1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

CV Carb For 900 XLCH

Discussion in 'CV Performance' started by CV4Kickers, Sep 25, 2019.

1. CV4Kickers

CV4Kickers New Member

Hi- I just joined this forum and appreciate the opportunity to discuss the last and best carburetor Harley Davidson ever used on their bikes.

As an introduction, I started riding mini bikes and dirt bikes when I was a kid. My first homemade 'street bike' was a '71 Suzuki Savage 250 2 stroke enduro I put street tires on and geared higher for street use. Later I bought a 2 stroke Yamaha RD 350. The next was a '55 rigid frame panhead that I built from a $800 basket case. Later I built a '67 XLCH from a $700 basket case, bought a '74 Super Glide- the only year that shifted 1 up and 3 down, and a '65 Electra Glide police bike with a hand shift / foot clutch. Some other metrics I owned were a '79 Yamaha XS 650 Special, a '78 Honda Goldwing, and a '79 Kawasaki 1000 LTD. More recently I owned a Moto Guzzi V11 Sport that ran and handled excellent but my body didn't like the bent over 'sport bike' riding position.

The past few years I've gotten back into older bikes and bought a '69 XLCH 900 Sportster that has a magneto ignition and the original Tillotson carb. Last week while trying to start it, after about a dozen unsuccessful kicks it backfired and bit me. My foot's still black and blue so I thought about replacing that chainsaw carb with a CV.

I'd like to know, can I identify an 883 XL Evo carb by the part number only or is the throat smaller than a big twin carb?

I'd like to adapt the original internal spiral throttle wire to work with a CV. The left handlebar grip operates the spark advance so I don't want to change to new style bars and a cable throttle assembly. The old style throttle wire extends instead of retracting to accelerate so I'll have to modify the cable pulley on the throttle shaft to accept the throttle wire set screw swivel.

If anyone here has run a CV carb on a 900 ironhead or any kick start Sportster, I'd appreciate you sharing your experiences.
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2019