1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Exhaust wrap

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Nov 8, 2010.

1. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned A-Hole

Ahh, I understand now.
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Yeah I like the looks of my bike a lot with those pipes, that is why I am looking for ways to keep them. I think the wrap is the best way to go for that. :)
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

will it get monday nite football also????????
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

5. The Tourist

The problem with these DIY products is that you have to know what the frak you're doing--and I do not.

Besides, when I go for a ride it's to go for a ride, not re-program a computer or to make sure I have enough cyber friends.

(Look, I don't even understand SOA. For some unknown reason a bike club has found a time portal and jumped from 1968 to the present time. In passing through the disco era they have all become sensitive metrosexuals.)

Don't laugh. I had to ask my wrench if my new Sportster seat would crush the electronics under my butt. He smiled and said that thing was fixed two years ago. Yikes, I have to start reading those service bulletins. I wasted a whole afternoon once thinking that my kick starter pedal had fallen off my bike...:D
  6. JohnnyBiker

TT, there is no shame in not knowing these things. When you asked your wrench that question you knew something was not correct and you wanted to know if there was going to be an issue. As far as jumping from 1968-present, I am not sure what that means. Most people want to know about their bike as much as possible and want their bike to run as well as possible, me included. I would have to agree with you in the aspect of your point that when I get on my bike for a ride, I too want to be riding and not fooling with crapola like that.

My opinion is that I call it technology addiction. This may sound foolish but it does exist. I also think that DYI people are very talented people and do not have to spend money where to those who are not DYI's do.
  7. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Technology is good as long as you know how to use it. I just stepped up and purchased a Infrared Camera for the business. Now I am putting out 2,000 for a training class next week that lasts all week so I can know how to use it and what it's saying when I do use it.
  8. JohnnyBiker

Technology is a good thing but it can also be destructive. I know a guy who spends almost all of his time in the world reading about technology. How boring!!! In your case it is going to help you make money. I am talking about the technology that people are addicted to like mobil phones, computers, internet etc. That stuff can be very unhealthy.
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

dude are you going on a pot growers recon mission with that LOL

yeah it's moving at a very very rapid (technology) pace

If I had to craw under homes I'd have a remote camera device on a bot
    that I could wireless control and move under the home (like a bomb robot or
    RC Car) and film the whole place.

then if I see something that needed my personal touch go in, otherwise
    spiders, snakes and etc don't need to see my arse LOL
  10. FLHTbiker

We got a couple of guys in our chapter that are Road Captains and do everything with their GPS including setting up a chapter ride on one of those things. Went on a ride with em and the stupid thing took em onto gravel roads and one dead end road. One ride I was on with em I told em if you take this road it will lead you to the road your looking for. Their response was but the GPS say's to go this way so off they went. Me I went the way that I knew was correct. They didn't have a whole lot to say later on. Some technology in my opinion should stay in the trunk.
  11. JohnnyBiker

I agree with this one. Although I do like my GPS in truck when I get to the cities.
  12. FLHTbiker

The IR camera is more than that, look at the Flir web site. It will open doors for me that hopefully I won't be doing home inspections any longer. I don't like crawl spaces either but you have to go inside them. FHA requires the inspector to probe the mud sill every 18 inches (dry rot and termite damage), can't do that with a remote camera. Crawl spaces are like the dirtiest job on TV, they simple are gross and if people knew what was going on under their house they might move out. My house is a two story (day light basement style with a slab on grade and I like it.
  13. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

wow.......something else to distract a rider...........it needs to be a big flat screen tho........:banghead:
  14. FLHTbiker

Yea just what a rider needs more distraction :D:D
  15. The Tourist

And I agree. You cannot know everything. Look, I make my living with 800 year old technology. As for motorcycle engines, I think I've reached my saturation point. Even my current tool box is a "time capsule" tribute to the shovelhead era.:D

(BTW, when I mentioned 1968 I was only referring to the Posers of Anarchy. They remind me of a club that was snatched up from the 60s. However they act like male eye candy from afternoon soaps. The first time I saw that show I thought some burglar had broken into my old clothes closet.)
  16. JohnnyBiker

God do I hate that show. :gah::gah:
  17. The Tourist

Frankly, it's a good thing that show is a joke. If RUBs and newbs actually thought the thing had any connection to reality they would stampeding the road clothes section to re-create the 1960s--more than they already do.

Yikes, I saw a guy at my dealership wearing a set of SOA rags that are sold on eBay. They still sell ragged sleeveless shirts from OCC. That stuff has to be +5 years old.

But have no fear, the public is fickle. A cell phone that was all the rage six months ago is now obsolete. Truth be told, my old clothes went out of style, became popular again, went out of style once more and now are trendy at my dealership. Think about how many times in your own riding experience that spring-forks came and went.
  18. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
    thing is I've been wearing the same style all me life.. only in the 60's i couldn't afford a leather jacket so i wore a lined jean jacket, talk about something that will hold water. In "71" rode from denver to kansas city in a rain storm stayed there for a year and a half.
  19. The Tourist

I haven't worn leather in over five years. While I wear the same crap I wore in the 1960s I do upgrade with clothing that's warmer and keeps out the cold wind.

BTW, I heard from a woman in motor clothes that Harley is going to drop the traditional Marlon brando style leather jacket from their line of jackets. I think I stopped wearing that stuff in 1984 after freezing long enough to buy something decent.

As for a lined jean jacket, I still wear a denim jacket over a flannel shirt. And I still have a bright orange Harley handkerchief the size of a small tablecloth to keep the wind off my neck. Some things that work never go out of style.
  20. FLHTbiker

I got tired of wrapping loose crap around my neck that your always fighting to keep tight when your cruising down the road. I now wear a neck condom, perfect for keeping you warm.
    I still wear my leather jacket with liner on cold days or nights. Don't care if someone don't like it or not. Lined denim jackets are OK but sure soak up the water and let a lot of cold air in. I've worn a straight denim jacket when traveling and its hot. Dip em in a creek or a sink, slap em on and cools you down till the next gas stop, or creek.