1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Exaust Header Stud Broken - AGAIN!

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Red Rider, Jul 2, 2018.

1. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I wasn't clear Red had adjustable pushrods, you can loosen them but you'll
    still need to find TDC to properly adjust them, close is fine ie a few degrees off
    easy way is to pull up the push rod tubes, if you don't have some mini bungies to hold the tube up then rubber bands with the big ass paper clips work, you just want to expose the pushrods so you can watch them work. Take out the plugs, disconnect battery, put in 5th or 6th gear jack it up and then rotate the rear tire.

Watch the pushrods move, once you see them hit bottom it's time to stop and do that cylinder as the pressure is off the rods. (I presumed you had stock pushrods, but even if you have adjustables, doing this eliminates having to unadjust and then readjust them...

At this point you can remove the rocker arms on that cylinder, lower cover, head,
    and bobs yer uncle.
    Red Rider likes this.
  2. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Dodged a bullet. Got the broken stud out clean in less than an hour. Miracle, as it was broken flush with the head. Sometimes good things happen. Gonna replace the scarred and burned clutch cable (on order), so not ready to roll just yet, and then get Ol' Red back on the road.

Since I got her broke down, replacing gaskets and fluids while waiting for parts, even though they aren't that bad. Figure this way I can get lots of uninterrupted riding in once she's back together. Probably not really needed $$ cost, yes, but riding time is worth, well, priceless. Got some wandering to do, still, this summer.

Thanks, JB, HRK, charlie46 and Fatboy128 for helping me gain some more knowledge. And a thanks to the Lord for making the stud extraction easy, the last one was a real PITA. If the cable comes in as expected, I could be riding Red by this weekend! :woot: Till, then, it is Suzi DR650 time. Got some scouting to do for my upcoming antelope hunt. Well, really just an excuse to be in the wind.;)

Be :cool:, if ya can. 100F degrees here today. Ya'll ride free & safe!
    Fatboy128 likes this.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Excellent news, heck you need it to get cold enough there
    to wear yer leathers while riding, you know down in the high 80's LOL
  4. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

:)
  5. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Had one minor setback, but resolved. Had to helicoil the head exhaust stud hole, as it was too stripped to hold (couldn't tell right away, wasn't bad enough). Done, and worked.

I'm pretty sure the leak from the stripped stud hole (yeah, there has gotta be a crude joke there somewhere) was long standing. After a new 1000 miles, I'll give a review...as in, later this week (got some kayaking/ATVing to do, first).

I gotta say I love these new pipes. I feel like a fool for having paid for any other 2-1 pipes, seriously. Bassani Road Rage II....sweet.