1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Engine Temp

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by panhead, Jul 5, 2004.

1. panhead

panhead New Member

I have a new rev tech pandemonium panhead engine. I know my oil can run as hot as 250-260 deg. BUT how hot can the engine actually get. Kinda concerned, engine is running about 360 at the jug when measured with a laser temp tool. Brand new engine, dont want to blow it up!!!
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2004
  2. fatboyvtwin

fatboyvtwin New Member

The inside oil tempeture is what really measures the life of the motor. The lower this runs in tempeture the longer the life of the motor. The maximum oil tempeture should not get above 290f for extended periods of time. As long as it runs below this tempeture you'll be ok. I would suggest that if you want it to run cooler, they make alot of different after market oil coolers. The more top of the line coolers will lower the oil temp about 12 to 18 degrees. Most will come with internal thermostats that will open and close at a certain tempeture. Also whether your bike is running to lean will make a bit of difference. The after market cooler that I would recommend would be Jagg or Pro 1. Hope this helped you out.Ride Safe David.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Panhead

250's pretty hot on a temp side, you're probably OK at those temps but you can get it cooler, Oil needs to get over 180 or so to work right.

If you don't want to run a cooler for looks on the pan run Castrol, Redline or Mobil 1 15W-50 Full Synthetic in the motor. It's not "too slippery" or "too anything" and the key is that the syn oils don't break down like dynos do after extended temp exposures. So it will lubricate better over time as it can withstand the extra hot temps without deteriorating like dyno does.

The result is that the syn retains it's properties like new over a longer period of time so it reduces heat. Your butt and motor will thank you over time.

Nothing wrong with Dyno, syn's just do a better job.

Oil cooler will drop the temps as well, even though a cooler won't do anything sitting at a light the oil will cool faster once you get moving.
  4. Ole Blue

Ole Blue New Member

Oil Temperatures...

I'll toss in my two cents here, although they may not be worth that much anymore.

Get yourself a good cooler. Just like auto-transmissions, if you can lower the operating temperature 25 degrees, you are supposed to double the operating life.

I'm running a pretty radical shovelhead and installed two things that I think makes a substantial difference.

One: A remote oil filter mounted in the airstream. More oil = more cooling capacity & anything in the airstream helps.

Two: I installed one of the new billett aluminum oil coolers that run along the front frame legs. Sheds heat like O.J. does responsibility ! ! !

I've been running mine a lot locally so far (only about 450 miles on the new motor) and have only managed to hit 200 degrees once on an extremely hot & humid afternoon.

Oil: There is no such thing as too slippery (wink-wink !). There is also nothing in synthetic oil which contributes to sludge or coke buildup. Run it... synthetic is your friend.

Try a few of the suggestions and monitor your oil temperature and see what works best. Certainly, you will be able to cool your oil + motor better.

Good Luck,

Blue