1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Engine Temp Sensor

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by 08XModel, Mar 29, 2009.

1. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

please let your bike warm up before ya take to the road.....the metals need to expand and settle in before they are stressed. a lot of gaskets and parts are replaced if this is not done.....warpage...........
  2. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Thought I posted this yesterday.

As far as whats better carb or EFI anybody that says a carb probably still wants to pull thier electronic ignition and put points back in, Forgit THAT!

Delphi EFI kicks ass over a carb, better milage, better performance, MUCH more tunable, total reliablity, starts everytime without touching the throttle, adjusts to altitude WAY better than any carb ever dreamed of.

Now to answer cardboards ramblings one by one to the best of my ability

38mpg with efi, your tune IS NOT RIGHT, Dalton can get close to 50mpg with a 120!

What do you mean EFI will "wear out"? The only moving part is the throttle plate/shaft (just like on a carb) and the injectors, the rest is all electronics and since carb bikes have had almost as many electronics as efi for a long time what makes them "more reliable"

CARB ICM
    EFI ECM
    CARB MAP SENSOR
    EFI MAP SENSOR
    CARB CRANK POSITION SENSOR
    EFI CRANK POSITION SENSOR
    CARB BARO METER/TIP SENSOR
    EFI INTAKE AIR TEMP, TIP SENSOR (TSSM)
    CARB VACUMM OPERATED PETCOCK
    EFI FUEL PUMP (I'VE SEEN WAY MORE PETCOCKS FAIL THAN FUEL PUMPS)
    CARB SINCE 2004 ALL ENGINE MANAGMENT SYSTEMS ON A J1850 BUSS LINE (SPEEDO,TACH,TSSM,ICM) TALKING TO EACH OTHER 5 TIMES A SECOND
    EFI SAME (SINCE 2002)
    EFI ADDS A THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR AND AN IDLE AIR CONTROL MOTOR (I HAVE NOT SEEN THESE HAVE A PROBLEM SINCE DELPHI WAS INTRODUCED)

Unless your carbed bike was built prior to 1999 its almost as electronic as EFI. The difference is your using 100 year old technology to get the fuel to the cylinder instead of a highly atomized mixture your getting some atomized and some wet liquid fuel dribbleing in at the bottom of the intake.

Does EFI cost more in the end? YES
    Is it harder to work on? Depends on who you are! A lot of people can realy **** up a carb, so they probably wont get with it on EFI. EFI is easy for me and lost on the other 9 techs in my shop. Two of them can fake thier way through it but usually not that well!
    Can you fix EFI on the side of the road? No need they dont fail as designed. Throw Screwed up parts at it (Big Shot,Fuel Pack, Techlusion,IED's, etc) and its gonna screw up. Use quality parts that aren't designed to "get around" the system and everything will be A OK!

If I had the bones I would build an EFI Pan Head just to jack with people!
  3. fujimo

fujimo New Member

wear out

i am only telling you what dealer mechanic said,,,,efi WILL wear out,,,but guess you kno better than them,,,as far as best person to tune bike,,,mine was done by greg cohn,,,who has a 5 ft trophy for most horse power produced by a 88,,,in these united states,,,, also had it tuned by latus,,,who if you ask flht,,,will tell you how great they are,,, and i could care less about your shop or any other,,,if you break dow on road ,,,efi,,,related,,,you will get towed,,,,happens,,,bought new ultra in 02,,,,made it 50 miles and computer sh000t on me,,,waited for dealer to come with tow,,,than waited for 2 hrs for sister to come and get me,,,than had to go back to dealer 2 hrs,,,and back home two hrs,,,THEY DO CRASH,,,,preferance my man,,stick with your eeeeelectric motorcycle,,,the day will come when you eventually go on a ride out of texas and have a problem,,,,pops
  4. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

The dude that said what I posted, builds bikes out of his spare time.
    Went to MMI and works at a Harley dealer in Idaho, he is the Dyno man there. He turns wrenchs at the dealership fixing all HD bikes everyday he goes to work.
    He does all the factory warranty work. He changes oil and everything.

