1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Cycle Gear Textile Jacket

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, Dec 1, 2012.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Heck if my wife could transfer in her job. Think I'd move to Arizona and live
    you look at yer phone and it says a possibility for rain.
    You look up in the sky and theirs not a cloud in site.
    I ask my brother in law. where's the clouds for rain.
    He said man yer on the desert. YOu don't hardly ever have clouds.
    It has to rain to have clouds. It mabe rains her 5 times a year.
    I git real bored sittin in the house cause of clouds living close to the coast.
    And I really get upset when its cold outside
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I do know CB, that when it does rain in AZ which they do get that it rains so hard they get flash floods. They have a monsoon season there for 3 months.
  3. cardboard

I've seen the gullys. But is don't rain much there.
    And I've heard nothing about 3 months.
    I heard 4-5 times a year total on the desert.
  4. FLHTbiker

The average starting date of the monsoon in Phoenix is July 7.
    The average ending date of the monsoon is September 13.

This fact from the weather people in AZ
  5. FLHTbiker

From the AZ dept,of weather:
    Summers in Arizona provide locals and visitors alike with one of nature’s most awesome spectacles of power – thunder and lightning storms. The Sonoran Desert is defined by two rainy seasons per year, one of them being the Arizona Monsoon. As much as 70% of rainfall in the region can occur during the summer monsoon, although we typically receive one third of our annual rainfall during this time. Because of this, our desert is considered relatively “wet” when compared to others such as the Sahara. The word “monsoon” comes from the Arabic “mausim” which means “season” or “wind shift” and runs June 15 through September 30.

Flash flooding is a serious danger during the monsoon season. Dry washes can become raging rivers in an instant, even when no storms are visible as a storm can cause a flash flood tens of miles away (never camp in a dry wash in the desert). Lightning strikes are also a significant danger. Because it is dangerous to be caught in the open when these storms suddenly appear, many golf courses in Arizona have thunderstorm warning systems.

The strength of a monsoon can vary greatly from day to day. Some are nothing more than a gentle dust storm, while others produce tremendous thunder. A typical storm starts with high winds and a towering wall of dust that moves across the Valley. It is usually accompanied by heavy thunder and lightning and downpours.

Don’t cross a wash or road with running water. Take the usual steps to protect yourself from lightning. Slow down when driving. And enjoy nature’s light show in the desert.
  6. cardboard

Called my nephew who went to school in Phoenix then finished up in Scottsdale.
    Asked him about the monsoon during the time you said.
    He said the most he's ever seen it rain like that was only for a week at a time.
    It don't rain much there.
    He don't know about the Prescott area. He says he knows they git a lot more rain.
    They are like 4 hours north.