1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

CV upgrade complete

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Lugnut, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Lugnut

Lugnut Active Member

Can't wait for Sunday. 36 deg,sunshine.
    Outta here.
  2. Lugnut

Lugnut Active Member

25 miles @ 20mph around the slow roads @ the lake @ steady throttle/rpm. New plugs installed.
    I like what I see.
    I'll do the other 2 runs tomorrow.
    Thoughts? IMG_1453.JPG View attachment 9533

Attached Files:

3. Marc1340

Marc1340 Active Member

Nice Clean burn Lugnut, Wish mine was as clean as that. I am still fooling with mine, manifold seal leak, choke cable and brass inlet valve, should be done this week. Got a question for you, are you ditching the screaming eagle plugs with the small electrode from the first set you showed? and Why? Just put a set in mine, once I finish tuning I am hoping they look like yours in the second pic . The gas here is High octane 95 is the lowest and high test is 98 with no ethanol. That will save the fuel system seals and rubber.
  4. Lugnut

Lugnut Active Member

In all reality, it will be the conventional plugs that I will use after I dial in the jetting. The IRs are nice but pricing, availability & the ability to eliminate variables( ie fuel quality, elev & troubleshooting fuel management issues) become easier if your doing the predictive "same old same old" spark plug.
    My concern is sticking with non ethanol & getting the higher octane along with it. I can get it when I go to the mountains in New Mex, OK or Ark, but in Tx is a fat goose egg, nada, zilch.
  5. Lugnut

Lugnut Active Member

I failed to mention,
    In my previous post I commented that " I like what I see" . The start of a light tan on the ceramic & a a fuel ring that wasn't too black/sooty. In all reality, going 20mph & the lack of air circulation @ that speed & doing this for an extended run might be detrimental especially when the summer temps come back. I'm going to consider going out on the pilot a little more to keep cylinder temps down but I'll cross that bridge after the 2 runs @ "locked" throttle positions Sunday morn. Hopefully, a final determination will be reached. I'm very close to what I want or I might be "spot on", I'll find out tomorrow.
    Marc1340 likes this.
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I'd be more concerned with being too lean than rich,

Rich hurts your fuel mileage, lean burns up engines.
  7. Lugnut

Lugnut Active Member

Locked the throttle @ 75mph @ just less than 1/2 throttle for 50 miles & this is what I wound up with. I'm disappointed. I was counting on a darker fuel ring or the same @ the 20mph run.
    I'm @ 190 on main. I'm thinking needle shim but I really would like the opinion of others.
    There is absolutely no intake leak, triple checked that & I'm burning 100% gas. IMG_1460.JPG IMG_1461.JPG IMG_1462.JPG
  8. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

They look pretty pretty close to me, 50 miles can start to give a good read. Seat of the pants feel for any flat spot in the rpm range and NO ping are some of the other things that are just as important. On the average most of the time when riding we all are changing throttle position as the road changes. As HRK said a little rich is better than lean.
  9. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Those look good to me .timing looks spot on also looking at the timing burn spot on the back of the ground strap also .leave it alone your gonna change the whole transition when you shim tje needle .ill put money on being to rich when you shim kens needle.
    Lucifer likes this.
  10. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

If it dont surge or cough or ping .you're good to go .look at the base of the threds and deep in the porcelain area not at the tip of the porcelain. Thats got good color.you're good bro
    Lucifer likes this.
  11. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Ya ain't gonna get any better than that....The 190 main is the right jet for an 80" Evo with some port work...Definitely don't want to go smaller...
    Other than change to standard plugs ,what did you change?? In a half turn on idle mix screw??
  12. Lugnut

Lugnut Active Member

Just got off the phone with the engine builder. Sent him pics of plugs & his reply was "Quit being such a frikkin perfectionist, your good to go!" So now I got a chorus singing the same thing. OK. I didn't shim & I'm backing off. I will have the opportunity to do AFR readings this weekend provided I make it to Texarkana & its not raining. Will post readings/pics.
    Guys, I really appreciate all the advise/recommendations you have shared. I feel compelled to buy ya'll a beer & a burger.
  13. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

It's yer acdc kicking in.
  14. Lugnut

Lugnut Active Member

Rain & a lot of it.....of course.