If he doesn't know what's going on along with what I know I'm not going to ask for no more proof.
    He knows every piece to a bike and how to dyno them.
    He knows which pipes will work on a engine and which ones will not dyno out good too. He sees the parts that comein broke and can look at where they broke. He gits to see what harley will cover under warranty. He knows which parts will work on the bike best.
    If you have ever had a manual and broke down a carbuerator and seen how many parts there is, and had a Throttle Body off and in yer hands and seen the parts , you would see how simple the TB is. There's nothin but a butterfly and 2 fuel injectors to worry with along with a couple sensors that don't hardly give any problems . So whats gonna wear out.
    If yer lookin for guarantees, HD sells them.
    He has 2 bikes he rides to work and everywhere.:cool:
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

EFI has been around for years,
    Used by the Germans in WWII in the ME109 fighter to allow the plane to fly inverted and pull big G's without stalling

Carb planes couldn't do that.

50's Chebby's rand EFI, people pulled the units thinking a carb was better,
    now an EFI 57 Vette brings big money.

Nothing is carbed anymore, the control of fuel is too loose, with EFI you get to make tiny adjustments anywhere you need, for either power or fuel mileage, a carb is a compromise.

I have a carb softail, love it, fun

I have the EFI RG, love it, fun

Both are easy to tune.

Ignitions can go out on either one and leave you stranded...

the only thing we have to fear, is fear itself
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  6. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Here is a little more information about my dilemma. Being my EVO is 11 years old, I have found out the many parts are not available from the dealer anymore. They are phasing them out. So if the ECU goes out and I can't get one from the stealer, then every part of the EFI is worthless. So, with that in mind I am better off with carb since those aftermarket parts my be cheaper and easier to get. They seem to keeping making a lot of those. Of course I could convert it all to Thundermax for $1,800.00.

I guess it is reasonable to say that getting parts for anything 10 years old or older is going to be a chore.
  7. chucktx

hehehehe.....try taking a 44 year old harley to the dealer for service......the dude behind the counter asks.....what is it???

yup, aftermarket is the only place to find vintage parts.....
  8. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

:roflmao:

For some reason that reminded me of the first Buick model ever made. It was a single cylinder. I saw it at the Lansing, MI Buick Museum years ago. The tool box that came standard with the car had a piece of lead and a main bearing mold. So you could sit on the side of the road, start a fire, melt the tin, and pour it into the bearing mold. Then replace the main bearing. Apparently they don't last long in those cars :roflmao:

That's about where your at, huh Chuck ?:D
  9. fujimo

fujimo New Member

understand

cardboard,,,understand,,,i am 69 years old,,,i HAVE HAD carbs in my hand ,,,without manual,,, when i was only 16,,,, i have more than one bike,,i ride around 30000 ,, miles a year i overhaul my own,,, and just fixed a sensor,,,oh jeez you said they never go out,,,on a 05 ultra,,,, so they do or they wouldnt make any ,,,, if great mech ,,,dyno guy,,, is in idaho,,,it amazes me that i was at latus in portland last year and there wer two guys from idaho came to latus to get dynoed,,,as they claimed latus mech was best this side of miss,,,, but mechs are like carbs or efi,,,, preference,,, and like i said before cohn has a 5 ft trophy says he is the best in u.s.,,,, do you or idaho,,, show me a dyno of a 95 inch that is efi,,,and does 103,,,103,,,which my carb does and i will shut up,,,,pops
  10. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I was going to keep my nose out of this , but cant :D
    A while back the wife & I took a ride & after about 75 miles stoped & had a cup of coffee , after about 1 hr came out & started the efi E glide (03) & the idel went up to around 2K it's set at 1k dynoed , had to shut it off check a few things cables & such had the wife get on & started it in gear & off we went , took it to my indy who dynoed it they couldent seee what was wrong read all the manual , so I took the efi off & benched it for a closer look took the butterfly off & found the shaft that holds it was broke right where a screw goes no fixing it HD noe anyone else just the shaft a striped efi delfi unit is about 300 bucks from HD only , I got lucky & found a guy who was building a bike & he sold me the whole unite ready to go for 175 with shipping I had a post on this a while back , yes efi will go out but I love it warm up & ride easy start & no choke maybe down the road I will do as Tom is doing & change over for the same reason my 66 Dodge truck is had to get stock parts for so I know the 03 will be there some day :eek:
  11. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

If it's got wheels or tits
    sooner or later
    its gonna be a problem...
  12. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

Just think. One little engine temp sensor started this whole thread.
  13. chucktx

yup!!! i am fortunate to have over 40 years of working on this stuff, and a shop to do it in. that is why i take my trucks and cars to indys for repair...they are efi and computer controled. my bikes stay here.....all carbed...
  14. Mayor

Mayor New Member

Undecited on all the other things said........but, what you said about about wheels and tits is the most postive quote in this thread!!!!:roflmao: :roflmao: