1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

EZ Just on CV

Discussion in 'EZ-Just Idle Mixture Screw' started by 84FXRS, Apr 9, 2014.

1. 84FXRS

84FXRS Member

I got a tuners kit frim CVP over the winter, and just getting it in now.
    setting the EZ just screw, I dont get any change , that I can notice,
    either all the way in , or out past 3 turns.
    I didnt go much farther, cause my screw fits loose, I taped the
    threads w teflon..
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

well that's not good , I would go back & double check all your work ,I've put the kit on three bike with no problem &, getting ready to order one for my 94 Evo , I do remember reading where Kenfused says some of the earley carbs had different size threads or something along those lines
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Generally with no change it means the pilot jet is too large and no adj will help

Drop the pilot jet down one size
    newsteve1 likes this.
  4. 84FXRS

84FXRS Member

Ok, I'll try that.. what about the loose fit of the EZjust in the carb body.
    should that be a concern
  5. 84FXRS

84FXRS Member

would you drop from a 45 down to the 44 or 42
  6. hotroadking

The carbs are not perfectly machined, I'd check with Ken or he should be along on here soon to address the fit of the screw. Drop it to either and check, you have a 50/50 chance of being correct, myself I'd go to the 42 with a stock bike with just pipes and filter.
  7. hotroadking

BTW I moved your thread to the CV Carb Section
  8. 84FXRS

84FXRS Member

OK, by the way it also has a Andrews EV27, if the cam would be an issue.
  9. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

the EV27 should not hurt the tuneing , it's a mid to high range cam
  10. 84FXRS

84FXRS Member

I just installed the 42 pilot, and still the idle does not change when the EZ just is screwed in or out. I still have concern on how loose the EZ Just fits,
    and wonder if that could be adding to the issue.
  11. hotroadking

put the stock screw back in and see if it acts the same or actually changes
    the idle.
  12. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

I would first check that the EZ-Just is actually screwing all the way in. From start to fully seated the EZ-Just takes 10-12 complete rotations, and when seated the tip of the screw can be barely seen extending into the throat just behind the butterfly flap. Sometimes carbon build up or a bashed thread inside the carb can prevent the screw from being fully screwed in. So backing out 3 turns from that sticking point not only doesn't meter the mixture but will be very loose.

This is what the EZ-Just looks like when seated. Only 1-2 threads will be visible.
    [​IMG]

As posted in the CV Performance mixture screw article:
  13. 84FXRS

84FXRS Member

its seems the o ring shifted on the way in, and was preventing it from going in properly. After seeing picture you sent , and reviewing the linked article, I was now able to see it was not going in, and make sure it went all the way in..
    Tmrrw I will start her up, and expect no further problems. Let you know then.
  14. 84FXRS

84FXRS Member

wish there had been no further problems. so I let it go for a coupla days , looking it over and giving it some thought. Today as I am looking it at the carb,
    I saw the elbow boot had come off the enricher cable. Got it pretty well back on. That seems to have helped . It is adjusting now, set to 2 1/2 out.
    Runns pretty good still had a coupla pops, will go thru it when I have time tmrrw.
  15. 96roadking

96roadking Member

Thank you, that was very useful.

I bought a tap, lightly ran it back and forward by hand, and now the EZ Just screws right in. There's still a tight spot but that seems more of an advantage now than a disadvantage.

One question just for the sake of information, if you venture past this way again Ken, when screwed right in, does the EZ Just bind on its spring ... or does the tip of the needle risk hitting the carb body and damaging either?

I think I hear the spring compressing/binding. I just wanted to be sure I've got the thread complete clean and am not forcing it nor damaging it ... in the old 'turn it til is strips and then back off a quarter' mode.

From your other site ... it looks as if the needle cannot 'bottom out', it is just pushing into the orifice and the pressures stopping it are from the sides.

Thanks

[​IMG]
    Last edited: May 12, 2014
  16. kenfuzed

The tip of the needle passes up through a tiny hole into the throat. The side of the needle tip (#4) actually meters the air/fuel mixture that is injected at position #2, and is drawn up into the throat through the tiny hole by manifold vacuum.

The spring places all of the tension on the screw to prevent it from walking. Make sure you have the washer between the spring and o-ring to keep the sharp spring from cutting the o-ring. Its not that uncommon to hear the spring as it begins to bind.

When the EZ-Just is fully screwed in (seated) it should look like this:
    [​IMG]
  17. 96roadking

96roadking Member

Thanks.

I know the hole you mean, just beneath the butterfly, I've never seen the tip protrude from it.

Did you 'tune' or re-design the angle and dimensions of your EZ-Just?

It is possible to damage or blunt the tip in normal use?

(I recently fitted your accelerator nozzle, although I have not had a chance to try it yet. I think except for the duct, I have a completely worked over carburettor now. I much prefer the simple and to the point theory behind your work rather than the 10,000 alternatives approach of, say, the Dynojets with all their circlips and settings ... Keep It Simple, and go ride the thing is my philosophy!).
  18. kenfuzed

The tip of the EZ-Just is not exactly sharp like a needle, but it doesn't need to be since the metering takes place along the length rather than the tip. Generally the tip will barely protrude into the throat as long as 1) the screw is fully screwed in and, 2) there is no old pieces of old o-ring or debris inside the bore.

Having said that, I have seen EZ-Just screws and stock mixture screws dropped on the ground which can either bend or chip off the tip, but if only chipped it will not likely effect its function since metering occurs half way down the side of the needle.