1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Engine not "streetable"?

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by The Tourist, Oct 29, 2010.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Well I agree with most that has been posted, but I think that we are jumping to conclusions about what H-D's intent is, the truth is, none of us know. it is just like anything, I will speculate that right now they are testing the market to see what people want and how bad they want it? It costs a company way more money to build a large number of something, put into the field and then it falls flat on their face. H-D is just conducting market research. If they are putting this motor out now, that means that they have been working on it for what, three years min.?
  2. JohnnyBiker

Man if HD came out with a Sportster with the nostalgic look again, I would be so there to get one. Here is where I think the problem is, most people want all of the goodies on their bike. Things like ABS, Cruise Control, GPS and other things like that fuel injection shiiit. KInd of hard to have a nostalgic bike with all of that crap on it.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

EFI is what you'll get though no matter what with Unka Sam's EPA...

I like the 48 and the new Iron Low...

Attached Files:

4. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned A-Hole

That's a new one to me. I know that there is an 883 model called the "Superlow," but I didn't know that the Iron would be offered in that configuration, as well.

I have owned my Sportster 48 now for one riding season, and to date I have 6,000 miles on it. I love the bike, but not the limited fuel capacity or the seat.

The seat will be replaced. I found the money. With two bikes--and one of them a full custom--I was feeling guilty in spending additional money on something just for comfort. After all, my entire reason for buying the 48 was due to a windfall that did not hurt our household budget and the low cost of running the little thing.

I will admit to this. While I love Betty, I'm wondering if I might be better served with a Nightster with the addition of a few mods and some bling. I lost almost 70 pounds this year by changing my gym routine, and longer distances are just not in the picture for a while. With the Nightster's larger tank, a little engine work and better shocks I could do everything I need to do.

In fact, a bike like the 1200 Low would do the job, although I think it looks cobby. I like the traditional shaped Sportster tank.
  5. JohnnyBiker

I guess I don't like the newer styling all that much period. Even though I have just completed my first year of riding, I like the older look, like the Cross-Bones. That is why I am thinking of putting a springer on WhipLash! :cool:
  6. The Tourist

Ride one first.

The factory springer is a bit pricey, and the ones from antiques and junkyards ride a tad rough--or at least not like traditional forks. You might not like the ride.

Frankly, I didn't like the ride on my Dyna. So I braced myself, risked the abject wrath of my wife and bought a CVO Inverted fork.

Now granted, it's the best investment I made for Betty. She rides good now, and even the progressives were a blessing.

But I'm the kind of guy who puts more money into quality suspension parts than I do engine mods and bling, although I'm a sucker for that stuff, as well.

I do like the profile of the Sportster 48. And I was concerned that the larger front wheel and tire would bother me. However, the bike handles well and I got used to the looks. Now the 'skinny' front tires on Sportsters look odd to me!

I haven't ridden a newer CVO softie with the springer. Who knows, perrhaps the modern dampening unit has tamed the ride quality. But I still think you should ride one first.
  7. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

That is why I love my 01 Springer, old style look and love the ride.
  8. hotroadking

Love the springer front end.
    Never had too much problem with the ones I rode

Felt heavy at low speeds in parking lots about it...
  9. JohnnyBiker

I get what you are saying, however through my first season, I have been on a lot of different bikes. I have ridden street glides, customs, softail customs, heritages, fat boys etc. None of those stick in my mind like how the Cross Bones does. The ride was like no other.

Bling for me is cool, but not my top priority. First I want a reliable engine that makes good power that is suitable for my riding style. Then I am looking for something as far as cosmetics of the bike that are unique, not only to me, but something that is not "cookie cutter." That is why I went the direction with my bike that I did.. The springer that I want on my bike is for functionality first, looks second. The unique thing about springers is that you get those two things all in one, plus, it is unique to see a non bobber Sportster sporting a springer, in fact, I have never seen any Sportster with a springer on it. Not saying that they do not exist, it just is not mainstream. Which draws me in.
  10. The Tourist

My Sportster 48 is primarily for cheap transportation. It allows me to park my F-150 and its V-8 and still get to see clients and go to the gym.

The only way I would customize a Sportster (now) is if I had a lot of unneeded money, and I don't see that happening for quite a while. I'll have winter bills at my dealer just for tune-ups and storage. I just finished a deal today to buy a new seat for the 48.

Circling back to the purpose of the thread, I believe that I'm in a common quandry. Lots of guys love their Harleys, but we don't need to push a full dress touring bike out to buy a dozen eggs. I have always said that I couldn't understand why there isn't a "Sportster-Glide." In other words, a bike in between a Sportster and a Dyna.

(Sportster lines, a tad heavier, better suspension and a bigger motor.)

To me the Super Glides, while more functional, are simply Electra-Glides without the saddlebags.
  11. hotroadking

wouldn't that be the Veeee Rod?
  12. The Tourist

LOL. No, a V-Rod is a Yamaha made by Porsche.:D

I guess my problem is that I do not ride a 48 as MoCo assumed I would. I actually ride mine. That means I ride it on highways, the slab, and even for multiple tanks of gasoline. You know, like a real motorcycle.

For my money, Harley makes Sportsters and Electra Glides. Then they just mix and match the parts.

All those CAD computers and they cannot re-configure a Sportster in a scale 10% bigger?
  13. JohnnyBiker

Aren't the frames on the Dyna's about 10% bigger that the Sporty"s?The Dyna's really are not that much bigger than than the Sportster, just add a bigger tank and couple odds and ends and presto, a Sportster becomes a Dyna.
  14. The Tourist

Originally, that's what I thought. It's the reason I've bought almost a dozen Super Glides.

