1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Did I screw-up or what??

Discussion in 'EFI Maps and Tuners' started by EPS, Jul 23, 2006.

1. EPS

EPS New Member

Just installed a PCIII on my 03 RK with V&H slip-on's and SE air filter. My gas mileage went from 45 to 35mpg. I downloaded Dynojet's map for my bike configuration. I expected to see some drop in mpg but a 20+% change seems high. Could I have done something wrong?? ::confused:

I would sure like to hear from y'all about your experience.
  2. CD

CD Guest

Sometimes you need to tweak the MAP for your bike. Bikes, altitude, temperatures, humidity all play a role in tuning. A MAP will get you close but, to get it perfect you need to go to a tuning center. A lot of the time, you can get some mileage back or eliminate other minor problems by hand tweaking the MAP yourself.

http://biketalk.directparts.com/faq.php?faq=new_faq_item#faq_pciiituning_faq_item

This may help you recover some mileage.

I am sure you are also aware of the dreaded disease riders get after hopping up your bike. Wristwistitis can cause all sorts of problems ranging from lost mileage to obtaining bonus points on you driving record. The cure is to get it out of your system by riding, riding and more riding.

You can get a better idea of your actual loss by riding a familiar loop and trying to ride easily and not make rapid throttle changes....
  3. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

LAS VEGAS WITH MY WIFE OF 25 YEARS WITH NO KIDS
    I Have To Remember That One

Another disease to add to my list Wristittis. Along with my C.R.S. and many others. There is no Dr. that can fix Wristittis I am on my own with that one.
    Can't wait to try and rid myself of it. At least that one seems like fun.
    GUMBY PEACE
  4. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

The canned maps for the dynojet sux. They rob you of power. The canned map can be off by at least 10 hp. Seen it on a dyno tune.
    If you want to git the maxium tuning out of the unit you have to have it dynoed and a custom program done. The dynojet PCIII will not self tune.
    And if you make changes to yer bike you need to git it redyno tuned.
    If I had my choice it would be a Thundermax with Auto tune or 2nd choice a DTT tuner that will auto tune.

But this is just me. I bet a lot of other folks want a self tuning tuner in the future to keep from wasting money on Dyno time.
  5. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

tachs

it's awful hard to fine tune your bike if you don't have a tech on the bike:banghead: . from what i've seen seen on other posts, you'll be hard pressed to get 45mpg. in order to get that kind of mpg you're asking for the curse of "popping and farting":witsend: . i do alot of highway driving so i like to lean it out in the 2500-3000 rpm range. to get it right you have to do alot of trail and error:gah:
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

skull, question.....why do you like the bike to run lean at 2500/3000?? that would be cruising speed i believe??
  7. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

trying to get a little better MPG. i don't mean as lean as factory, and most of my time is spent in that rpm range. but of course without a tech it's somewhat guess work. the ulimate way would be with a dyno of course, but who could afford very many of those:confused:
  8. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

so chuck, do you think i'm on course with leaning it in the cruising range? i know i twist pretty hard on exceleration so from 1000 - around 2500 i added fuel and advanced the timimg 2-3% in that range. my gas mpg is around 38-40. runs pretty strong, but those V/H long shots tend to dog her down a bit
  9. chucktx

skull, i run a bagger, and normally 2up. sometimes i pull a trailer. personally i dont want a lean condition anytime, especially when cruising. i also live in the south where temps get a bit higher than pa. running lean may get it too hot, so i opt for the wetter side of lean.....i feel that running lean for extended periods......cruising....may shorten the life of the engine. i try to keep the same amount of "richness" throughout the power band, and my cv does a good job for me. i did have to "tune" it tho......and yes it was a bit trial and error. but that is all part of the fun!!!!:)
  10. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

i do worry a little about leaness resulting in higher engine temps. i keep an eye on the plugs. i'm not really to sure about reading plugs in this day and age of unleaded gas, seems the plugs don't respond to engine conditions like they did back in the day. the one area that puts fear in my heart is that of timing. i added a little in the exceleration range, but am unsure about the rest of the range. does anyone have any advice on timing? seems that the little bit i advanced the timing made the biggest difference of anything i did. i'm thinking that timinng is an area which could cause trouble in a hurry:eek: am i right about that, or paranoid. i try to never change things more than 3-5 at a time. and chuck your're right it's fun, down right addictive. any advice from you guys on this matter would be greatly appreciated:D
  11. chucktx

changing the timing a bit to the advance should not hurt you.....listen to the engine.....it will help ya determine the correct setting. watch the plugs and dont let it ping. the best way to do this in on a dyno....of course....but, the ol' seat of the pants will work also. that said, as i stated before, i keep it to the wet side of lean....check the posts here in the search, there are charts for looking at your plugs. i have an oil temp gauge on my bike, to monitor the temps, i also have a 10 dollar infra red aim and read temp meter from harbor freight i will stick in my pocket in the summer time......i use it just because.
    hope this helps a bit:)
  12. TM103

TM103 Active Member

Chucktx, what are you checking with the infra red? Heads, barrels or pipes?:confused:
  13. chucktx

usually the jugs.....i get a baseline....lets say 350....then if i get higher reading, i investigate. same with the oiltemp...it is just there to check...it doesnt matter what the gauge reads, it is when it is not reading what it has been....that is the indicator of a problem. volt meters are the same, just a gauge to check for problems, if they are acting abnormaly...:)
  14. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

the infa red gun would be an excellent way to keep an eye on the head temps. thats an excellent idea, don't know why i never thought of it. :confused: once the weather gets better i want to start playing with the pc again. another thing i'm thinking on is that switch deal that pc has out. you can switch between two maps while on the fly. like in chucks situation. when your're riding alone W/O a trailer you use one map. when your're riding 2 up with a trailer you can switch to other better suited map. or if you hit the mountains and have to climb the mountain from hell for the next 10 mis you can switch to the wetter map.
  15. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

LAS VEGAS WITH MY WIFE OF 25 YEARS WITH NO KIDS
    Forget All This Talk

I AM HEADED FOR CHUCKTX'S 31 PICTURE SITE....SEEYA BOYS......:banghead:
  16. chucktx

hey gumby.....nice to see ya again!!!:)
  17. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

thought you got lost gumby good to see your return
  18. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Gumby, where ya been man!?!!? Haven't seen you in a while, hope all is well.
  19. Ultra Al

Ultra Al New Member

Another solution for this may be available soon. In fact I think S&S already has a model in production of a computer module that dials the engine in as you ride, which the automotive industry has had for years. Other companies will surely also start producing similar units which should bring down the price. Al
  20. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Had a computer on my 07 that adjusted itself as you ride. It was called Thundermax with Auto Tune. Took it off when I traded my bike for the new 08. HD went and changed the plug connector for the ECM and come out with the DBW and threw a kink in everything .