1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Decel Pop

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by FLHTbiker, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Hdtractor1

Hdtractor1 New Member

With mine the Fuel pak and map got rid of the black smoke and the true duels proved out to be much better performance and sounds excellent....but the pops and crackles gets on my nerves....lol...ifthundermax ever comes up with a fuel module to replave the V&H fuel pak that may cure my pops and cracks......
  2. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

HarleysLR, never heard of "auto tune" for using with the Power Commander. Can you give me some more info about it? Thanks.
  3. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

4. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Yep thank's for the link man there sure proud of it
  6. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Thanks for the link. After reading about the Auto Tune, I thought that's what the Power Commander did already. So, after a Dyno tuning, do you still need the auto tune, or is it mainly for those who don't want to Dyno?
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

both

You can load a base map and have auto tune "fix" it for you,and if you have a stage 1 bike that's not a bad way to go.

however if you have a full on custom build, heads, cams, pistons, etc then you'd be wise to have the tuner set a base map that creates the best power and then pop on the autotune as it will adjust as needed.

Most powercommander maps are about as close as china to being what a particular bike needs.
  8. Hdtractor1

Hdtractor1 New Member

e-mailed pcv site to tech. services...its only for the 09 touring models not for 08 or the 10's but will be ready for the 10 models very soon. Sounds better than wainting on Thunder Max since they are not intrested in the 08,09,10 modle owners yet....lol...PVC priced 369.00 for PCV unit and 250.00 for auto tune for 09 models. 600 for all not bad. Thats about 300 cheaper than a Thundermax that don't exist for owners of 08.09,10 models.

Have been thinking of selling my 08 Streetglide and get me an 09 or 10 geezer Glide. Thought I would put V&H long shots on the new Geezer Glide and the PCV with Auto tune.really like the V&H long shots on the Streetglide now,they sound really nice and run good.
  9. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Long Shots work really well on my friends Dyna, I have the Big Shots and they're good. I'd probably go Long Shots on a touring bike, they're more in keeping with the design.

Question for those with V&H pipes here, are you using the baffles they come with or their "Quiet Baffles"?
  10. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I have Big Shots Staggered, I use the stock baffle. I purchased a set of Big City Thunder baffles but they seemed to take away a bit of bottom end and midrange torque. V&H are probably number one in my book.
  11. Hdtractor1

Hdtractor1 New Member

Using the stock baffle and not the quiet ones.....they perfprm very well and can hear the radio just fine. Just dont like the pop and crack on decel.
  12. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

I have the Big Shots staggered too. I tried the quiet baffles. It wasn't much quieter, but it dialed back the volume just enough to make for a more tolerable sound, plenty loud, just a bit less obnoxious. Unfortunately, I found the performance suffered greatly and switched back to the original baffles. I do wonder if I had done a Dyno tune with a Power Commander using the Quiet baffles, ( I have the V&H Fuel Pack) if the performance would have come back and the volume remained a bit more tolerable when I ride the city streets. After changing the baffles twice, the performance was never as smooth as it was before I did anything. I can't seem to find the root cause of the change, but first gear has a little dip in power. I'm thinking it could be clutch plates.
    (only 7k miles, but lots and lots of clutch use in Manhattan traffic).
  13. Hdtractor1

Hdtractor1 New Member

It may be your clutch plates. You know you can call V&H tech. Number and get a couple different maps to put in the fuel pak? The third one they gave me worked best it seems.
  14. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

I was always curious about different maps. The thing is, my bike was absolutely perfect before some work was done, so I know the map for the standard baffles works well, and I can't imagine changing the map would be any better. Of course, I could be wrong. Since running perfectly, I changed the baffles, had lifters put in and a new head, put original baffles back in, changed to synthetics and then back to dino in the engine only, so many things could be affecting my performance now. A friend with 30 + years riding experience had the exact same bike and pipes as me. When he took a spin on my bike this weekend, he said it was handling the same as his did. This is leading me back to the clutch plates, which I'll look into over the winter. One thing, if memory serves, after changing to Quiet baffles and then back to the standard baffles, it seems just a bit louder, with a bit more vibration. At this point, I don't know if I'm imagining it or not.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  15. Hdtractor1

Hdtractor1 New Member

Have you tried holding the front brake and let the clutch out slowly while appling a liitle more torc to see if it slips? It will slip if your clutch disc are worn. I doubt its the disc with so few of miles on it unless you like burn outs etc etc....lol...

I have rode more than 30 years but not always a Harley:D
  16. hotroadking

Well the best cure IMHO is to drop in a set of cams, you'll feel the increase and feel better

Ever notice how your brand new superfast laptop/pc flys the day you get it but is so slow after a while?

I figure it's the same thing, you get used to the power/speed and well, it's an addiction I know

My name is HRK and I'm a performance addict LOL

BTW a nice set of Woods tw-6 cams will make it hop big time and you won't need to add springs etc.. What year is the bike?
  17. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Hmm.. that's interesting, HRK. I have the Harley Riders Rewards card at my Harley dealership. It's at 3600 points. At 4,000 points, I get a $400 credit towards anything I want. I haven't been spending much on accessories lately, but I'm sure I'll reach 4k by later this year or early 2010. I was planning on using the $400 credit toward either the wide tire kit or a set of saddlebags. It will definitely take the sting out of paying cash for those upgrades. There's a new service manager and he mentioned that he'd put that credit into the engine instead of the tire kit. Maybe you're both right!

HDtractor1, please give me a few more details about checking for clutch plate slippage, I'm sure it's simple, but I'm not seeing it. Let's see, first hold the front brake, pull in clutch, let out slowly, but how do I apply any gas if I'm holding the front brake?
  18. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

while holding the front brake, roll your hand back a bit....shouldnt take to much throttle to see if it is slipping.....hope this helps......
  19. hotroadking

if btw you do that test, and you shoot 100 yard out into traffic
    or plow through the front window of Scores,

your clutch might be slipping.... LOL

JMO I'd skip the wide tire kit, it's just a fad and once you get over a certain size like 180 on the cruisers the handling isnt that great, a 230 will make the bike want to stay up straight, you want it to corner, plus big fat tires cost double.

Replace your tires next time with a set of Avons and relearn how a motorcycle really should handle over the dunflats...

JMO take the points and get the SE 204 cam, adjustable pushrods, or, because hd cams use the same base circle as stock you can resuse the stock pushrods you just have to open up the top of the rocker box to pull them up and out of the way.

Cam will wake it up and you'll feel it everytime you are on the bike...
  20. jeff88

jeff88 New Member

hey hellboy to check the slippage try putting your bike in like 3rd gear so with the front brake on and try and move the bike shouldnt stall if there is any noticable slippage