1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Expecting a visitor this weekend.

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Goose, Sep 19, 2005.

1. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

thanks

Thanks for everyone's concern. SO FAR, looks like San Antonio will get some rain and some wind. I am going to plan on loosing power, but since most of our lines are buried, may not...have to see. Goose is planning to leave his home today, sounds like the roads are packed, so not sure when he will arrive SA today...... I will try to keep you posted on how we are doing! Thanks!
  2. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

Update

Well, Goose and his wife arrived here in SA yesterday. We put them up at the house and had good conversation. Today, watching the news, things look to be hitting North of Houston. They called the Sheriff's office in their town and the mandatory evac order has been lifted. Tho none of the stores are open and the gas is off, the electricity is still on for now, they decided to head back down today. The thoughts are where their house is they will see some wind/rain, but none of the storme surge. Told them that if things looked too bad as they were heading back to turn around and come on back up.... have to wait and see what happens!
  3. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

thanks for the heads up..They decided to head back? sheeeee. I hope that the storm doesn't change paths again.
  4. CD

CD Guest

Thanks for the heads up. Get home safe Goose.
  5. Goose

Goose New Member

We're back. The storm is still off shore, big swirls of clouds giving it away. It's pretty windy out, 25-30 mph, higher in gusts. Supposed to get up to near hurricane strength. It's going in north of Galveston, can see it on the radar loops now. It's such a HUGE storm is why we're getting anything out of it.

Not many people in town. One restaurant in town, The Green Iquana, was the only thing open. Guy's making a killing. :D There's a dusk to dawn curfew. I feel better being back to secure the place myself. I have the generator ready just in case. In Claudette, I think the power went down when we were still in tropical storm strength, about 60 mph winds, so I might need it before it's all over. Looks like Beaumont/Port Aurthor is going to catch hell. I have friends there, too. Hoping the best for 'em.

Thanks to AFNurse and family for their tremendous hospitality. We were wanderers for a while there. They made it a good time! And, nice bike!

Just lookin' outside, the tree limbs are whipping it up right now. Ought to shoot a few pix of "hurricane palms" across the street, LOL.
  6. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

good luck and be careful.
  7. CD

CD Guest

Put a helmet on when you go out to shoot pics!;)
  8. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

Just wondering how You Texas folks weathered the storm. It looks as though the worst is over now according to the news. Everyone OK? Any major losses?
  9. Goose

Goose New Member

It all went way north of us. All the bad stuff was east of Houston and the most destruction was from Beaumont/Port Arthur into coastal Louisiana. We didn't get much more than a good breeze. So, we're all hunky dory down here. Beaumont/Port Arthur ain't too well off, though. I have a friend in Beaumont I haven't heard from, probably can't phone out or e-mail. To my knowledge, no one in Texas was hurt, though. I'm sure he got out.
  10. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

Well that's a bit of good news after what happened in NO. I thought for sure this one was going to be even worse with the exception of the levees of course. Rita was one big fat broad looking at it on the radar! No offense to any big fat broads actually named Rita out there. :D
  11. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Glad you and the family made it through the whole storm OK, Goose. Been through a few Typhoons in the ocean but never a hurricane on land. I was wondering, they know that they can get these killer hurricanes so why do they build everything right along the coast in so many of those places. You would think that building inland would be better so that you could stay away from the storm surges a bit better. :confused:

Marc
  12. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

Yep

To add to that,,, If they would build with brick and not wood most or all the structures would still be there. :eek:
  13. SK

SK New Member

Just like the big bad wolf and the three little pigs..Katrina and Rita just huff & puff and blow the houses down.

