1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Cross Country

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by badinfluence63, Oct 24, 2010.

1. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Michigan's Great Mackinaw Bridge, New York Harbor, and the tip of Cape Cod. The big bear was in U.P. somewhere.

Attached Files:

2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Man you do get around!
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Alex, you are absolutely right. Getting on the bike and just exploring is way more fun. Looks like you have been doing a lot of that. Thanks for the pics.
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

great pics!!!!!!
  5. alex the dog

You're very welcome. Along with cruising around the country, I enjoy photographing unique places that allow me to re-live those places later on when I'm snow-bound at home. I've got so many photo files, I can sit at the computer and go on vacation again.

I bought an inexpensive little Canon A560 five years ago, and love how easy it is to take great shots. It even makes movies, but I don't know how to send those out. Also, I've tried to post a lot of pics that just wont upload for some reason.

Attached Files:

6. alex the dog

On the way to 105th Anniversary in Milwaukee.

Attached Files:

7. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

If ever an opportunity presents itself there are several note worthy motorcycle museums located strategically throughout the country. I think there locations form a Masonic symbol leading to a treasure and possibly a launching point for another National Treasure movie(joking):

1)Dales Wheels thru time in Maggie Valley,NC
    Home*-*Wheels Through Time

2)AMA Motorcycle Hall Of Fame in Perkinsonville,Ohio
    Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum

3)National Motorcycle Museum in Anamosa,IA
    National Motorcycle Museum | Home

4)Barbers in Birmingham,Alabama
    Barber : Home

5)HD Museum in Milwaukee,WI
    Visit the Harley-Davidson Museum® | Harley-Davidson USA

6) Solvang Vintage in Solvang,CA
    Solvang Vintage Motorcycle Museum, Solvang, CA

These are a few more lesser known ones out there. So far I been to Wheels thru time,AMA and NAtional Motorcycle museum. I am hoping to make it to Barbers in Alabama.

Out of the 3 that I've been to the one in Anamosa was the best from the point of view there was so much other stuff to do. The JP Cycles home base is there and they have an interesting set up out in Anamosa. Also in Anamosa is a place called Scooters bar and grill, fun times. I never thought I'd ever see a museum better then Dales WTT but The National Motorcycle Museum in Anamosa is better. Not by much.

Don't know if I'll ever get to the HD one in Milwaukee as one has to traverse some seroious F'me traffic and I'm not up for that.
  8. alex the dog

Interesting that you mention these museums Badinfluence, because that's what started me on my journey in 2008. After buying my StreetGlide, H-D sent me free tickets to their new museum that had just opened in time for their 105th anniv. Two weeks after getting my bike, I was on the road heading for Milwaukee. This museum is probably the best thing to see in all of Wisconsin, but the rest of the State is very beatiful too.

Along the way, I stopped in to see J&P's in Animosa, Iowa and their National Motorcycle Museum. It is awesome, and not easy to describe. They have a new location since I was last there, and I plan to go see it this year. And Scooters again.

In 2009, while cruising the East Coast down to S.C., I stopped in to see Dale Walksler's "Wheels Through Time" in Maggie Valley. That is easily the best $12 I have ever spent in my life. And Dale is the nicest guy you'll ever meet. His memory of historical bits is like a computer--limitless and extremely helpful in a selfless way. He really is a national treasure.

Thanks for the great links Badinfluence. You and FLHTbiker both sound like you're quite the traveler / historians yourself. It's always a pleasure hearing from someone who's "been down that road". How 'bout some photos of your rides.

Attached Files:

9. badinfluence63

Last couple years I rode to Nova Scotia,Asheville,Outer banks,Key West,Paintsville,KY,San Diego to name some. I will pick thru my pictures because most of what I have is nekkid wimmins.
  10. alex the dog

Hey, that's OK too! I went thru Nova Scotia and Newfoundland last year also. I loved it so much I've been thinking of moving there. What did you think of that area?

Attached Files:

11. badinfluence63

Asheville and Key west:

Attached Files:

12. badinfluence63

Outer Banks and WTT:

Attached Files:

13. badinfluence63

I use to go to Nova Scotia every year since 2005 as I am friends with the owners of Oak Island.
  14. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

thats some good pics ,is that your side car ?
  15. badinfluence63

Thanks and yes.......my priorities are screwed up,I have 3 bikes. 2001 Ultra(purple/shriners edition),1998 Ultra with factory matching side car(95th anny) and a 1983 FLHS I've had since new.

16. badinfluence63

Paintsville:

Attached Files:

17. badinfluence63

Newfies and Nova Scotians while nice are a very quirky people. Not to mention the winters are brutal and long, not a great choice for a motorcycle rider.

Property is really inexpensive in places as I had thought about that too as a retirement deal. You know live in the south in the winter and then NS in the summer. But how long can one continue to go back and forth? 80? 79?

So I am picking one place based on all the traveling I've done all my life and I have a very awsome spot picked out where the weather is not to extreme on either side, the economy fantastic and motorcycle riding out of this world.

18. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Look's like a proud grandpa ,Nice looking rig ,I had a Honda & side car while the kids where growing up ,I could take it on & off in a few minents ,The kids loved to go riding & I had room for three of them ,we took offf one day & put a little over 200 miles on it ,this we before cell phones & we where having so much fun I forgot to stop & call the wife:eek: she forgave us once she seen hpow happy & tired the kids where :cool:
  19. alex the dog

Those are some nice shots, Badinfluence. The first set came in kind of small (probably because you used so many in one post), but the second set showed much larger. Good job!

So you think N.S. winters are too much? Compared to my little town here, I think their much milder, but don't know for sure. I like all the lakes they have, and that's a dream I've always had is to have a cabin right on the edge of a lake. Prices seem pretty inexpensive compared to here too, except for gas. Why do you say they're quirky?

Where is the spot you're talking about retiring to?
  20. badinfluence63

I am definately all about family.