1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Death Wobble

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cardboard, May 19, 2011.

1. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

I'm sure a YZ will handle better and feel more stable at high speed. Each was designed for a different purpose, so, at the same time, would you want to take a long trip on a YZ or ANY sport bike??? Hell no!

I ride my '08 (with 63,000 miles on it) at 100-120mph all the time with total confidence because I know it can easily handle it, and because I maintain it well. On long trips, I'll cruise steady at 100 until my radar detector goes off.

There is nothing wrong with the FL design except the loose nut sitting on it.
  2. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

You're right as long as you understand the design's purpose and stay within the limits of that design when you ride. I've ridden the EG at 100+ numerous time and spend a lot of time 2 up pulling a trailer at 75 or so. I've never had the wobble so to speak but there was some slop and some movement in the rear... more of a weave. The front end with the fork tubes behind the steering neck of the frame allows for easy parking lot turns, good low speed handling and the bike is stable enough at speeds ....just a little too much moving around for my liking. I'm running shorter shocks on the back so the bike's geometry is like that of a street glide. I put a true track on the back and it helps with the weave. The bike is much more stable two up pulling the trailer. The frame change for the new touring bikes would suggest to me that they have addressed some of the issues with the old frame. I can see some highly skilled police officers overwhelming their motorcycles in some of the riding that they have to do. I just don't ride a bike that hard any more..not that one anyway.
    To answer your question about taking a long trip on a Sportbike I have to agree..not now..too beat up to do it and part of the beating was getting on the 350 two stroke and touring on it. The bike was perfectly fine..took a while for me to heal up after though.
  3. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's lack of basic maintenance that causes the wobbles. Keep tires inflated to specs and keep the top tree nut tight. Never had any problems.
    Funny, though. My neighbor who rides a Heritage never twists a wrench. He has the dealer do everything on his bike. There are some things a guy just shouldn't trust someone else to do, like tire maintenance, for instance. Or every now and then, check nuts, bolts & screws for tightness. More than once, I've found loose nuts, bolts & screws, even after taking my ironhead in to be serviced by a Harley dealership.
    Last edited: May 24, 2011
  4. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Think I said it before, got a buddy that bought a Brand new SE Ultra. had it lowered and had it to the dealer 4 times complainin about a wobble on top end. With 2000 miles on the bike, it went into a wobble at 100mph, threw him off and nearly killed him. Bike was totaled.
    So don't know what else you can do when its a brand end top of the end bike and been checked out 4 times by the dealer.:gah:
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

If you remember a few years back the posts I put up about the cop lady I know who was thrown from her bike on I-90 in Wyoming. Her bike had been lowered at a HD dealer to. She spent 3-4 months in intensive care and almost died. She had more broken bones than I can remember seems like every one was broken. Took her a couple years to return to work light duty for awhile but back in the squad car now with her dog.
  6. cardboard

I know short folks want the bikes lowered. I think it does something to the way the bike trails and causes problems .
    And folks who use raked Trees are another problem in the making.
  7. FLHTbiker

Yep, be kinda like putting JB on a Ultra Classic, would have to put training wheels on it to keep it from falling over.:roflmao::roflmao: Sorry JB, don't get madd:D
  8. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

I experienced Death Wobble during a 70 MPH gentle down-hill curve about 10 years ago. The bike front end just started shaking so violently and it slammed me up against the concrete divider on a four lane highway in heavy CA traffic. I managed to stay on, despite hitting that wall so hard the engine guard wrapped around my left leg (no engine guard = no leg). The collision slowed the bike down a bunch, and I did nothing fast (eased on the brakes and regained control). I then just continued riding the 60 miles home (to the amazement of the cagers that saw the sparks and concrete fly - had to represent!). This was BEFORE I lowered the bike, by about 4 years. I've been extremely cautious ever since, so if I even think I feel the slightest shimmy I back off the speed, and I've never relived that wobble.

I still don't know exactly what caused it. I do feel that after I switched out the stock handlebars the bike has felt more stable and far less likely to wobble - but I am always alert for any sign of instability, and will err on the side of caution. I did have a H-D shop check it out after the mini-wreck - they SAID they found nothing wrong, but they had it a day and a half, maybe they corrected something that protected them? I really don't think lowering it is the problem.

Frankly, if I hadn't slammed up on the concrete divider, I don't think I could have recovered from the wobble on my own. I guess it just wasn't a good day to die.

:cheers:
  9. FLHTbiker

Wow, sorry to hear that as that would be a bit unnerving for sure. Wonder have you greased the sterring head or checked the torque on it. I've heard stories that even on a brand new bike that it has been virtually dry.
  10. joshbob

You boys are giving me a lot to think about. I lowered my front end about 2" with a lowering kit from Progressive Suspension. I am going to put Ol' Bob up on a jack and double check the grease and the torque on the top nut. I've never had wobble on any bike I've ever had, so this is something new to me. I will be very careful when I finally get the bike on the road . . .
  11. cardboard

Mabe short people should be riding on back so they can Hold on.:gah:
  12. cardboard

Just pay attention, anytime you lower you change the original geometry on the bike and it can do certain things different when yer riding it.
    If you don't have a new frame style bike I would put a stabiler link from the tranny to the frams like progressive.
  13. joshbob

I'll look into it.
  14. more power

more power New Member

I had a 2000 ultra that wobbled in the sweeping corners and not at high speed. It would be ok as long as i gassed on it. Took it to a couple of dealers including the place I bought it and nobody could find anything wrong. Sold it.
  15. Studds

Studds Active Member

I got my 03' Electra Glide Classic last October and the first thing I noticed was when I pulled a U-Turn under the Interstate with any speed ( 30-50 mph) it felt like the rear end was trying to come around. I installed the Progressive Touring Link in mid-November and can not come close to explaining what a difference it made. I'm now running the Progressive Lowering Spring Kit on front with the Progressive Rear Shocks and Progressive Touring Link. The bike feels like the difference in driving an old 59' Chev. and a 2010 Vette.
    Color Me Happy !
  16. more power

more power New Member

17. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

probably the least expensive. I went with the true track. It was more money but what I liked about it was that the stresses on the transmission and frame seemed to be sread out more over a greater area.. have a look at how it all goes together between the two setups. The true track has reaaly settled down the back end of my bike. I'm sure the progressive setup is ok as well but I got a little nervous with the way all the support and stress was on the right side of the frame and transmission as opposed to being central on the true track so I spent the extra money.

I just noticed that you have a FXR so you know what a good handling Harley is. The rear stabilizer will help your touring bike a lot.
  18. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

You may want to check your trail if you just lowered the front end...too little or negative trail can cause the "Death Wobble"

Motorcycle Tech Tips - Chopper and Bobber-Tech Tips Understanding Rake and Trail
  19. cardboard

20. yankeesprt

yankeesprt Member

I had a 2004 Road King Classic that I traded in a couple of months ago on a 2011 Ultra Limited. I wrecked the Road King about a month after I bought it. Honestly, I do not know what caused the accident, so I attributed it to rider error.

The Road King was always kind of unstable, especially on the highway. Anything over 65 or so would make me uncomfortable. I went to Sturgis last year and had a stabilizer installed. It was worth every penny of the $200 I spent on it. I highly recommend this product.

I have about 700 miles on the Limited and have not noticed any instability. In fact, it handles much better than the Road King ever did, particularly on the highway.