Why do they build right on the coast? Many folk's satiable desire to have beachfront property or the beauty of the oceanview..and..because they can. I've started looking into similar property on the Oregon Coast, but they don't quite get the storms that the Gulf and Atlantic coasts get (water's too cold in the Pacific). Rains a lot, but that's the nature of the beast I guess.
  14. Goose

Goose New Member

Funny about the brick, but brick is not strong at all. Many of the older houses after Carla were still standing while the brick structures were flattened. Cinder block re-bar reinforced buildings are strong enough to stand, but they won't have a roof nor much left worth saving inside. The velocity of the wind blowing over a roof creates low pressure compared to the air inside the structure, Bernoulli's principle, the way an airplane flies. High winds actually suck the roof off rather than blow it off. With the roof gone, the rest loses structural integrity and brick catches the wind well. The older homes breath better and lots of times roof will stay intact, structurally anyway.

The only really windproof structure is steel beam construction. Some homes down here are going up with steel, the latest craze, rather than with traditional 2x4 framework. Might blow the shingles off, but the framework stays and walls retain their strength. The roofing joists and construction is steel bolted to steel. Even that is toast if you're in the tidal surge zone, though.

Building in low lying areas is just plain stupidity IMHO. Major hurricanes have been quite infrequent the last 30 years. We've been on a down cycle. Now, we're on the up cycle. People have short memories, want to move close to the water. There's lots of immigrant Texans down here, too, and others that weren't around to witness our last cat 4, Carla in 1961. If you went through Carla and I did, you will NEVER forget the lesson!

We've dodged a few bullets, Allen in '80, Gilbert in '88. We've had small storms like Alicia in '83 and Claudette in '02. There was a storm in about '97 called Bret that was a cat five, small in area, that went in below corpus. The total destruction area of that storm was maybe 20 miles wide, went into the Kennedy and King ranches where no one lives. People get complacent after such storms don't hurt anything. Bret was about the size and power of Andrew. Think of what it would have done if it'd hit 50 miles up the coast and dead on Corpus Christi! The only reason Andrew did such damage was it just happened to hit a highly populated area. Florida doesn't have much coastline that isn't populated, not like Texas does.

A lot of the beach homes like on West Galveston island are rich ba$tards that could give a poop if their million dollar beach house blows away. They'll just rebuild it and finance it with some minor stock sale. Who needs insurance when you're a billionaire? Anyone NOT rich would be STUPID to build there. Alicia washed away the beach and a few rows of homes in Jamaica beach, west Galveston, were claimed by the state cause the law reads any land in between the water and the dunes is public. Suddenly, that property was between the dunes and beach. There was a lot of crying over that, but hey, if you got more money than brains, sorry! Let the buyer beware. That property there probably goes for a quarter million an acre, too.

When I bought here in Port Lavaca, I was insistent on high ground. This house was fresh built, on a 22 foot bluff even though I can see the bay from here. We're 26 miles from the gulf, upper end of the bay. So, it's pretty surge proof. Carla hit Port Lavaca head on and didn't get water to this house with a 20+ foot surge at Port O'Conner. It flattened Port O'Conner and Olivia, nothing left down there. There was a nice water front home in Olivia with the use of a fishing pier and boat ramp right out the door when I bought here. They wanted 35k for the place (1982 prices). I liked it a lot, but knew the history down here. It was on a bluff, but only 10 feet off the water. So, I passed on that one. I'm sure they sold it rather quickly cause it was a nice little home. But, time dulls memory and folks don't think about storms when they buy until one comes.

It's sort of the same reason you get bone heads saying they're going to stay and "ride it out". You get a Carla in here and most folks better own a friggin' surf board if they're going to "ride it out" cause they're going to be riding the surf for a ways. :rolleyes: In such cases, Darwin rules.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2005
  15. SK

SK New Member

Ain't that the truth. I wonder how many insurance companies are going to fully Hurricane insure newly built homes in these devastated areas?

You did the right thing thinking about the future in where you bought your house. While not in a flooding area, before I bought my last home I was able to check out the lot during a huge downpour of a storm before buying it. It drained real well..so I bought it. A lot of people don't think about that before buying. I think buying in the Winter or during storm season is a good way to check out the possible worst scenarios.