1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

CV Carburetor Question and Help

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Marc1340, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Marc1340

Marc1340 Active Member

Thanks hotroadking, She seems to run much better than it did at about 3/4 turned out from stop, and idles fine and by the plug color here looks just a bit rich, maybe safe rich. Maybe a smaller Jet will fix that. photo.JPG
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

The way it works with the screw is to turn it 1.5 turns from bottom,
    do not cram it down tight, just lightly touch the bottom so you don't fubar
    the carb.

Turn back out 1.5 turns, start bike, warm up and then lock the throttle
    at about 1800 rpm for a nice smooth running engine.

Then turn in the screw counting half turns, when it starts to die stop.

Now turn it out counting turns or half turns your call.

When it starts to change idle, stop.

Take the number of turns, divide by two and set the screw there

So say you turn it in 1 turn, back out 2, then from the out two position turn in one. This is the optimum point for the screw based on the jets.

Now, having said that if you can turn it all the way in and it never stumbles the pilot jet is too large, back it down one size, start over until you can get the carb to respond to the turns of the mix screw.

Wear some gloves, cylinders get hot...
    Marc1340 likes this.
  3. Marc1340

Marc1340 Active Member

Thank You Hotroadking I will work on this tomorrow, just got back from a ride of about 140 miles with a bunch of rode types and elevations and pulled the plugs and they are a very light gray, not white still on the gray side so I am going to reset and adjusted exactly what you stated above. I know this has been a long but we are so close now I can taste it LOL
    Thanks again for everyone help!!!
    Marc
  4. hotroadking

What was your mpg like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. Marc1340

Marc1340 Active Member

46mph one up and I am a big guy 6ยด235.
    Going to go back to the rich side of the adjustment. This is so cool and am at the doorstep with maybe a small turn of a screw and no more fouling.
  6. Marc1340

Marc1340 Active Member

What a hugh headache this was
    When this is done can't wait till I pull down the motor LMAO
    Lucifer likes this.
  7. Marc1340

Marc1340 Active Member

Done and running great for the 1st time in 6 months and the best gas MPG in years!! Thank you all, ended it at the mixture screw 1 1/4 turns out from bottom out. 175 main jet 42 pilot solid needle valve enricher plug and spring replacement and needle and float replaced. This is want the plugs look like, compared to the first set that is about the best you can get!! Nice clean burn.
    photo-2.JPG
  8. hotroadking

Excellent 46 mpg is very good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. Marc1340

Marc1340 Active Member

Road Yesterday for about 150 miles this time 2 up with the old lady and got 40 MPG and she ran great, not a single pop or backfire, no smell of fuel. Think we solved the problem and the plugs look really good after the final adjustment of the mixture. Thanks All
    FLHTbiker likes this.
  10. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Good to hear...:)
    Marc1340 likes this.
  11. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

campy1200, might have better luck on the ( for sale listing) section of the forum not on a tech thread.
  12. hotroadking

Took care of it
  13. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

marc1340 inquiring mind would really like to know what you think was the root of all the evil?
  14. Marc1340

Marc1340 Active Member

By the looks of it the Carb needed a rebuild, The float tab had a good size ding where it hits the valve, looks like it may have been done while shipping, long boat ride from the USA. She is getting great gas MPG 46per gal one up and 40- 2up but she is a cold starting she does have a new starting, she wants to warm up. Full choke for about 2 minutes, half choke for about a mile and all the way in after that. I put my gear on while she is warming up. Before she used to start at full choke for just a few seconds and pushed all the way in and ride on. I truly believe all the items really needed to be replaced due to weather and humid condition as well as age and miles like the plug wires and the seals were leaking a bit also. Once she is warmed up she runs great with a nice clean burn.
    I am doing my first club ride here on Sat, I have not joined any as of yet there are 4 or 5 here. The club I am riding with sat is a Harley only club, and with only 35 Harleys on the island it is small club. Not to sure if I want to ride with any clubs, may just want to ride with all of them and not just one. Looks like I am the only one that works on Harleys so maybe I will keep busy with tinkering with them here. I am going to do some Island hopping in the late spring this year, A short boat ride for me and the bike and got 8 other islands to visit and a plan to get it on the mainland the following year and ride in Spain, France and mainland Portugal. Living the life Bros