1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Cross Country

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by badinfluence63, Oct 24, 2010.

1. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Thanks. The photos probably don't come out bigger as I don't really know what I am doing,lol.

NS winter's are brutal and long and expensive. Don't forget the Canadian tax's..TSP,GST etc... everything is very expensive as a consequence. You're right though, housing is cheap by comparisson. I saw 2 houses I was interested in. 1 was a 4 bedroom on 5 acres for 32,000$ and the other was a 2 story 4 bedroom w/ garage on a house lot 1 block from the Western Shore, shore line for like 41,000$. Cheap enough,eh.

Why quirky. Having frequented the area since 2005 I was able to befreind many as well as get involved with some of their community activities. While I am still friends with many there today still, some of the ensuing consequences of said community related activities shead a light on the thought process and political drama of the area citizens and participants. They are a hearty people who have thrived under some difficult economic times. Tourism, one of their main economy boosters has taken a hit over the years because of the economy tanking and taking a dive here in the USA.

Now if I shared with you my researched and substanciated retirement location, what was a secret will no longer be a secret huh?LOL

2. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Don't know what the TSP or GST tax is, but I noticed property taxes were about double there, and food costs a little more. But I think the tax trade-off there, is good medical care that's free.

We can't afford health insurance at our age, and I don't think it would pay our bills if we did get sick. I don't mind paying higher taxes if the medical care is free at this stage in my life. I'm looking for a retirement place that I can afford to live, speak English, and not worry about terrorists aiming at me.

If you've got a better spot picked out, I'd like to know.
  3. badinfluence63

With regards to medical...were you ever in the military or were you 4F?

The free medical is a treacherous double edged sword with waiting list and despite everybody suppose to being equal*wink wink* for some reasom the more affluent Canadians seem to get preference I am told. It takes away the working mans incentive, just one more in a long line of underserved freebies. No offense but I can't believe you cannot afford insurance but you can afford to romp around the countryside on your motorcycle.

My retirement is a secret until I get there and then I'll share it. I'll give you a hint...it is in the USA.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Ya my self as well , all the kids & grand kids , we all have a good time together A couple of my kids ride so we have also had good time s riding together :D
  5. badinfluence63

We take at least one motorcycle trip a year w/ everyone. All the kids and grand kids. Me and wife on motorcycle and everyone else following in POV's. Once we get to where we are going the grandkids don their helmets,jackets and ride on the sidecar bike. This year we are all going to Pigeon Forge together for a week as well I am meeting some members of another forum there too.

It is expensive and alot of work. For me the ride there and back is my vacation so I don't mind all the logistics of the rest of the time in between. But its a lot of work because its worth it,lol.

6. alex the dog

I was in the military, but I have to drive 200 miles to the nearest V.A. hospital, and the care is barely marginal. Medicare is about to become bankrupt, and I haven't had to buy medical insurance before, as the company paid for it all those years. But try buying it for the first time when you're over 60, and it runs about $500-600 a mo. I do have medical coverage in my bike's insurance if I'm in an accident.

Besides, travelling by motorcycle is the cheapest mode of travel there is, if you don't mind camping some. And the bike gets 50-60 mpg on the open road.
  7. badinfluence63

Most VA's have CBOC clinic's that are open M-F as well our V.A. at least provides transportation and/or reimburses for travel if eligible. Medicare A&B cost's 5-600 a month? Make sure you keep your V.A. eligibillity current....

You should look into if your state offers BC/BS. Example... residents of North Carolina can purchase NOrth Carolina Blue Cross and Blue Shield. You don't have to be a State employee just a resident of the state:

Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina - Your Plan for Better Health| BCBSNC

8. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

Canada is in the top 5 in the world for paying tax! Most weeks I pay $1000 in income tax - which is just under 50% That covers my old age pension,workers comp,all health care etc. On top of that we pay about 15% sales tax on most items except for some foods and baby stuff

Gas $1.10/ltr or almost $4.10 /gal American Premium $1.25/ltr - $4.75 /gal

Cigarettes 20 $8/pk

$23,000 list price HD -$29,000 after taxes

But we have a balanced budget, high standard of living and mostly a very safe place to live!!
  9. badinfluence63

Canada, like America has beautiful riding country from coast to coast. I've been as far west as Winnepeg(my son was invited to a Western Canadian Jr "B" hockey try out a couple years ago).

However Canadians are no more safer then we here in the USA are. You have the same crap we have in our cities in your cities. There was a particular time when all the 1%'s were shooting up everything and everybody around them in Montreal,Quebec and other locations in Canada. Halifax was having issues with "swarming" not to long ago.

When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns...in my opinion, which is not gospel, your very strict gun laws only serves to keep guns out of proper citizens hands. It certainly does not curtail crime or criminals.

10. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

Definitely agree on the gun laws not helpin citizens,and ya our big cities like Toronto,Montreal & Vancouver have same problems as the US big cities but we got a little more open areas to stay far away from the looney bins!!

