1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

CV carb upgrade

Discussion in 'CV Performance' started by Jordan1200, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Jordan1200

Jordan1200 Member

Hi Everyone,

I own a 1999 sportster 883 Hugger with Buell 1200 Thunderstorm heads and pistions. SE .497 bolt-ins and an SE ignition module and the stock exhaust with a 3/4" hole drilled in the plug. I have tried the dynojet kits drilling and not drilling the slide. I found that I have had the best luck with the stock jets 45 slow and I think about a 180-185 main, (needle NC65 with two shims).

I am considering the CVP kit although I don't really know how it differs from the dynojet kit. Both have different needles,jets, require the slide drilled etc...
    If I was to go this route, what kit and jets should I try?

Jordan1200
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2013
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

jordan, I would not drill any carb , just use the bit to clean out the hole by hand with the drill bit , don't know to much about dyna jet kits except had one & could never get it dialed in just right , tried the CV kit & dialed it in first try & it's been set there for over a year now :D
  3. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Hi Jordan, beyond any bias (I own CVP), I'll say that there are plenty of people on this forum and others that have converted from DynoJet to the CV Performance tuners kits and components with great success. The biggest complaint I always hear about the DynoJet and similar kits is the adjustable needles and overly rich jet holder tube replaces one problem with another.

As you probably already found, drilling a slide (as suggested by DJ) is a bad idea and causes more problems than it cures. The CVP kit does not recommend drilling the slide other than with a smaller provided bit to clean up a port that might have burrs from the factory. A new replacement slide will be just fine out of the box.

Since you have already gone the route of cams and a new ignition I highly recommend ditching the factory mufflers for a set of SE's, Pythons, Rush, or other similar slip-ons that have improved flow baffles. Punching or drilling factory baffles rarely works out well and can cause flat spots and lack proper scavenging of exhaust gasses.
  4. Jordan1200

Jordan1200 Member

First off I would like to thank everyone that has responded. Ken I had SE I slip ons on the bike but it was just too load. I actually damaged my ears on a trip from Toronto to Lake Placid a couple of years ago. I did the mod to the stock ones as a compromise between stock and the SE I's. I have been on the look out for a set of SE II pipes. I know there are a couple of different versions of these out there. I have also been considering 2 into 1 pipe but they are not cheap and harder to find now days for a bike with factory forwards. I'm curious about the springs in the CVO kits. Are they as light as the Dynojet springs? I am glad to know that you don't actually drill the slide with your kits.
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

you really don't want a super light spring, contrary to the
    "you'll have better throttle response" line a too light spring
    combined with the other changes can cause the slide to hunt
    up and down, add in a drilled slide port that changes the pressure
    and thus the purpose of the slide, you get erratic idle and throttle
    as the slide moves vs holding steady.

That slide is designed to find the optimum point where air flow, velocity and
    fuel max the potential for the engine. It's why a Super G on a smaller performance
    engine will actually hurt low end performance. Whack one open and you get a delay
    while the engine tries to catch up to the big open port, the CV or Constant Velocity
    carb cures that and is best for Street bikes.
  6. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Hi Jordan, the CVP spring is lighter/shorter than stock but not as light weight as the DynoJet springs which use a much lighter wire. We use a harder stainless steel wire that not only retains it's tension but has been balanced for both compression and recoil rate optimal to the CV carburetor's requirements.

If looking for a new set of slip ons check out Rush. I've always liked them and they have options for different size baffles (sold separately) to find just the right sound.

Regarding Canada (I think that is where you're at), it should be mentioned that shipping rates from the US to Canada went up nearly 60% this month! Something to consider when ordering. Combining multiple orders with friends might save you some $$. Not to get off track here, but ordering that spring which is $7.95 would cost you almost $25 to ship! Yes ridiculous I know.
  7. marc 55

marc 55 Well-Known Member

Not exactly the subject of carbs but I have been wearing custom fit ear plugs for 20+ years not a problem my hearing...Can't say that for my brother or some of my friends...Custom plugs can be $$ but my hearing is worth it...You will also be much less fatigued at the end of the day...
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member