1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Dual Carbs

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Apr 13, 2011.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Thanx Cowboy, at least someone is in reality!! :banghead:
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Fixing her bike should be considered high on the honey dew list, if not the most important. :D
  3. stevegoetsch

stevegoetsch New Member

Does it pop when decelerating, that is to rich fuel mixture. If it pops while accelerating then it is lean, possible intake leak, or advanced timing if this started and the bike was running good prior. Otherwise if the carbs have been messed with you need to richen the main and idel jet. Remember the plugs are the best thing to look at to see whats going on after a rejet.
  4. JohnnyBiker

This bike pops when I am under 55 mph. When I am under heavy acceleration it is fine and when over 60 I do not notice it all that much. the bike also pops only from the rear cylinder and the rear pipe is blue in a bad way which tells me more of lean condition. I have had the carbs synced when I got the bike and I was told that the bike was in for carb work but the previous owner had no idea what they did. The bike also is real doggy from off idle which also tells me lean. Any ideas?
  5. stevegoetsch

stevegoetsch New Member

Still think that cylinder has unburned gas getting out the cylinder to the muffler then burning, thus the blue pipe and running better at higher RPM when the engine can handle the gas. Check to see what color that plug looks like after driving below 55 for awhile. How good are the plug wires and is their a seperate coil for that cylinder, if so that could be bad. Those are the easy fix's.
  6. JohnnyBiker

A while ago I pulled the plugs out to take a look at them. The front cylinder looked just fine, but the rear one I could see what I describe as spark travel. I could see where the plugs was igniting. I am running higher octane fuel as this seems to help with how much it pops, but once I drop the octane, it is just terrible how bad it pops. I will have to find out if I have more than one coil on this bike, thanks for the tip on that.:cool:
  7. JohnnyBiker

FINALLY!!!!We finally got the bike to stop popping!!! Boy is this thing a different bike now... Maybe Hot Rider will stay off of WhipLash now???:rolleyes:
  8. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

carbs are out of sync my early model shadow had that problem when i got it . My buddy ray sync the carbs problem was gone and never touched them again sold it with 97.000 miles on it the guy still rides it today and ray just tuned it last week after 10 years .
  9. JohnnyBiker

That was a small part of it but the pilot in the rear carb was almost completely blocked. That was cleaned and we are good to go. That bike is a completely different bike...
  10. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

awesome good find!!
  11. JohnnyBiker

I took out Hot Riders bike yesterday for a long ride and this bike is so much more fun to ride now,. It doesn't pop at all, when you give it gas it actually moves and actually moves fairly quickly. One thing that I do not like is how the rpms fall so fast coming off of acceleration. I had to learn a different way of riding that bike. Another thing that it is really weird about this bike is that the throttle is so much more stiff than those on a Harley...