1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Difference between 2003 & 2004 XL CVP Velocity Needles

Discussion in 'Other CV Performance products' started by SCREAMINXL, Aug 23, 2017.

1. SCREAMINXL

SCREAMINXL Member

Hello,

What are the differences between these two needles?

I'm asking because my Sporty is a 2003 with ported heads, 10:1 compression, SE 497 Cams and just chasing some MPG. My MPG has been in the mid to low 30's driving above 65 MPH since day one. It gets low 40's if you keep it below 60 MPH. The carb had a Dynojet 8103 kit installed before I even purchased it. The main jet is 170, pilot 42, mixture 3 turns out, and the slide appears to have been drilled has been drilled 1/8"(verified 8-22-17). I'm at 2,500 FT ELEV and weigh approx. 190# - 200# dependent on how much beer I've been drinking.

It has always ran well and idles fine after being warmed up, just lacked MPG.

I'm planning on putting a CVP emulsion tube, needle jet, & 170 main jet. I'm on the fence about changing the slide,spring, and cant decide between the 2003 CVP velocity needle, 2004 CVP velocity needle or the CVP N65 needle.

Well that's about it! Let me know what your thoughts are. Thanks
  2. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

You will want the needle designed for the 89-03 XL Sportster. The needle for the 2004 you mentioned is specially designed for the heads, cams, flow, etc found on the 2004-2006 1200 Sportster that used XB style heads.

We make the N65 needle but usually only the tuning shops or dealers use it who are either accustomed to using that or don't mind some trial and error tuning using shims. Everyone else we recommend our Velocity needle.

The drilled slide you mentioned may cause you to be chasing problems with decel pop and the slide searching (pulsing) under certain conditions. 1/8th is too big of a hole.

Also your jetting is too lean, assuming you are running a 1200 and not a 883 bike. You need to move up at least one size.

Or make your life easier and get one of our Deluxe Tuning Kits, no guess work and includes instructions and the right range of jetting for either stock or modified models.
    Red Rider likes this.
  3. SCREAMINXL

SCREAMINXL Member

Sorry for that omission, my Sporty is a 1200C also my bike has the 8109 dynojet not 8103, its for the 1200S model.

The dynojet 8109 kit recommends their 160 jet for a completely stock 1200 and 170 for modified. I can only assume they measure differently than HD jets? Stock 1200C jetting is 42 pilot, 170 main.

Honestly the bike runs well at all RPM's and Load, just poor MPG and my fellow riders say it smells rich when following me.

I already own an assortment of CVP jets. Trying to de-dynojet my Sporty.

I'll get a new CVP slide, needle, needle jet and emulsion tube ordered.

I was really interested in the needle differences 03-04 mainly because my engine is not stock, has CNC ported heads, 10:1 compression SE pistons, Screamin Eagle bolt in 497 cams, V&H Straight shots and single fire ignition. It outperforms my friends 2005 1200, so it must not run to poorly.

Thanks for the advice kenfuzed, I will let you know how it turns out.
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  4. SCREAMINXL

SCREAMINXL Member

Ordered!

CVP-NDLJET [CVP-NDLJET]CVP Needle Jet [CV Performance]

$12.95
    CVP-SPR08 [CVP-SPR08]CVP Slide Spring [CV Performance]

$7.95
    CVP-VTUBE [CVP-VTUBE]Harley Velocity Emulsion Tube [CV Performance]

$13.95
    CVP-NDLXL [CVP-NDL]CVP Velocity Needle [CV Performance]
    Model CV: Sportster 1200 1989-2003

$14.95
    CVP-SLIDE [CVP-SLIDE]Harley Vacuum Slide [CV Performance]

$38.95
    Red Rider likes this.
  5. SCREAMINXL

SCREAMINXL Member

Installed the above parts with a 45 pilot jet & 175 main jet. It's runs excellent. Put 75.0 miles on at 70 mph and burned 1.70 gallons, 44.11 mpg. Very pleased with these results.