1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Exhaust upgrades for 2004 fuel injected softail

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by TxDremz, Jun 15, 2004.

1. TxDremz

TxDremz New Member

Is it nessacery (sp) to do a computer modification or a computer upgrade when removing the baffles or changing the exhaust? I have removed the baffles for now but i will be replacing the exhaust altogether soon. Seems to run just fine so far. The bike is a 2004 Softail Standard fuel injected. Exacxtly what does this computer upgrade do? Am I running a risk of damaging anything?
    Thanks!

Don
  2. cyco

cyco New Member

You should be OK if you just mess w/ the exhaust. You won't gain much except for the sound. I would go for the Stage 1 if you are looking for increase in performance. This will require an ECM flash. Or you could get a Race Tuner or PC III (or plenty of aftermarket gizmos) to re-set your ECM. If you do the Stage 1 without a reflash your bike will be too lean and this can cause burnt valves,etc.
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2004
  3. CD

CD Guest

4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

the Delphi tend to adjust to mild pipe changes if you read the literature from HD it says with SE pipes you shouldn't have to reflash, however IMHO that doesn't mean Long shots, thunderheaders, khrome werks hp+ etc.

HD's SE pipes in testing have come out to be just a bit less restrictive than stock, no where near as good as the aftermarket, that may change at some point as the aftermarket makes most of HD's se stuff anyway.

I would suggest that you go total stage 1 though because it's a blast to add power to the motor that needs it. A se filter kit and a DFO or reflash will do wonders for your bike.

Best power for the money you'll ever spend.
  5. TxDremz

TxDremz New Member

Thanks alot!
    At this point I just wanna make sure I am not gonna screw anything up with the engine.