1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

EFI

Discussion in 'EFI Maps and Tuners' started by JohnnyBiker, Jun 18, 2015.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

OK, looking to convert my 2001 Road Glide over to EFI. This task looks pretty straight forward on its face but as with most things, there is a lot more to it. Now the engine will be a nicely built 117. The question that I have to start with is this, after the engine has been installed there obviously hasn't been a tune put in it yet. How will the ecu know what the basic needs of the engine are? Will it rely solely on the cam timing and crank sensor?
  2. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Well a basic map will need to be put in it it also will need to be a programed ecm .at start up the pcm looks at tps map baro and head temp opon cranking it looks at crank shaft rotation for rpm .so it knows witch cylinder is at TDC and when it will fire what injector .it could care less about cam timing .that would be more of a magent merely system not Delphi .once rpm is registered it will ground the fuel pump relay and the bike will start
  3. JohnnyBiker

Ok. So you can program the gem prior to install? How does one know what parameters to use?
  4. baggerpaul

That would be the factory stock down load .you will not have access to that software. Unless you know someone with a digital tech scantily you will buy a used 99_06 ecu that was cable driven throttle body .for a touring model .soft ail and dyna
    had different mounting.tabs
  5. JohnnyBiker

So I buy that used ecu, most likely that ECU is for an 88 c.i. as an example. Does that ecu have the capability to run a hi perf. engine on its own for any real amount of time before a tuner like a tts or power vision is installed and programmed? I am not talking about for hundreds of miles. More a long the lines of minutes?
  6. baggerpaul

To start it yes to run it for an extended amount of time no to ride it absolutely no! .but yes 88 95 98 any 99 to 06 the ecm does not know if it is on a stock or high performance motor and yes the ecm is capable of 150 hp it's all about the tune not the computer it's what you tell it.
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  7. JohnnyBiker

Good. Now the throttle body. I spoke to HPI the other day and they had said that their Throttle body (58mm) flows about 360cfm. When I spoke with the chosen builder, he had said that there will be minimum porting done. He said that most porting will be done on the exhaust side. Is this 58mm going too big? Will a 55 suffice?
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

57 from kuryakyn
    Save some $ for bigger injectors

s&S IST ignition plug n play
    Auto tune included with knock sensor
    And eliminates the CPS
  9. JohnnyBiker

I should be able to use any harness and ecu from 2002-2006 correct?
  10. baggerpaul

Touring only.harness connection lengths are not the same from softail and dyna.stand alone thrayer harness is the way to go and probably has a ecm with a power vision starter map loaded you could use call and talk to him very nice guy
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  11. JohnnyBiker

Ok. Lots of great information. Thanks bud.:)
  12. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

If using a stock ECM will there be any issues with anti theft system to get ECM to actually enable fuel pump? If it reads a key code will you need a programmed key and possibly a sense ring at ignition?
  13. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Theres a lot going on with the ECM and the bike now, from 00 and up to now it's gone from a single flat box under the side panel to BCM, ECM, etc and the electrical system is completely different after 14.

JMO do a spreadsheet layout the costs of the EFI parts compared to keeping it carb, and the labor to convert.

Did an EFI convert from a MM system to Carb, there are a ton of wires that don't
    need to be used and must be cut out of the harness, to go Carb to EFI you'll need a new harness with all the connectors, sensors, etc, and that add clutter as well, ie where ya gonna hide all those wires.

When I did my 124 I left it carb and went with the SNS IST ignition, it's a self learning ignition with a knock sensor and it eliminates the CPS, all of this is an advantage, and in the end I doubt you'll find the EFI runs any stronger than a good carb setup,

I know I saw a lot of big inch EFI boys in my mirrors never up front...
  14. JohnnyBiker

There are harnesses out there that eliminate unnecessary wires. Going to EFI is something that I have wanted to do for a while now. I like carbs too, but it's time to move on to EFI.
  15. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Are you going to get a stock EFI wiring harness ?? I remember when cowboy switched his delphi '03 cop bike to carb ,still have the dog ears in the parts book,lol..both the EFI harness(70233-02) and ignition circuit both had the same plug to fit in main harness so it was unplug one then plug in the other one and route accordingly :)...Or is there a complete aftermarket set up you're looking at??
  16. JohnnyBiker

I have looked or am looking at 3 different harnesses. One is from Harley, the other is from S&S and the other is from Dan Thayer.

From off the forum conversations with BaggerPaul, the Harley harness will have wires involved that will be useless to me or are deemed unnecessary. Not my favorite option at this point. I looked into S&S a while ago but have forgoten the kits contents, it is still in play for now. I just emailed Dan Thayer to inquire about his kit. On his web site he advertises that all unnecessary wires have been eliminated. Once I speak with him then I will make my decision.

Cowboy's conversion is a he'll of a lot less daunting than going to EFI.
  17. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Yeah cowboys conversion to carb was a hell of a lot simpler than going carb to EFI...His conversion from Delphi to carb was even easier than going MM injection to carb.
    Didn't realize the other injected systems used less components than HD,but I also thought cowboy may have an EFI harness he has no need for anymore and you're looking for one....Don't know how expensive S&S or Thayer's wiring kits cost,but that Harley one ain't cheap....
  18. JohnnyBiker

The wiring harness from HARLEY seems to have a lot of useless wiring. You aren't kidding about the expense of those harnesses from the MoCo either. I did price one out and the harness was damn near $700. The ECU was almost $400.

I did call cowboy and asked if he by chance still had his stuff but to no avail.
  19. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Yea ask cowboy how well his bike ran after he went from EFI to carbed ?

If I remember right he had problems with it.
  20. JohnnyBiker

My bike was not equipped with a security system so this doesn't come into play for me. After that, I have no idea. :(