1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Engine Rattle/chatter V-Twin 03 FLHT

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by mr_foots, Jul 17, 2004.

1. mr_foots

mr_foots New Member

Hi folks,

I'm new to HD and trying to learn the important noises. Someone told me it was normal for the V-twin in a FLHT to rattle or chatter around 2100-2500 rpm and especially when it is hot outside. I’m running 93 oct gas. Some of you more experienced HD owner may shed some light on this? 2003 model.
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

No it's not normal, when are you seeing this, in 5th gear and rolling from 50 to 60 mph?

You should down shift at those low rpms with a V-twin then get the revs up.

If it does it at that rpm in all gears you may have a intake leak or poor fuel delivery.

What's been done to the bike is it stock?
  3. mr_foots

mr_foots New Member

Engine Rattle

Bike has 4800 miles. I bought it w/ 4100 on it. Stock mufflers but it sounds like baffles have been remove (if that is correct verbiage). It seem to make noise in all gears at the same RPM. It is more pronounced in hot weather. Local Harley dealer says it’s normal, but I can’t believe it.
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Let the bike warm up and on the sidestand then get the RPM's up to 2500 and listen, the motors not under load at that point and may response without noise, however what you might be hearing is something loose so you'll be able to find it, you can lock the throttle open with the thumb screw and look for a loose exhaust cover, floorboard etc.
  5. mr_foots

mr_foots New Member

Engine Rattle

Thank you so much for suggesting some things I can look at. God bless.
  6. HD DOC FL

HD DOC FL New Member

If I Were You I Would Check You Primary Chain For Slap,adjust To Manual Specs. If That Doesnt Work Check The Compensating Bolt, Theres Been A Lot Of Them Backing Off.
  7. Seahag

Seahag New Member

Alright, See you're already learning. First and foremost don't trust most stealers...I meant dealers ;) . I've heard so many bad things about dealer service departments not standing behind their own work and experienced a little bit to boot... Heres a big tip for ya. Get a decent set of tools and the Harley service manual and do your own work. Most of the stuff is not that difficult for maintenance at all and even engine tear down is a piece of cake if you've got rudimentary skills with a wrench. I'm speaking from experience here too. I've worked on bicycles and lawnmowers and little bits on cars and such but until a few years ago I hadn't even sat on a Harley (too many uptight owners) and since last winter I've done three top end jobs and this winter I'm tackling gear drive cams...plus I do all my maintenance. Its not very hard if you have good reading comprehension skills. The only way I'd let someone else do my work now is if 1. I got a big paying job in which I finally had more money than time...and 2. I'd still have to find a shop who is trustworthy...which can take some time. Good luck with your first Harley. :)
  8. Grease Gun

Grease Gun New Member

at 2100 rpms you may just be lugging the motor. Does the noise go away at a normal cruising rpm? Dont be afraid to run the TC at a higher rpm. They dont really lope like the shovels and evos did.