1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

CVP Carb kit installed and having adjustment problems

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by sportster97, Apr 1, 2017.

1. sportster97

sportster97 Member

Hello all,

I have a 1997 Sportster 883 hugger that would cough and backfire upon quick acceleration. I thought it was typical sportster cough or a dirty carb, so I ordered the CVP carb kit, pulled the carb, did a nice deep clean (it was dirty) and performed the carb kit install.

To start, the carb must have been played with before because it had two shims on the needle, a 180 main jet and a 45 pilot jet installed already. The carb cover had also been lightly siliconed down tot he top of the carb.

So, I changed the jets to the 44/175 as noted in the install instructions, installed the new spring, needle (with no shims) and emulsion tube, drilled the slide and installed the easy adjust mixture screw. I also cleaned any sealant off the top of the cover and the diaphram.

Now, when I start the bike, it will idle ok, but I blip the throttle and you can see a decent fuel spray coming out the carb and it backfires a flame out. Idle mixture was started at 1-3/4 turns out and brought out to 3 turns with not much change. The backfire seem to get "better", but when I rev up the engine, it hesitates for sure and takes a bit to get up to RPM.

What is the next step? I seems I took jetting out of the carb when I put this kit in so I wouldnt think it is getting too much fuel, but I could be wrong. I also have to keep putting the carb back on the intake because the previous owner had a crappy aftermarket filter assembly on it and it doesnt hold the carb on. I have a new one coming.

Also, I did note that there is a slight burn mark on the slide plastic, but not very much. the diaphram seems to be ok.

Thanks for the help! Bike only has 2500 miles on it original so I know its not real molested.
  2. sportster97

sportster97 Member

I also installed new plugs as well...