You have your constitution which guarantees certain rights - we got a bill of rights that only guarantees us that we don't have any rights :rant: :rant:
  11. badinfluence63

Funny you write about having more open space, hence staying far away from looneys......I was thinking that too as I was responding. I've ridden the QEW(I think its called)/401 from Montreal to Toronto and back.....very expansive.

12. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

Unfortunately a little boring too, except when crossing the Niagara Escarpment. Little hills compared to the Rockies though! Lots of farms and wooded areas just not along that highway 401 :(
  13. badinfluence63

I preferred Nova Scotia for Blue skys and scenic roads with either Yarmouth to Digby then thru the Kejimkujik NP thru to the 103 and then to Halifax or Straight from Yarmouth and up either the 103 or what they call the light house route to Halifax.

One thing....when it rains...SOB it pours torrential and all day, seems theres a price to pay for all that lush greenery,lol.
  14. alex the dog

Yes, I'm sure there is a lot more rain than what I'm familiar with, but that's why so many lakes. The lakes here are beautiful, but are all BLM owned, so we can't own property around them.

I didn't know about all the taxes they have in Canada. 50% income tax!!! 15% sales tax!!! You'd have to make some big money to afford that. Well, I'm supposed to be retired, so would not have income tax to deal with. It does look to be about double what we pay here though, so I'll have to re-think my plans or do more research.

What is this "swarming" in Halifax you're talking about? Bugs? I knew I'd have to sell my guns to go live there, and am not thrilled about that. I was planning on looking for some land in the interior around Kejimkujik, by towns with about 500 population.

Distance to travel places there is relative, as the whole Province is only about 100 miles wide and 300 miles long. Heck, I have further to drive to the nearest Harley dealer here.
  15. alex the dog

BluePearl, was that $29,000 delivery price for a new H-D (model?) $6,000 in taxes??? Do you have to pay import duties for U.S. vehicles and products?

Do you know anything about our Social Security income? Like, would I have to pay Canadian income tax on that? I sort of knew I would have to pay some tax on our other retirement income. Geez, if I have to pay U.S. taxes AND Canadian tax on that, there won't be anything left for me!

Almost forgot. I'm planning on going to the H.O.G. Rally in Sydney, Cape Breton in June. Anyone else going to that?
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  16. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

You can keep your guns (hunting rifle,shotgun)nothing automatic but would have to be registered to you! Handguns are only allowed to and from shooting range in lock box separate from ammo!!
    My % of income tax is on the high side because of my income if you are under $100,000/yr it averages at 30%, even less if your retired. I do also get $3000-$4000 back at tax time. As for your retirement income tax the US and Canada do have agreements if you live here but you definitely want professional advice on all that.
    On the HD, right now our Canadian $ is close to par with the US $ so we would be paying maybe $1000 more than US msrp plus 15% tax!!
    A few yrs ago the US$ was worth almost $1.40 Canadian so your money up here would go alot further, it should be heading back that way as soon as the US gets further out of their recession. We actually need the US$ stronger because it helps our export products to remain competitive and it's great for Americans coming here because their dollar buys them more.

Ok back to shoveling 10" of snow that should have stayed in Minnesota :fight::fight::fight::rant::rant::rant::D
  17. alex the dog

Great! I don't go around carrying guns, but really would like to keep mine. No, I don't have any auto. assault weapons, just a few hand guns, mostly historic old western collection. I even thought about hiding them in household items when crossing the border.

You didn't mention if there was an import duty on U.S. products. Is there?

By the way, all our snow and cold weather fronts come from Canada. Ha!!
  18. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

Import duty depends on the item could be a duty or customs fees but really only effects you if you are bringing the item across the border yourself. Most of our retail runs exactly the same as US any duties or import taxes would included into the price

So someone owes me alot of import fees on all that snow I sent down there!!:D
  19. badinfluence63

As an American citizen do yourself a favor and don't fock with the border guys on either side. They are gun ho and they take there job serious. Pity the old fool who gets caught. Canadian prisons are not designed to warm the cockels of American citizens hearts...I'm just saying. Had an acquaitence of mine end up in one and it was a horrible horrible experience.

"If you dance you will have to pay the band"

"If you cannot do the time do not do the crime"

20. alex the dog

Amen to that. But I've crossed the Canadian border about 30 times now, with never a problem cuz I wasn't trying to hide anything. They somehow know if you're lieing.

I own a small cabin in Haines, Alaska, so I ride or drive there a couple times a year. Over 2300 miles one way. RCMP's (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) are the best cops I have ever met, and will always help you if there is a problem on the road. There are stretches of highway up there that are so long and deserted, you are actually happy to see them.

I had a funny encounter with one years ago while on my first ride through B.C. I was going 100 mph on a long straight, when I got pulled over. I saw their speed limit sign read 110 and thought it was OK (kinda like Nevada used to be), so I did. But their speeds are in KPH, not MPH. When he walked up to me, he asked "First time in Canada?"
    "Yes sir." He laughed and said "All you Yanks try to do it". Didn't give me ticket either.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011