1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Cross Country

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by badinfluence63, Oct 24, 2010.

1. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

I too have crossed back and forth over the border for many many years for one reason or another. Got a couple funny stories....one involving candian cigars on my dash board....lol.

Alaska is definately on my near future to do list. Its what I spend my free time researching and reading others adventures and in some case misadventures,lol. Lucky you for having the Haines,AK access.

I was originally suppose to go in 2010 but did NH to SD and back instead. No regrets for doing that. It was awsome.

2. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

You definitely have a long ride across the country just to get close to the route up through Canada. Here's a thought you might consider: ride to Vancouver, B.C., then take the ferry boat (with your bike) up the Inside Passage. It has several stops along the way to Alaska, where you can get off for a day or more until the next ferry comes along.

You'll see parts of Canada and Alaska that you will never get to see any other way. The ship's rooms are extremely nice and comfortable if you want one, has a good restaurant, and your bike is safely stowed where no one is allowed to go after sailing. You don't have to get off at the stops if you don't want, but the trip all the way to Seward, Ak (close to Anchorage) will take 3 days. It's very enjoyable sailing, and you'll be well rested to continue your ride on the mainland of AK.

I did it once each way just to see those parts along the coast, and loved it. It's a little slower than driving through Canada and the Northwest Territory to get to AK.

Attached Files:

3. badinfluence63

With regards to Alaska...both my wife and I get 5 weeks vacation should ne more then enough time you'd think. Its about 10,000miles round trip plus/minus a few miles this way or that.

I have looked into the Alaskan ferry system from Haines,AK to Bellingham,WA one way and for the bike, me,wife and a 2 bed berth its around 15-1600$ and a 3-4 day float. Not sure which I'd do..ride or float. Not a big boat person but I like the idea of getting a head start home from Bellingham,WA where its pretty easy catching I-90 east.

I've taken ferry's with my bike. The one from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth,NS and the other one in Canada that connects to St. John,NB to Digby,NS.

They say you don't have to tie your bike down, not to worry about it and the one to digby ferry you can get a way with it because you're not in the open ocean but rather the Bay of Fundy.

But the ferry from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth,NS you best tie your beast down. The open ocean can get pretty rambunctious on that one and more then one motorcycle rider has been called down to his/her bike mid crossing.

[/QUOTE]
  4. alex the dog

On the ferry up to Alaska, there will usually be several bikes going along, and they are parked closely together. Definitely bring some tie-down straps, or you'll have to buy theirs for $35. And if your bike falls, it will fall on the next one. The Pacific is fairly flat up the Inside Passage, and very easy cruising--no sea-sickness.

If you take the highway thru Alberta or B.C. over to Haines, you'll have three nights in motels along the way (plus gas) will almost cost as much as the ferry. It will take you several days just to get to Washington, but 5 weeks should be plenty of time unless you want to explore Denali beyond the tour bus ride thru the park--it's enormous.
  5. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

I have spent most of today off & on reading this entire post and looking at all the pics. Thanks to all of you who have contributed - I have lived vicariously thru your travels and stories. I have Easter break from school and have no work to do on my scooter; it sits waiting for a transmission, so I'll be traveling in my mind to all the wonderous places all of you have posted!
  6. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Heading back from Florida around that time - wouldn't be a problem to swing thru on that run it's not really that much out of my way - depends on how much green I have left cause the OL is going to drive down to Fl and spend some time with me - just wish I could get her to ride up with me - but she's made up her mind (what little of is left) so will have to make the call at the last minute- just watch for Blu with a old geezer ridin single around the forge it'll probably be me.:)
  7. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Somewhere around the second week of May - gotta go to Panama City first for Thunder on the Beach then down into your area to look for a house or apartment for the winter - OL and I are going to be snowbirds this year to see if we like it well enough to make a permant move down there. If we decide to make it permant we will be buying a house somewhere in the Tampa/Orlando area.
    I like the idea of being able to ride year around and the winters up here in Northern Indiana are getting way to much for these old bones.
    Thought about Texas but don't cotton to wildfires and flat country they have out there. It's a good place to visit and I've been there many times but it's not for me.West coast is great place to been all over that end of the country but decided ocean front property in NM would probably be a better investment. Earthquakes ain't no fun - neither is volcanos.:)
  8. alex the dog

NC to Alaska would be quite an expedition Joshbob. Best do that with another rider friend. If you came through CO, I'd go with you the rest of the way.

I read that H-D is sponsoring the Hoka Hey (Zuni Indian for "Let's ride")endurance run for H-D motorcycle riders only. It goes 11,000 miles in 11 days, leaving from Phoenix, AZ and rides through all lower 48 states, ending in Nova Scotia, Canada. Now that is really an endurance ride to dream about.
  9. badinfluence63

Sarge,

I'll b in Pigeon Forge May10th thru May 13th. I'll Pm you my cell number. I'll be staying at the Holiday In Express.

I'll be riding a 95th anniversary Ultra w/ matching factory sidecar.

10. badinfluence63

Its dangerous and you'll have more fun organizing your own trip. Not trying to take anything away from those who participate in it.

11. alex the dog

Haven't seen you in awhile Badinfluence. Thought maybe you decided to take that trip up to AK after all.

Pidgeon Forge with Sarge eh? Good luck to you guys, and try not to think about us who are stuck in the snow. Ha! Send us some pics of those sunny beaches.
  12. badinfluence63

Hey A-dog!

Its been a long and harsh winter here. Still cleaning up from it as well it snowed again today,...go figure.

Been modifying my bike trying to make it more comfortable with better bars ands perhaps and Air Hawk seat too? I put on bagger nation bars and oh the ride is much better. To much angle on the stock bars:

[​IMG]

13. joshbob

I'll have to build up serious riding muscles to take on a ride to Alaska! (I have a hard tail with a sprung seat). Not sayin' it can't be done, though. Hoka Hey is a thousand miles a day. Holy Cow! Haven't done a thousand mile ride since in my twenties and my '72 Sporty about beat me to death. I'm going to put Balance Masters on the crank and clutch on my shovel to help minimize vibrations. Us old geezers can only take so much!
  14. badinfluence63

I'm thinking its who can do it the fastest and not a mandatory 1000 miles a day.
    I might be wrong, here's the official web site. I have a friend who did it last year and will do it again this year.

Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge

Is your hardtail electric,kick or both? Balancing the fly wheels makes for a better ride too?

15. alex the dog

Good post Badinfluence! To put in that many miles continuously, you better have something soft and comfortable. Read some of the stories by the riders, then look at the photo gallery.
  16. joshbob

Mine is a kick only. Balance Masters makes them for wheels, too, for all sorts of vehicles. UPS uses them on it's fleet of step vans. Everybody I've talked with who uses them swears by them. They make special ones just for Harleys. If your motor is being rebuilt, you can send the fly wheels to them and they'll graft one right into the fly wheel, or you can just bolt one in off of the compensator. There's one for the clutch basket, too.
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  17. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I've used the Balance Master on several early year EVO's and they do work, used one on the end of the crankshaft and one on the clutch basket on an 85 low rider 4 speed EVO, it really made a difference. used one on the clutch basket only on a 96 EVO and it helped also. don't believe that a TC needs them.
  18. alex the dog

Yea, I think they do. Mine is an '08 with about 65,000 miles on it, and it had a bad vibration at idle from day one. Sitting at a stop light, the whole bike shakes like a poodle, but goes away as soon as you take off. Ironically, my '07 Dyna (also a 96 ci) is smooth even at idle.