1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Detonation

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by 03LD, May 12, 2016.

1. 03LD

03LD Member

Hello all. I was checking my plugs and they are starting to show some signs of detonation, some shiny little balls on the porcelain. The bike is stock aside from a K&N filter with a 2-1 header. It is a 03' 88 cid twin cam.
    The carb has a #180 and a #45 stamped on the jets.
    With the stock dual staggered exhaust the end of both pipes were fairly sooty. The new collector has a little bit of soot not very much, nothing compared to old set-up. I have order a 88-89 Sportster needle to put in. Does the jetting sound right? I know very little about working on bikes.

thanks
  2. 03LD

03LD Member

took the carb apart again..think I may have a DynoJet kit in it because the emulsion tube has not nut to hold when taking main jet out..also only as two air bleeds in it near the bottom. And the need has 6 different height settings. Like I said before it has a 45 pilot and a 180 main. The needle was a the 3rd from bottom I put it 2 from bottom with the idle/fuel mixture set at 3 turns out. The bike started and idled good no cough or spit when cracking the throttle in neutral. On the way to work felt a bit of a stumble when cracking the throttle say in 3rd and then seems to come out of it after a second or two. Pulled the plugs at work and the ground strap looked fairly white very little evidence of a fuel ring on the top thread. I was thinking that raising the needle would richen it up some in low throttle applications? If I had it my way I would either start from stock or order a kit from CVP but I have to work with what I have at the moment. The slide was metal and also the vacuum port was drilled to 1/8". From my understanding I can't use a H-D or CV jet with that emulsion tube...so that kind !@#$% me..

any input is appreciated.
  3. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

That stumble could be from the drilled slide jumping too quick...Sporty needle could help with the 45 pilot...Pretty sure most dyno-jet kits use a 48 pilot.Best bet when you have the coin would be dump the dyno jet and get CVP kit or stock HD and a new slide...Kinda hard to read plugs now with the fuel today...
  4. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Hi 03LD, you sort of answered your own question in regards to the main jet and being stuck since it is a Dynojet kit. You can only use a DJ brand main jet which is the major limiting factor, and their jet and tube can only be used with their adjustable needle.

Also you cannot compare the main jet from Dynojet to one from the factory apples to apples, they have different flow and DJ used their own proprietary sizing (aside from the different threads). Changing the emulsion tube to a stock or CVP emulsion tube will allow you to use a stock main jet or CVP main jet, and also work with the stock style needles such as the Sportster N65 needle.

Bottom line, Dynojet parts are not interchangeable with anything else but their own brand components. Since you already have the N65 needle I recommend a stock emulsion tube (p/n 27101-88) or our CVP emulsion tube, and a stock style #190 main jet.
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

And consider getting a new slide, or put the stock spring back in the cv, IIRC DJ kits have a lighter spring, so the slide pops up quicker, but if the hole is over sized and the slide is hunting the other culprit is the too light spring.
  6. 03LD

03LD Member

Thanks for the replies.. btw. My mileage is around 33 mpg... could i expect a bit better mileage for a longer haul? I did read somewhere where the DynoJet kit just makes noise and nothing gained performance wise?? This is the way the bike was when i bought it so don't really know what to expect.
  7. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Mileage sounds pretty bad. What kind of riding are you computing mpg on? Your mileage sounds like what I got with a vacuum leak and a ignition spark short - I'd think you should be getting at LEAST 36 mpg.
  8. hotroadking

Well he raised the needle and that monitors the flow from the
    main jet at part throttle, if that's where he's cruising and the
    slides coming up too much it's going to drink more fuel.

You could drop the needle two notches (one down from where
    it was when you started) to see what that does for fuel mileage
  9. 03LD

03LD Member

Ended up gettin a sportster needle with a used stock emulsion tube so not exactly sure of part #, but have a 185 and a 190 main with a 45 and 46 slow jet. Like Ken mentioned earlier I am going to try the 190 with 45 and stock emulsion tube. Unfortunately mostly do short little jaunts, except for weekends etc. Live 4 miles from work.
  10. hotroadking

you might check the spring in the slide, IIRC that kit came with a lighter spring, when I put it in my softail it ran like shidt....

The bigger hole with lighter spring could lead to the slide jumping about.
  11. 03LD

03LD Member

How would I go about checking the spring? I will have it out tomorrow. Don't really have anything to compare it to? What about shimming the spring a bit?
  12. hotroadking

Iirc the dyno jet spring is very thin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  13. 03LD

03LD Member

Ended up putting the stock emulsion tube back in with a 190 main sports term needle with one shim.. 45 slow jet. 3.5 turns out on mixture where it seemed best..seemed to have a bit of a flat spot in first half of throttle. Put two more shims under needle and went to a 46 slow jet.. woke the bike up by seat of the pants.. not sure which did it but thought "F it" do both at the same time. Going to let a buddy take it for a drive again and get a second opinion.. air/fuel screw now 2 turns where it seems to like it. Thanks for all the help. Great fourm!