1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

decel popping

Discussion in 'EFI Maps and Tuners' started by harley_z, Oct 9, 2006.

1. harley_z

harley_z New Member

Just put on V&H big shot duals, SE filter and a power commander on a 97 road king. Bike runs and sounds great, but when I go off the throttle, getting some good pops:mad: Any ideas what values I should put in 0 throttle position and what rpms? I called power commander tech support and they just said to "throw in some 30s or 35s in the 0 throttle column" :confused:

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I would probably conact the people at power commander.
  3. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Z,

30 and 40 at 0% throttle sounds a little like trouble to me. That's a strange suggestion. I may try it and see how it idles. Maybe if you put some fuel in the area above idle. Come to think, that might work:rolleyes:

I am not expert and am having troubles of my own, but, here is one thing I did that seems to work pretty good.

I have (on average) 13's fuel in the 20% throttle area from 1500 to 2500rpm. It tapers off on both ends of the RPM scale before and after. Anyway I left zeros in the 0% throttle but in the 2 percent I put a 4 in all the rpms, at 5% throttle I put a 6 in all the RPM's and at 10% throttle I put 10's. Basically I blended the fuel map down from the 20% throttle to the 2% throttle in all the rpms mid to high ranges.

This helps a lot. I Still get a pop now an again but nothing like I used to.

I still plan to go to a HD dealer that is on the approved Power Commander list for a dyno session. I am going there becouse they said they only charge $160.00 where the local indy charges $300.00. I'll find out how my calibration stacks up to what they do.

T.
  4. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

LAS VEGAS WITH MY WIFE OF 25 YEARS WITH NO KIDS
    Hey Tom

Seems like it never ends. This sounds like an e.z one to me but what do I know. I am a member of N.A.W. Hope things work out for you e.z and fast.
    This way we might be able to meet somewhere between Rancho and Vegas.
    I will be getting my top end back tuesday. So then I just have to wait for my partner to get back from a hunting trip.
    There is a great 50's dinner between here and you on the 15. I will be needing to put some miles on the bike. What a great way to do it. All freeway in the right lane going through many differant rpm ranges.
    I will keep you posted on the situation this week. GUMBY PEACE:cool:
  5. ZZTejas69

ZZTejas69 New Member

Popping

Contact a Power Commander tuning center in McKinney, Texas called Metric tech at 972-369-1190 the owner fixed my 02 RK and now it never pops under deceleration. FYI
  6. Clem

Clem New Member

exhaust leak

Decelleration popping is due to the exhaust gaskets leaking allowing cold air to be drawen into the port during the negative exhaust pressure of decelleration. The cold air and hot exhaust attempt to mix causing the cold air to basically explode in volume making the popping sound. Take a look at the exhaust flanges, they must be loose, or you may need to replace the gaskets. --use Evo gaskets, they work much better than TC ones from HD allowing a much easier seal.

BC
  7. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

Hey Clem

I believe you sent your e mail to the wrong person. You sent it to me instead of the guy on the top of the thred. No biggie just thought that he might want your info. Gumby 321 4 NYC;)
  8. Clem

Clem New Member

I just added a reply, did not send an email.... I see the "add reply" but I do not see anything about email - 'whadIdowrong'?

BC
  9. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

You Have Too

Reply to Harley Z. Thats the only thing you did wrong. (i think) I am not sure if we all got your pearls of wisdom in our e mail notification. Maybe I am the one that is wrong.. the thing is if Harley Z got your info then it's cool. If not you wisdom is for nada, zip nothing. We need all your and everyones wisdom here. I have gotten so much from this site. I never worked on my bike before.
    Through this site I was able to rebuild my top end with no problems at all. No runs no drips no errors. I used to be able to pay people to do my work. Now I am a retired young man of 54 who has much time and no money. Dont get me wrong here. I just dont have the money to have someone else do the job that I have the time to do. I started a club here. I call it the N.A.W for those of us who never picked up a wrench. It stands for NOT A WRENCH and we have a few members. Dues are cheap, just $ 100000000 cash to me to become a full member. Keep giving all us N.A.W members all your wisdom.
    Thanks...Gumby 4NYC:chopper: :biker: :rocket_bike: :bicker: