 6400 miles, it is making me re think the stock harley replacements. Is this normal tread life or just a crappy tire?