1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

EZ-Just screw: too tight or too loose (how many turns)

Discussion in 'EZ-Just Idle Mixture Screw' started by 96roadking, Jan 26, 2014.

1. 96roadking

96roadking Member

Hi.

I've gone the route of a deluxe tuning kit, rebuild kit, and EZ-Just screw. I've read the various thread re screws being too loose.

One question; I cannot work out if mine is too tight or too loose (or both!)

How many turns should it go in before it seats? I only get about 2 or 3 until it feels like it is seating ... or, conversely, I can only turn it 2 or 3 turns 'out' after I think it is seat at which point it falls out ... and I don't want to force it. However, the old OEM one goes something like 9 or 11 (cannot remember and is not with me right now).

My carb had had the plug removed before I got to it. I'm thinking now I am hitting a tight spot. Obviously, I don't want to damage the kit.

*IF* a kit was ever released with a threaded top hat insert or helcoil to suit, I think I'd be first in the queue.

Ditto, if you were to sell the little bronze top hats that the long screw uses to go through the plastic top.
  2. 96roadking

96roadking Member

Perhaps a better question to ask would be, "what is the measurement between the carb and the knurled knob of the screw?".

I can turn the OEM screw in 12.5 times but the EZ-Just only about 3.5. I don't want to risk damaging it.

I've measured it up to the outside of the throat, and risked forcing it in a little. The threads on it start to polish as if they are cutting into the alloy a little.

How deep does it go in? Does the needle tip go all the way upto the small hole?

Thanks
  3. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

I noticed that with mine also. I have yet to test fire it and see how my adjustment is, but I found pretty much the same thing, and that is after chasing threads with an M6x0.75 tap. I may throw some nail polish on threads just to keep it secure as it seems pretty close to falling out.
  4. 96roadking

96roadking Member

I'm thinking for the price of a 6mm Helicoil or threaded insert, it might be worth doing the job properly.

I bought the item before reading over this forum and am a bit shocked by the reports of bikes dropping screws mid-journey. This might be worth the manufacturer mentioning it on the sale page.

I think their response is reasonable enough ... it's cast alloy and the tolerances are loose and wide ... but I am glad I was made aware of it before I also started the bike up and rode off.

I've got some catching up to do but will see what measurements I can take myself later. I'm pretty sure I am not bottoming out, and hence damaging the tip, but there is no way I can either manipulate it by finger further in, nor leave it loose out. I would need to use a large screw driver and considerable force.

• Is that what the thread is meant to be ... -0.75?
    Thanks.
  5. Roadster guy

I took my EZ just mixture screw to a well regarded fastener/contractor supplier here, and he measured it as M6 x0.75. Sold me the tap, I cleaned the threads and installed my EZ just. I will likely remove it, and apply some nail polish to threads before riding to ensure it stays in place.
  6. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Delayed response here, but yes the original screw and EZ-Just are both M6 x 0.75. The major difference is thread pitch. In the early days we were using the thread pitch supplied by the factory (Keihin) but started finding that a select few* were too loose. This was due to a flaw with the carburetor threads and their manufacturing process which resulted in over cut internal threads (broad pitch) that was not tight enough to hold a standard 6x.75 screw. Instead of fixing this the factory was fitting those odd carburetors with special screws... thus our EZ-Just would end up loose. To combat this we increased the thread pitch and recommended teflon tape if the screw felt loose.

As with any compromise there's always the reverse that can hold true. Increasing our thread pitch has resulted in another select few* who have warped or inaccurate threads which can feel like the EZ-Just is binding half way in. This can often be overcome by working the screw in/out with some light machine oil (3-in-1). The EZ-Just will typically screw in ~11 turns to the point of being seated and only show 1 thread at most between the shoulder and tower. If the EZ-Just does not screw in this far, it is not fully installed and you will risk having it fall out.
    [​IMG]

If you feel you have one of these odd carburetors and the EZ-Just cannot be worked through the threads, please contact me and I'll send you another that is on the low end of the thread pitch tolerance.

* I want to emphasize select few. Despite there being a handful of posts about loose threads or the screw falling out, those only accounted for very few out of 10,000+ EZ-Just's that have been sold (less than 0.08%). This is no consolation for someone unlucky enough to have one of those carburetors, but we try assist anyone who has ever been in this circumstance.
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I pretty much figured it was a place where the tolerances for
    machining were not that tight, it's a screw put in and capped
    and not meant to be moved by the factory.

As Ken said work it in oiled and take your time don't force
    and don't over tighten.
    FLHTbiker likes this.
  8. Roadster guy

Thanks for the info with the pic. Now I know where mine should roughly be.