The problem for me was always just the weight of the entire drive-line. It was built--and that also means the original ratio of the gears--for the Electra Glide.

Now granted, the transmissions we know now are better, but I've been a Super Glide owner since 1971. The biggest concession now to weight distribution is the use of alloy engines.

The problem with Super Glides is simply complexity. They just don't know when to quit with the creature comforts, the extra fuel capacity, and heavier everything.

Most metric companies have a distinct model for every bump in engine displacement by 100cc. That is, a 350 is not a smaller 450. It's a different bike.

But not Harley. They have no "middle bike." I'm about 6 foot tall. For me the forward controls are simply in the right place. Granted, Americans are getting bigger, but the roots of the Sportster are on a flat-track. I just want a "non Electra Glide."

Is that what we want to settle for? Let's face it, we are only getting a flat-tracker with an electric starter or a GoldWing that shakes. I'd like to see a little creativity.
  15. fxdxriderleo

fxdxriderleo Active Member

Harley is a very conservitive company. They started that way. Almost everytime they tried something other than the basic models they lost big time. The one radical thing that worked is the Vrod. They tried mid sized and small bikes. All failed because they weren't traditional Harley's.
    Tradition is very important to Harley. Thats why if you look at the early bikes and the recent bikes, you can see the bloodline runs true.
    If you think the metrics are doing things better then go metric.
    I ride both, with the metrics you get just a bike. With a Harley you get the bike and a family, a link to American history.
    Did the metric bikes help build this country, help fight our wars, police our streets, deliver our mail.
  16. The Tourist

The problem here is that the individual bikes are far too specialized. I am now of the age where many of my friends are doing the same thing--we have become multi-Harley families. Lots of guys now have an Electra Glide and a Dyna, and their wife might have a Sportster that they also ride.

Is this really the answer to the problem?

You mention metrics. Fair enough. I don't know a lot of guys who have three or four Hondas in their garage. Maybe a road bike and a dedicated trails bike, but that's about it.

After owning both bikes for the past year, I can assure you that a Dyna is not a "big Sportster." It's a small Electra Glide, and I've spent a bit to refine the suspension from there.

Yes, Harley is conservative. But when the average age of their clients is 47, they have no fall-back plan. If they had hoped that the V-Rod and the XR1200X would be recognized as a domestic sport bikes, they were wrong.

To circle back to my point about the 120R engine, why not put this R/D money into a better Sportster? Not all of us need an 800 pound geezer glide with surround-sound to get a loaf of bread. I am encouraged by things like the 1200 Low, and wonder why MoCo hasn't gotten behind that idea with a better engine and suspension.
  17. hotroadking

More bikes , youbetcha! LOL

I have two, would have three, and might, found a project cafe racer 73 Honda 550 in need of a pickup bed for $150...

Need a 76 FL Shovel to restore and ride.

Everyone needs a flathead, been looking

Probably pick up a 78 GS400 (First bike)

Lotsacool iron,, now I just need to get that home gym out
    of the garage .....
  18. The Tourist

In a perfect world, I'd have a dozen.;)

In fact, if this 120R was available and I had the bucks, I'd find a way to slip it in Black Betty.

But the one thing that I have found is that the more complex a bike becomes the less it is ridden. There were times when I went out to the garage to take a spin and had to decide if I wanted to muscle Betty 180 degrees around to the door and empty my wallet to enjoy the sun.

And more and more I took out the girlie bike. (And I had more fun.)

I don't understand the 120R at its base development. The last time I saw a Harley drag race it was by the US Army who races a promotional V-Rod. I haven't seen a big-twin race in decades.

If I cannot get a 120R crate motor, and if most of Harley's line of products is too expensive, heavy, and complex for the 95% of my driving, just what are they trying to accomplish?

Could it be as simple as the old canard "Race on Sunday, sell on Monday"?
  19. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Screamin’ Eagle® pro SE 20R High-
    Performance Crate Motor
    This track-ready 120 cubic inch Screamin’ E agle® Crate Motor
    is waiting to provide a racing enthusiast the opportunity to
    go racing at an affordable price. This engine is designed for
    bolt-in installation in the Original Equipment-style chassis
    of your track bike. No special fabrication or engine-mount
    relocation is required. The crankcase, cylinders and heads
    are painted black, and feature machined aluminum highlights
    and chrome covers for a stunning “show-and-go” look.
    When equipped with appropriate high-flow throttle body
    and injectors, an open air induction, and tuned exhaust, this
    engine is capable of producing a reliable 135+ horsepower
    at the rear wheel.
    Hand assembled alongside Harley-Davidson’s production
    Twin Cam engines at the Pilgrim Road Engine Plant in
    Milwaukee, these race-use engines feature only the finest
    Screamin’ Eagle components:
    • 4.060" big-bore cylinders.
    • 4-5/8" stroke premium forged flywheels.
    • 10.5:1 high-compression nickel-plated forged pistons with
    T eflon coated skirts.
    • Titanium SST piston rings.
    • SE-266E high-lift cams.
    • Perfect Fit push rods +.030.
    • SE high-performance lifters.
    • CNC-ported MVA heads with automatic
    compression release.
    • Machined lower rocker boxes for valve
    spring collar clearance.
    • Factory-machined engine cases.
    • Unique piston oilers for stroker clearances.
    • Screamin’ Eagle inner crankcase cam needle bearings.
    • Lefty high-performance crankcase output bearing.
    • High-performance torque response engine compensator.
    • SE Performance Spark Plugs.
    For race application only.
  20. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

This is a Race engine, it comes with no throttle body or nothin.
    This engine probaly don't have a long life, meaning it ain't going to be reliably for a long time before yer gonna have to start workin on it.