1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Exhaust

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Apr 7, 2013.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I have heard you talk about the the Thunder Header but never asked you what is so good about that pipe? So, what is so good about that pipe. I did a little bit of reading and they too claim that the spiral cut that it incorporates is to produce "turbine like" flow.:confused::confused::confused:
  2. lwedwards

lwedwards Active Member

JB, it has a lot more torque and I don't have to downshift if I want to pass someone or going up a hill. THey are also quite until you get on them. There is an article where they installed them on a new street glide and shows inproved torque on a stock bike. THere are some youtube video's that have show the installation and also how they sound.
  3. JohnnyBiker

Yes, I watched that video. I didn't look closer but what is the price of that system?
  4. lwedwards

lwedwards Active Member

Here is the discription from their web site:

MGS True Duals Chrome

MGS True Duals exhaust systems come complete with head pipe, heat shield, muffler, baffles, all mounting hardware, choice of tips (chrome extra) and two threaded o2 sensor ports with plugs for complete universal fitment of ALL 1995 to 2012 Harley-Davidson FL Touring models.
    Made of 16-gauge steel, stepped head pipes, full-coverage heat shields and massive 4-inch mufflers with a billet tip that produces a deep, rich rumble. Dyno-developed by MGS to produce more horsepower and torque than the competition. In most cases a 15% gain at the rear wheel.
    The MGS True Duals are one of the easiest ways to bolt on additional horsepower and torque. OVER 12+ ft lbs of torque!

MGS Performance Package – Stage I $1089.00

MGS True Duals Black Ceramic

MGS True Duals available in black ceramic with your choice of brushed aluminum, chrome or black tips (additional charge for chrome tip). The MGS True Duals are one of the easiest ways to bolt on additional horsepower and torque. OVER 12+ ft lbs of torque!

$1350.00

They occasionally have specials on Facebook.
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Heres a little proof that you don't have to have a 2-1 to get good power, now this is a bagger, and I can tell you it pulls your arms out and can get the front wheel up. The bike is a 106 SNS with SNS 585 ez start cams, Kuryakyn 57 mm TB, Heads done by Kirby, Vance and Hines True Dual headers into Supertrapp mufflers, tuning by Doc with TTS.

What you need to pay attention to is the Red curve is the power out of the box, prior to tuning, you can also see the number of disks in the exhaust. Note the dip in power, this is tuning and exhaust related, if you get a 2-1 you will have the dip unless you get a supertrapp 2-1.

It also shows tuning is key, notice how the bike has a relatively flat TQ curve at 110 from 3000 to 5000 (All Tq Curves drop around 5250 it's the math) then HP takes over, note the HP has a smooth curve. At this tune he ran out of disks, and has subsequently increased them, TQ and HP jumped up to mid teens on both with more disks,

The bike starts out at 100 hp at 2000 RPM, THIS IS THE CURVE you want for TQ, and HP, the numbers are a function of tuning and the ability of the parts chosen to achieve the numbers.

I just wanted to dispel the internet rumor that true duals suck and this was achieved with the smaller V&H headers... There are larger header systems but that doesn't mean it's right for you.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  6. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

7. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

what a nice tune from doc . the man knows his chit brother ! but also dont forget hrk that 4.3/8 stroke makes them bigger bore and cams shine . I agree that the smaller header tubes are the way to go i know lots of builds in the 130 torque range still running 1.750 pipe with no problem at all!in fact when they go to the larger tubes the motor goes flat in the lower rpm range and richens up cause the exhaust flows slower and leans out in the upper end!and lost of power and torque sticks out its ugly head . back to the smaller pipe rider is happy ! im one of those guys got tired of playing with the rine hart 2-1 large tube header with a huge baffle i cut down and wraped . worked great if the stock cams were in it . not so much when ya hop it up and add duration!
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  8. Lucifer

What a fun bike to ride eh....

Help me out....the red lines are before tune,so the dip would be typical dual header torque dip if you stuck them on and didn't tune it?? The blue lines are after doc dialed it in??
    Could you dial in a carb like that??
  9. baggerpaul

Yep and yep you can dial a carb in like that if its a cv . Gotta spen some time on it and have adjustable ign. I can almost put money on the fact a lot of that dip was taken out with timing. And fuel adjust ment those cams I have in my bike also they come on like a two stroke .and rip your hands of the bars when ya wack the throttle.
  10. Lucifer

So JB could make himself a nice flat torque line regardless of the head pipe he uses,he just has to tune accordingly,play with fuel an timing....His head pipes are fine...
  11. baggerpaul

I think his head pipes are 1 7/8. the dyno will tell the truth .
  12. Lucifer

It will....big exhaust changes things a bit
  13. hotroadking

Yes Paul that's the point I wanted to make to JB that putting on a sewer pipe exhaust with mega headers isn't the solution, I took my thunder header off my 116 and stuck on the big azz 2-1 D&D Boarzilla, and just bolting on it made no more power than the thunderheader, but it sounded better, looked better was bigger

Also wanted to show it's the combination and the tune as well.
  14. baggerpaul

I hear ya ! The pipe makes or breaks the build . Just like car motors I got many customers that tune the motors at diffrent tracks . By change to just the collectors on the headers . Diffrent track diffrent collector . Diffrent top end . Diffrent 60 .foot they say its faster then the tune would take . Three springs and there off . Slip the new one on . Can't argue with that.
  15. baggerpaul

Good part is he should see how the motor acts ride it and see how he likes it . See what the tune looks like then make a change . Break the motor in enjoy it for a while **** he has been off of it for months anything is goona haul ass after not riding it for so long he has nothing but the sporty to compare it too . **** get of the sporty and on to the bagger a 124 feels slow.lol
  16. hotroadking

Yep, I dunno my 124 never felt slow....
  17. baggerpaul

Well you know what I talking about lmfao . Can't sleep eh! .lmfao
  18. hotroadking

I can't ride a sporty without feeling like an elephant on a bicycle in a circus...

Watching the end of Men of Honor, great movie...
  19. JohnnyBiker

As far as the Thunderheader goes, if it is too loud and it seems that a lot of people are saying that that pipe is that, I may not go with it. Hot Rider usually rides behind me so I don't want her to have to listen to that. I am interested in the smaller head pipe of the Thunderheader, the Drago's, and that other one that was suggested. You are right on, I will go through the break in period, get it on the dyno, check the tune and see what it is that I have. I am looking and asking questions because of the larger head pipe that I do have on and would like to a decision made. I am only considering (at this point) pipes with a 1.750" head pipe. I think that I did a good job buying parts for this build. :cool:

Not wanting mega headers, I want the RIGHT HEADERS. If you remember, I eventually went with what you suggested for my Sportster, the Basanni Pro Streets. Great Choice. In this case, and this is just speculation at this point, if I went with a 2-1, the system would have to include (A FALSEY)!!:roflmao: That just isn't negotiable. There are only a few systems that I am aware of that have them available. Drago's, Thunderheader and D&D. My next and nonnegotiable criteria is that the head pipe has to start out a 1.75" and be a stepped pipe. (For 2-1) systems.
  20. JohnnyBiker

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am thinking that I will lose velocity as I did open up the exhaust valve up and had some, but very little work done inside the port. Like BaggerPaul said, no matter what exhaust I have on it now, it is going feel wicked because I haven't been on the bike since November. 500-1000 mile break in period will only take me about a week to put on so I will know very shortly what is happening. Going with that smaller head pipe, if needed should do the trick. However, I don't see anything wrong with trying out a different exhaust than the norm, best thing is, if I can get what it is that I am looking for for a great price, why not???