1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Exhaust wrap

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Nov 8, 2010.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Absolutely. this way I will not have to think about it so much if I am going to fry the crap out of my leg. There are still a couple of mods that I have to do the baffles though. Either I am going to get brand new ones that are 2.25 od to fit inside the pipe or i am going to buy the same baffles that I bought and am using now and do the same thing to them as I did with the current set. HMMMM, decisions and choices. :banghead::D
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Exhaust wrap will reduce exterior temps,

Many folks get the 1 inch wrap, keep it as thinly (widely spaced) as possible
    and recover the wrap with the heat shields...

Reducing heat outside the engine will help reduce overall heat,

I still think on the right bike it's bitchin
  3. hotroadking

DEI makes some of the best stuff, you can get it at most parts stores or order
    cheaper online, Here is a link
    to the black 1 inch wrap on Summit Racing

The kits come without the SS ties, so you'll want a set

and you can get the black silicone coating that protects the wrap.. I'd suggest it...
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

and dont worry about the smoke,,,,,,,normal, especially when wet.........
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Damm hotroadking you finally posted a pic of yourself, cool and nice beard. :D
  6. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned A-Hole

Your comment here struck me. This debate started with shielding the rider from heat, and then we discussed the cosmetics.

But isn't the debate also making a commentary on the heat the engine is producing? If the bike engine is running so hot that it's uncomfortable for the rider, isn't shielding or re-directing the heat just masking the symptoms?

Before we just go adding shielding, shouldn't we look at the engine and its settings and/or construction?
  7. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

The very first thing that should be checked is to ensure that your engine is not running to lean. Lean conditions as we all know creates excess heat. However even a good running engine can produce a whole lot of heat. So heat shields and wraps do keep that heat down. I couldn't even imagine running a bike without some type of heat shielding.
  8. The Tourist

I also had my bike checked (and properly dyno tuned) to solve any problems with running lean.

I have the stock chrome heat shields covering my pipes. While I also believe in heat shielding, I suspect that these chrome covers are simply cosmetic. If you look at the headers under these covers, the pipes are deep purple.
  9. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

The heat shields do work,not purely cosmetic...the little bit of air gap between the exhaust pipe and the shield will cause the shield not to be as hot as the pipe....a simple way to confirm this is remove the heat shields and go for a ride....bet it won't take you long to put them back on;)
    The pipe wrap will keep you from burning your leg and aid in exhaust scavenge, by keeping the exhaust gases hot in the pipe and the velocity up(faster in+faster out= more power)
    Tourist, the bags of ice you see on drag cars is to cool the intake, not the engine...cool air is more dense than warm air...ever notice that bikes and cars run better when it is cool.
  10. The Tourist

Thanks for the info. I did not know that. My 1989 5.0 Mustang is long gone. I foolishly sold it.

I do often wonder why a complete re-design of our CPU engine management systems might be a better idea.

For example, look at the way some folks look at helmets. They want the best possible chance to survive a crash when classes on how to avoid incidents might be better.

I think that's a factor here. A few years ago I saw a plastic appliance MoCo was selling to re-direct heat. It was sort of a butterfly shaped gizmo that kept excessive engine heat off of the thighs of the newer Electra Glide owners. Yes, it was an answer, and my guess is this stemmed from trying to hit EPA numbers.

But I also would have had a computer geek re-designing a better computer download.
  11. hotroadking

There are some neat new tuning products coming out
    Wait till you see the new Powercommander module with LED screen you mount
    on the bars and you can self tune while you ride.

TTS has new stuff on the way too.

You are correct that the proper way to get rid of heat
    is a proper tune, however wrapped pipes will help as well
    while doing it without tuning is a Mask, it's better than
    nothing (really ride a bike with no covers be sure to wear asbestos pants)

And it's about style too...
  12. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

MoCo got it pretty tough to meet EPA requirements and keep an air cooled engine cool...the engines are getting bigger and they gotta run 'em leaner so the heat has to go up...add some fuel to cool them and they don't meet EPA, there is only so much you can do with fuel and timing to keep them running decent and not melt and meet the EPA without adding a water jacket so they came up with a band aid fix to try to keep the excessive heat away from the rider.
    Classes on how to avoid incidents would definitely help lessen the chance of needing a quality helmet but not eliminate all of them so a good quality helmet will increase the chance of survival when a situation arises that all the skill in the world ain't gonna get you outta
  13. hotroadking

Part of the problem for the heat isn't that the engine is running that much hotter
    vis a vis an Evo or Shovel as compared to a 96 or 103 twincam, but that the
    MoCo has made the cyl fin area larger to release more heat, because they must
    run the engines so lean to meet Obama Standards (yeah I know it's EPA but he's blaming Bush all the time so I'm blaming his azz for everything)

So to overcome this you have to do one of two things.

1) Add on a power tuning device - Powercommander and make the ECM work different to add fuel, pull timing, change rev limiter etc
    2) use a programming software tool - TTS Mastertune and make changes to the maps within the ECM (nothing is wrong with the ECM it just needs it's factors on the map changed)
    3) Replace the whole system with a third party system (Thundermax)
  14. JohnnyBiker

I think you are misunderstanding the purpose of why I want the wrap or am exploring it. The reason why I want the wrap has nothing to do with the heat from which my bike is producing. What heat? I have no issues with that at all. The problem that I am having is that my front header pipe sticks out a ways and does not allow me to bring my leg in closer to the bike so I can be a little more comfortable and the pipe being out as far as it is does not allow me quick access to my brake pedal. When braking, I have to be somewhat pigeon toed while braking. This is a safety issue for me. I have considered getting a new pedal made because I am somewhat reluctant to put a new set of pipes on WhipLash, but I will if I cannot find a satisfactory solution to my problem. I want to be on my bike and not have to worry about losing skin or ruining a $300 pair of chaps. This is where the performance of the wrap is also discussed. Most of us on the forum are performance junkie's and are always looking to make our ride run more efficiently, performance is not just limited to horsepower or torque.

HotRoadKing is basically responding to the objection that someone rose to fact that wrapping the exhaust does not improve performance. I appreciate it a lot that he does this because it gives me the opportunity to make a better informed decision.
  15. JohnnyBiker

Spot on the Point Brotha!!!!:cool:
  16. JohnnyBiker

This is one of the area's that I noticed instantly other than performance of my bike when I put the high hp stuff on my bike. Since the SE heads have such big fins, I noticed right away that WhipLash runs a lot cooer than before. Now all I need to do is put the SE jugs on as well!!
  17. The Tourist

Is this a stock Harley pipe? Perhaps that's the misunderstannding.
  18. JohnnyBiker

No. Check this out.

Attached Files:

• 177.JPG
      177.JPG
      File size:
      50.1 KB
      Views:
  19. JohnnyBiker

These are pictures of how my pipes are.

Attached Files:

20. JohnnyBiker

Here check this link out so you can get a good idea of just how much the pipe sticks out.

YouTube - S7300053.AVI