1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

EZ-Just Needle No Effect Rich Idle Fouling

Discussion in 'EZ-Just Idle Mixture Screw' started by malmech, Jun 7, 2012.

1. malmech

malmech New Member

Ok Guy's I really need help. New here.

1988 FLHTC, 1990 FLT Carb, tore down dipped and cleaned. Prior to tear down I was getting spitting and a lean condition in the 0-2000 RPM range.

Rebuilt the carb with the CV tuners kit along with the EZ-Just Needle.

Now the bike runs rich to fouling the plugs after a minute or so. I cannot get it to idle. When throttled up the motor clears out and runs fine at 3000 RPMS.

The EZ-Just does nothing when turned all the way in. I am running the stock 45 pilot jet along with the 180 main jet.

I was also wondering if the float setting is correct. This carb has the old style float. I set the float to 18.5mm or .728. With the stock needle, the float was set to .750. But the new Viton needle is longer. Anyone know what the float should be at? The diagram CV supplies is wrong for my float.

Also no intake leaks. 1st thing I checked after installing the manifold seals.

Any input would be helpful here. I am ready to scrap this idea.
  2. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Going by your description my first suspicion is the idle circuit is clogged or blocked. Posted at the top of the forum category for the [PAGE="http://bike-talk.com/forum/cvp-stage-1-tuners-kit/"]Tuners Kit[/PAGE] is a list of common tuning problems including #3 that describes clearing out the idle circuit passages. I realize you have already cleaned the carburetor but it is common for debris to get stuck inside these tiny passages.

Before getting into this, it's worth inspecting the enrichener (choke). If the choke is not fully closed thus pushing the plunger all the way into the seat the carburetor will constantly be rich and quickly foul the plugs. Make sure the plastic nut that screws the cable into the carburetor body is not cross threaded and is screwed in flush.

From the "[PAGE="http://bike-talk.com/forum/cvp-stage-1-tuners-kit/16628-faq-carburetor-tuning-issues.html"]FAQ Tuning Issues[/PAGE]":

#3 Clogged idle mixture circuit.
    There are a series of tiny passages connecting the mixture screw, pilot jet, and air intake jet located on the front face of the carburetor (pictured below). Dirt or old fuel that has become lacquer will clog these passages causing hesitation or lean popping.
    Cleaning the idle circuit passages. Requires compressed air.

1) Remove the pilot jet.
    2) Remove the mixture screw, spring, washer, and o-ring.
    3) Spray a small amount of carburetor or fuel injection cleaner into the pilot jet passage and mixture screw passage. Do not allow any cleaning fluid to come in contact with the slide diaphragm (remove if needed).
    4) Use compressed air to clear the passages. WEAR PROTECTIVE EYEWEAR.

a) Start by covering the pilot passage hole with your thumb and use the nozzle of the compressed air on the mixture screw hole. Air should come out of the air intake jet shown in the picture below.
    b) Repeat the same procedure covering the mixture hole and using the air on the pilot jet hole.

Inspect the pilot jet for any foreign material that could have become lodged inside.

[​IMG]
  3. malmech

malmech New Member

I tried everything...no go, however, I scored an NOS CV #27421-99A. It came off a 99 Softail at the dealer. Would you know (other than re-jetting) if
    this will work? I noticed the bowl has no overflow tube. Is this a concern?
    It looks identical otherwise. Thanks....
  4. malmech

malmech New Member

Also, would you think I would have to drill out the mixture port to get to the adjustment needle? Or would the preset on this carb be fine?
  5. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

The 99A carburetor is a good model as it uses the newer float assembly. The only thing you will need to change is jetting and the mixture screw setting. The factory set mixture on that carb would have been specific to both the model and region (i.e. California and Arizona being leaner).
  6. malmech

malmech New Member

Just got it on the bike. Fired up great...gonna test drive it..thanks
  7. malmech

malmech New Member

Oh..as far as the setting. The carb came off a 2000 softail purchased in Milwaukee, WI at the dealer. I know the guy that bought the bike. He had a big bore kit put on it at the dealer w/ a Sceaming Eagle carb before delivery. I will test run it and read the plugs.....stay tuned