1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Destructive starter

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Razor, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Razor

Razor Member

Thanks to this forum I worked up enough courage to put in a new Spyke brand starter in my 97 softail. I torqued everything to specs and it worked great for one week...and then destruction occurred. I hit the starter button and all I heard was shearing metal. The clutch plate lost two teeth and the bendix gear lost a bunch of teeth too. The HD tech explained that my clutch gear ring must have been damaged and when the bendix hit that exact spot...destruction. After replacing the bendix and starter, I'm back to ground zero. The HD tech who put the bendix in thought my clutch gear ring was fine when he put in the bendix. Since a problem clunking noise persisted, I figured it was a weak solonoid and changed out the starter. I just had to bitch to someone, so I posted this. Thanks for reading about my f----- problems.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

ask cardboard what he thinks about the spyke starters.................hold your ears!!!! lol
  3. Razor

Razor Member

Hey Cardboard, what's the story with Spyke starters?