1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Eh, oh, way to go, Ohio?

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by Red Rider, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Dough!
    [​IMG]
  2. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say stupid, I reserve that for folk that know better and do it anyway. When I was young and ignorant, I did a lot of things that were not the best way of doing things. But I will say too many people today are trusting of systems - including this internet thingy, which has changed a WHOLE lot over the years - and systems can fail folk in ways they don't even want to imagine. Ignorance truly is bliss, but that is also what a fawn feels in a meadow right before a puma sinks it's teeth into it's neck.

Sent from my desktop computer using my own friggin' fingers....duh, like anyone really cares! Screw iwhatever-the-crap!
    :cheers:

P.S. Why are the extended smilies taking sooooo long to load? Is it just my link-up?
  3. Red Rider

OK, so now the Ohio trip is back on, and at a reasonable pace. Think I'll ride into West Virginia, too, as it is one of the last 4 states I'd never visited. Not a full tour, but just a little bit of the NW side of WV. Plan to go back home through a northern track.
  4. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

What was wrong with your trip out Ohio in the first place?:confused: Have good northern trip.
  5. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Have a great ride Red rider.

If you get to The Columbus Ohio area and need help with your bike for what ever reason, call/contact AD Farrows in Sudburry, just a smidge south of Columbus(80miles+-) and ask for JC Carver. Tell him badinfluence sent you. Or contact me here and I will preface the contact. If you are closer to Columbus I'd still call as there are 3 AD Farrow HD's franchises. One in Columbus, Pataskala and Sudbury.

Jealous.

And if you do head thru Colorado I highly reccomend the areas..Wolf Creek Pass and st rt 550 between Durango and Montrose. Memorable and breath taking.
  6. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Most interstates are 70mph and 75 MPH it seemed like in Iowa. Still if anyone can do 900 miles a day consistantly my hats off to 'em. Thats a mucho and epic grind.

I'm a 7-8am to 4-5pm a day rider when on the road. Like a job except on a bike. That averages roughly 450-500+ miles a day and I am plenty tired, happy to see the air conditioned hotel room with a bed and shower at the end of that day. Spouse is usually chomping at the bits to go out and about, I prefer to order in as oposed to eating out.
  7. Red Rider

badinfluence63, thanks for the info.

I'm looking at crossing Colorado on Hwy 40 this time, as I've been through the southern and central routes before. Planning on making it to Craig for my first stop, just shy of 800 miles and what should be about 12 hours of saddle time. Then I'll likely take 40 through Steamboat Springs down to I-70, as I have my next stop near Lamar.

I need help with my next stop after Lamar area. I'm looking for a place within 100 miles of Saint Louis, MO, that is on the path to Columbus and nice. I've been on I-44 before, visiting Army base FT Leonard Wood, but not so familiar with the Illinois side or the other western approaches. Recs?
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I kan tell ya not to stop for the night in East St Louis
    not a good area, find a place out by the 270 by-pass
    so you have a good clean room and safe place to park the bike

Even further back is Rolla which is a small town,

Once you get downtown and like any big city it's more money to
    find a decent place and easy to find the wrong place on the wrong exit....
  9. Red Rider

Been to Rolla, as that is off I44. And being a moderately aware individual, I do know about East St Louis. Seems like a good sight for the real Rolling Thunder.

Looks like I may be coming in west via I70, so that is from where I figure to bivouac from. Again, any good info would be welcome.
  10. Red Rider

Head East

Well, I'm heading out in a few minutes. First stop: somewhere east of here! Want to be in Ohio by Friday, have to be by Saturday. No other schedule until I leave there, just the way I like it. Taking HWY 50 to Utah, not sure after that.

JB/HR, I'll call you in a few days, but would it be better if I hit MN closer to the weekend of the 16-18th, or even over it?
    :cheers:
  11. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Enjoy the ride & ride safe ,pics if you can :D
  12. Red Rider

In Kansas today. Tried to make another 600 miles, but the rain stopped me just shy. It hurts at 80MPH! Started out cold, got darn hot, ended up wet. So Ol' Red was rode hard and put away wet - fitting, I guess. Still, a good, long run.

No pics - didn't even bring a camera. But the scenery is beautiful...hope you all get a chance to ride it.

Now I have to get the weather reports for tomorrow....out.
  13. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like a good but hard ride , & just under 600 not a bad day's ride either , Enjoy the rest of the ride :cool:
  14. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

F Troop,,The Heckowees..As in where the heck aw we. :roflmao:
  15. hotroadking

Where in Kans-azz, you need to roll up to Concordia and See my buddy Phill owner of California Phils motorcycle shop.

www.harleypartscheap.com

If you get in a bind, need a tire, oil, some AC, or a butt break he's a great guy..

California Phils
    902 Lincoln Street
    Concordia, KS 66901
    (785) 243-9991
  16. Red Rider

OK, so I got into West Virginia and then into a Redneck Heaven in Ohio. Had no cell or internet there, so been incommunicado for awhile, partyingfor three straight days (and feelin' my age). Now in Wisconsin and heading to Johnny Biker's place tomorrow. Expect to be there in the afternoon.

Cowboy, I been picking up chips for ya. Still want 'em? Got at least 3. Still have room?

Wandering is fun, but I sure do like my dry Nevada home. Maybe next week?

Cheers!
  17. Red Rider

Guess I totally lost the context.....huh?

Can't wait to hit the road tomorrow. Done with WI.

PS. This new format sucks.
  18. hotroadking

Ahh yer just an old fart set in yer ways LOL

Have a safe ride!
  19. Red Rider

You nailed it, HRK!

As to the ride, it was safe....well, other than me going over a curb I thought was a driveway, breaking my kickstand spring.

So Part 1 of things I learned along the way:

My target was 600 miles a day. I hit 700 twice, and 471 once (weather shut me down early in KS). Otherwise, it was 600 plus, except for one 590-something day. That was over 9 traveling days. JB & HR and I did a 200+ ride on one of my "off" days. 600 miles is a good target in the summer, at least for me. 500 might be better for planning purposes next wander, but I really did not have too much problem with the 600 goal. I don't like to travel in the dark (not much to see, and deer are a problem), so it was daylight riding. Tip #1: when riding east to west, leave at dawn - riding into a setting sun sucks. Opposite applies going east - let the sun rise a bit before hitting the road.

Packing: For a two week trip, I packed light, just one pair of jeans besides the ones I was wearing. Packed 3 wool socks and wore 'em for at least 3 days before changing. Used foot powder to freshen them and was fine. Packed nine total shirts (counting ones I bought along the way) and it was one more than I needed. Ibuprofen and 5 Hour Energy drinks kept me good in the saddle, when I was smart enough to use 'em. Had laundry done halfway through the trip, and so I didn't offend too many with my scent.

More later..........
  20. Red Rider

Nevermind. I give up. Those that ride will, those that don't, won't. Maybe they'll read about it and tell others what they almost did. Arrrgh........thank God for Irish Whiskey! And rum. and beer.