1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Decent weekend

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by badinfluence63, Jun 24, 2014.

1. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Man, I had a decent weekend for a change. Saturday nite went to Laconia for a couple hours, Sunday rode to Springfield,Massachusetts and Monday rode to Rhode Island for the day. I'm getting old and feeeling it. Not recooperating long enough between rides to get fully rested but I figure its good training for long trips.

What was the oddest is having my wife on the back and who has gained 20+ pounds since our last week long trip in 2011. That extra weight made a diffeerence in the handling. I love my wife no matter how old,fat,skinny what ever but I wish she would skinny up as its difficult to get on and off the bike for her as well.
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I remember when my wife was heavier, man that was a bi*^h trying to hold her up especially when first taking off. She lost 60 pounds and got skinny again which e really helped but now she rides her own trike. I think I like that just fine. Don't make the mistake in telling them they need to loose Weight, they get real touchy about that.
    Glad you had a good weekend we all need them. Wait tell you reach my age, I'm still riding a full dress bike to. Been thinking of a StreetGlide.
  3. badinfluence63

How old are you? You don't look that old.
  4. marc 55

marc 55 Well-Known Member

Yup...300-325 miles per day is the max fro us...And that is on the highway...I'm 57...
  5. badinfluence63

58 here. I'm only 5'7 so the Ultra is a bit of a challenge for me, especially with 2 up, not so much with just me. It would damn sure help the cause emmensely if she'd shed a shit ton of weight. Passengers sit higher up and on the backend as oposed to the driver who is low and centered if you think about it.
  6. FLHTbiker

I'm a bit older than you both and I'm 6' 1" so holding up the ultra being taller does help. When the wife had gained some weight and would wear chaps well lets just say they encumbered her getting on and off the bike, boy that was fun I'll bet it was a sight to see with me struggling to hold the bike up and her trying to get on or off. Oh man, glad she does not read this.
  7. badinfluence63

Yeah but I'm sure ya'll looked cool as heck tooling down the road together! The juice was worth the squeeze as they say.
  8. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

Texas between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls
    I'm considering going to a 750 for that very reason. Age. Sure wish I could find a FXRT that hasn't been stripped though. Oh, and at 66, when I was in high school, I thought that was near dead. Close but I got a few more in me I think.
  9. FLHTbiker

I ride with a couple guys one come on here occasionally who are both 75 years old. One rides a new Roadking and the other rides a 2010 or 2011 Ultra Classic. The guy that rides a Ultra did put on the kit so he can remove his tour pak and use it like a Street Glide.
  10. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

What about the new 1200T Sportster? Comes stock with modified mid controls and lighter weight than your used to.
  11. marc 55

marc 55 Well-Known Member

I hear ya...I'm 5'7 too with a 30 inch inseam...I weigh in at 155 and the wife about 105 which isn't so bad...A friend of mine lowered his but it changed the ride characteristics so he went back to the stock height...
    badinfluence63 likes this.
  12. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Softails got a nice low seat, handles good, it's not a canyon carver but
    can chew up the mountain roads at a nice clip. It's for cruising anyway
    if you want a canyon carver a sporty or crotch rocket is best.
  13. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

Texas between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls
    But it's a dang Sportster!!! he he.....I'll have to look into that. A Sportster has never been on my number one hit parade.
  14. Roadster guy

Yeah, me either. Then I bought one and found out it was faster, handled better, and vibrated less than everyone had told me. Plus, they have been around so long that most anything you need to buy to make it more comfortable for yourself is available. With the quick release H-D windshield and saddleman teardrop quick release bags I can go about anywhere.
  15. badinfluence63

105 pounds you lucky dog, you don't even know she's back there. I took my DIL out that same Sunday. She's tall and 130 lbs and I didn't even know she was on the back. I am supportive and pleasantly encouraging to my wife about it, I know she can do it if she wants to.

I've seen extreme Ultra modifications and which makes me scratch my head. The MOCO spends a bajillion dollars getting everything sync'd from the factory it doesn't make sense to me to screw with it other than cosmetics like windshield bags,higher/lower wndshield,XM/GPS radio,tourpack lid bags etc.. Me personally I'm not messing with the motor/exhaust or the structure of the Ultra.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  16. Roadster guy

I used to cycle to get out of the house, 60 miles some days, sometimes over 100 miles a day just for fun. Wife thought it was dumb. Now she is running three times a week, and she has bought a new bicycle to help with her running stamina. She is seeing her sizes fall and her energy and drive raised. Now she thinks I'm dumb for stopping. Freakin' women! It starts at the grocery store, likely 70% of weight loss is in the diet choices, not the exercise. Less red meat, less potato chips, more fish, chicken and dried fruits for snacks can make a big difference over a month.
  17. FLHTbiker

Just took a friend of mine into Portland to pick up another bike he just picked up. Its a 98 Triumph Trophy 1200 CC. That thing has power and moves right out. Sits a little tall as do all those bikes like that (sport touring) but for 2500 what a deal. Handles good and I think it's better than a Sportster. But like I said they are a bit tall for shorter riders, however I've seen plenty of women riding them or bikes like them.

image.jpg
  18. badinfluence63

I'm partial to the retro triumphs...old look new technology. The 2014 Thruxton Triumph
    Roadster guy likes this.
  19. FLHTbiker

I just found a Triumph Trophy in La Pine Oregon for the same price my friend paid and its 3 years newer. Its 150 miles away, bikes looks good. Here is a pic off of Craigslist.
    Might be a real canyon carver. Hmmmmm

image.jpg
  20. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Remember, us gray beards hurt easier and take longer to heal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2